C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Logo Airbags and 2012 steering wheels for all C6's available at GMPARTSHOUSE

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Y2KC5
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Y2KC5
Is the airbag OEM or from another supplier?
Just went to your web site, never mind. That's a great price for an air bag.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What is involved in removing the 2011 airbag and replacing it with the 2012 airbag? Can I do it or does it require a GM technician? Are warranties affected?
Old 02-08-2012, 04:20 PM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CK 6
What is involved in removing the 2011 airbag and replacing it with the 2012 airbag? Can I do it or does it require a GM technician? Are warranties affected?
It takes about 10 minutes. All you have to do is pop the two latches inside the wheel, carefully lift the bag off, disconnect the two electrical connectors (which have safety clips) and then connect the same two connectors to the new bag assembly and simply press the bag back into the wheel (it will lock in place automatically).

The only tool you need is an allen key or other skinny object to poke through the holes behind the wheel to release the latches.

It's far simpler than the phrase "air bag replacement" would imply.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:36 PM
cyber-vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my suede steering wheel and air bag last year. Love suede steering wheel.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:45 PM
KRPTONT
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So your saying that this is pretty easy to install. What about the steering wheel if I replaced it? What's that entail?

Originally Posted by JSB LS3
It takes about 10 minutes. All you have to do is pop the two latches inside the wheel, carefully lift the bag off, disconnect the two electrical connectors (which have safety clips) and then connect the same two connectors to the new bag assembly and simply press the bag back into the wheel (it will lock in place automatically).

The only tool you need is an allen key or other skinny object to poke through the holes behind the wheel to release the latches.

It's far simpler than the phrase "air bag replacement" would imply.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:01 PM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HrtGuy
So your saying that this is pretty easy to install. What about the steering wheel if I replaced it? What's that entail?
Very easy...20-30 minutes if you're unfamiliar with the procedure.

1) (recommended) disconnect the battery OR pull the SRS/Airbag fuse for safety.

2) use an allen key, small flat screwdriver or other long thin device to remove the airbag assembly. There are small holes on the back of the steering wheel behind the airbag (oriented at about 4 and 8 o'clock).

3) feel around with your tool of choice until you feel something springy...push inward to release that side of the bag. repeat on the other side and the airbag will be free of the wheel. This is probably the most difficult part of the whole deal as the thing your aiming for is nothing but a thin metal bar like a piece of wire. It may take a minute to find and catch it.

4) carefully remove the yellow safety clips and disconnect the two plugs from the back of the bag (color coded, you can't mess it up). Set the bag assembly aside (don't lose those little clips!)

5) you might want to snap a quick photo of the inside of the wheel to keep track of where/how the wires behind the bag tuck in.

6) disconnect all applicable electrical connectors (horn and audio/bluetooth if equipped).

7) Remove the large center nut that holds the steering wheel on the shaft. I believe it's about 21mm or so.

8) The wheel and the shaft have alignment marks. Take note of these for re-installation. For what it's worth, my wheel felt like it wouldn't really go back on unless it was oriented correctly but I suppose your results may vary. In any case, it's no big deal if you just pay attention.

9) grab the wheel at 3 or 9 o'clock and pull gently while simultaneously giving the opposite side a little whack with the heel of your hand. reverse and repeat. The wheel will work itself loose within two or three hits. No special puller needed.

10) be careful not to get any of the wires caught as you remove the wheel from the steering column.

11) Reverse the process with your new stuff taking note of the wheel alignment and making sure the wiring behind the bag is tucked in where it belongs so the bag simply snaps back into position.

Nothing to it.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Sunnych
Navigator

I have a 2006 Convertible with paddles but with no radio or bluetooth buttons, will the steering wheel work and is their any way to get a wheel without the buttons?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 PM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sunnych
I have a 2006 Convertible with paddles but with no radio or bluetooth buttons, will the steering wheel work and is their any way to get a wheel without the buttons?
I'm waiting for this too....I haven't seen anyone make the plain blank spoke inserts for the 2012 wheels yet.

The wheel will work fine even with the buttons. If you want to make them functional, I believe it can be done by sourcing the 3LT-specific clock spring and column wiring harness from a newer car.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2KC5
Is the airbag OEM or from another supplier?
This is a Genuine GM Part.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 02-08-2012, 09:38 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HrtGuy
Yes, is pretty easy. I'd say a 2 out of 5 on the difficulty scale only because you have be careful with those plastic yellow clips and not break them or your airbag light will stay on.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 AM
cyber-vette
Racer

Default **DIY Steering Wheel Removal and clock spring**

Here is what I read before removing the steering wheel and air bag.

**DIY Steering Wheel Removal and clock spring**

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ck-spring.html
Old 02-09-2012, 10:39 PM
patrickt

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

very useful info thanks for posting
Order Your GM Parts at www.CULTRAGfactoryparts.com
patrick@cultragperformance.com
1-484-334-8833
Old 02-09-2012, 11:08 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
For 2005 you will need to purchase the steering wheel and airbag.
You'll also need to replace the clockspring.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 AM
patrickt

Originally Posted by mpuzach
You'll also need to replace the clockspring.
that is correct
Old 02-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I've asked this question in a related thread but I'll ask it again, maybe someone in this thread will have an answer. Will the C6 steering wheel work on the C5? I'd like to put one of these on my 2000 FRC.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:24 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My 06 3LT manual has no steering wheel radio controls. Is it available like that? If not and I purchase the 2012 wheel can these controls be made to work with the nav? If so what else is needed? If I read it correctly my original air bag can be reused in the new wheel.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Shysterman69
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Just ordered Suede wheel with red stitch, GS Airbag, Suede shift ****, and shift boot all with red stitching. Can't wait to get these on the car. Still debating on e-brake...

Get notified of new replies

To Custom Logo Airbags and 2012 steering wheels for all C6's available at GMPARTSHOUSE

Old 02-10-2012, 08:44 PM
debo2k3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard the 2012 air bag won't work for 2006-2011, some technical issues. I doubt it. Please advice.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Stockcar Axeman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I received and installed my 2011 Suede steering wheel a few weeks back. What a difference it makes. So much more grip. They should be all made this way. 100% improvement. Some don't like suede as they say it's hard to clean. To each their own. I have driven and raced 100's of different types of cars and this is one of the best feeling wheels I have had my hands on. Great price! Very easy to install. Highly recommend. Thanks GMPartshouse!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 PM
patrickt

Originally Posted by Nd4spd2
I've asked this question in a related thread but I'll ask it again, maybe someone in this thread will have an answer. Will the C6 steering wheel work on the C5? I'd like to put one of these on my 2000 FRC.
I have not heard of anyone doing this

Quick Reply: Custom Logo Airbags and 2012 steering wheels for all C6's available at GMPARTSHOUSE