C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show me your smoked Tail lights and markers

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:42 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
New law makes it a fail on your inspection. I have passes all inspections however. Last one this past December.
I passed as well until "my guy" changed jobs. The new guys, no dice. When DPS pulls up behind you it doesn't matter if it passed inspection. He didn't like the no front plate either
Old 01-22-2015, 07:04 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by spdkilz911
I passed as well until "my guy" changed jobs. The new guys, no dice. When DPS pulls up behind you it doesn't matter if it passed inspection. He didn't like the no front plate either
As far as I know the law only gives inspection station the power to fail. Is there a part that DPS can ticket? It was not on the notice sent to the inspection station, they let me read it. Anyway it has passed with 2 different inspectors and different inspection stations.

Passed many DPS with no problems. PS no front plate either.

I just put LED tinted tails on, they are very bright day or night so I don't expect any problems from DPS.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:25 PM
nightracer
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Vermont you could get a ticket for any modifications. Typically the only ones who get these tickets are teen age boys. The way I see it, I'm not a kid and have every right to do as I please with the car I dreamed of for so long. I tinted all but the head lights and windows. I would NEVER put a front plate on any corvette. I bought the stick on tinted lenses and although they are good enough for me, they are cheap and painted would be better.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:49 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
As far as I know the law only gives inspection station the power to fail. Is there a part that DPS can ticket? It was not on the notice sent to the inspection station, they let me read it. Anyway it has passed with 2 different inspectors and different inspection stations.

Passed many DPS with no problems. PS no front plate either.

I just put LED tinted tails on, they are very bright day or night so I don't expect any problems from DPS.
I had the same guy inspect the Camaro for about 10 years. I sold the car a couple years ago. A couple of years before I sold it, I had problems with the inspections. I finally found someone to inspect it, although he said he shouldn't. I ended up buying a used set of tail lights and swapping them out before the inspection. That worked until they decided to hit me on the limo tint. Two days before I sold the Camaro, DPS pulled me over and gave me a warning for the tail lights and no front plate. The tail lights were not dark, but they were tinted. Which by law it not legal.
I have been thinking about the JW red led tail lights.

Last edited by spdkilz911; 01-23-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:11 PM
MikeJr72
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-23-2015, 08:25 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ryker
A simple rear end crash that your nice vette was damaged woukd include a check In the box for improper lighting as a vehicle contributing condition.

Narrative would include: Vehicle #2 had the rear brake lights, taillight, turn signals and rear reflectors spray painted for reduced visabilty.

Why do YOU care? Leave your tail lights alone if you wish and keep your snarky comments to yourself. This is not third grade.

Matt
Old 01-23-2015, 08:27 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Capt Van
I sprayed mine with Nite Shades then a couple coats of clear

http://www.amazon.com/VHT-Nite-Shade.../dp/B001THRG9Q

After

I didn't spray the side markers. I have tried the stick on crap the spray is 100% better
Is the nightshades removable if you don't like it? What kind of prep did you use?

Matt
Old 01-23-2015, 08:42 PM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

Plastidipped (rattle can) from Home Depot. Watch "dip your car" on you tube

Last edited by choppychop; 01-23-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:52 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
When I had my car repainted Jet Black Pearl (metallic), I had them paint the rear and side lights too, blend of body paint and clear coat. Love the look, the light shines through really bright too.

Just "sic" looking, some have "that" look if you know what I mean, it works well what you have done
NSF PS how low is it??
Old 01-25-2015, 06:16 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by quickcat
Is the nightshades removable if you don't like it? What kind of prep did you use?

Matt
Never mind.... I looked it up and the niteshades "cannot be satisfactorily removed" once applied. It is a pretty serious commitment.

Matt
Old 01-25-2015, 06:46 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by quickcat
Never mind.... I looked it up and the niteshades "cannot be satisfactorily removed" once applied. It is a pretty serious commitment.

Matt
I have successfully removed niteshades in minutes on my last tint job.

It honestly took like 2-3 minutes on each taillight.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:14 PM
Salt
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First time posting with the new Format.... Currently liking the Silver and Black Theme
Old 01-25-2015, 08:18 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Old 01-26-2015, 08:21 AM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slowstang305
I have successfully removed niteshades in minutes on my last tint job.

Remove Tail light Tint ( VHT Niteshade ) in under 5 minutes! safe on plastic - YouTube

It honestly took like 2-3 minutes on each taillight.
Thank you... That gives me something to think about.

Matt
Old 01-26-2015, 10:41 AM
11GrandSport
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I purchased precut vinyl for rear taillights, third brake light, reverse lights, and driving lights (haven't installed the driving light kit). Very easy to install. Lightly mist light, peel film, stick to light, and squeegee film to light to remove water under film. Can easily be removed, but not reused.

Purchased side marker lights from corvettemods. They are ghost painted to match then led shines through paint when on.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:41 PM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

[/URL]
I did the tail lights one coat lighter than the markers to avoid unnecessary contact with officer friendly.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:56 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by eddie44
[/URL]
I did the tail lights one coat lighter than the markers to avoid unnecessary contact with officer friendly.
What did you use? That looks really shiny!

Get notified of new replies

To Show me your smoked Tail lights and markers

Old 01-26-2015, 05:46 PM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by slowstang305
What did you use? That looks really shiny!
I had a body shop do them. They're painted. They did the black GS emblem on the fender too.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:26 PM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by 11GrandSport
I purchased precut vinyl for rear taillights, third brake light, reverse lights, and driving lights (haven't installed the driving light kit). Very easy to install. Lightly mist light, peel film, stick to light, and squeegee film to light to remove water under film. Can easily be removed, but not reused.

Purchased side marker lights from corvettemods. They are ghost painted to match then led shines through paint when on.

You have the cleanest GS I've ever seen. Makes me regret not getting black. Do you have anymore pics of the side markers?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:29 PM
11GrandSport
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by racerx3317
You have the cleanest GS I've ever seen. Makes me regret not getting black. Do you have anymore pics of the side markers?
Thank you.

You want pictures of them on or off? If you tell me what kind of picture your wanting I will see if I have any and or take one of what your looking for. It seems like I can never find the perfect picture of other peoples mods when I am looking so I am always willing to take any picture for someone else. Here is 2 more after installing spoiler last week.

Quick Reply: Show me your smoked Tail lights and markers