C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB radio for Vettes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 03:00 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefili
I had a 78 that came with a CB radio incorporated in the stock Stereo, the car had a bracket on the dash for the MIC, this was all Delco and was an GM option for 78. My car was the only one I ever saw with that option and I have been around vette's my whole life, so that option must have been very rare. I was the first owner although I did not order the car, Brought it new from a Chevy dealer in Saratoga NY.
I have a buddy who still has his 78 Silver Anniversary Vette and it has the original CB in it. I'm pretty sure it still works, too.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:09 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Our Corvette Club uses them too. But not for finding cops. We use them when we travel together. We all have the ones with the CTCSS/FRS on them and we monitor Channel 4/23. I have the Cobra that you can buy at Walmarts for about $30.00 to $40,00. The set comes with two walkie talkies and have rechargeable batteries and a charger. They reach about a mile. They're really nice if you are traveling with someone and need to talk back and forth. And a lot better than screwing with a cell phone. I'm sure that you can pick up any CB with them.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The early days of CB. Late 60's early 70's? Had to apply to the FCC for a License to broadcast. I still remember my FCC assigned call letters. KSF2568
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

First off, I suggest you don't drive so fast you have to worry about getting a speeding ticket. If you want to enjoy your car's performance (and your own driving skill) find a road course venue. There's just no comparision and you don't have to worry about a ticket or worse.

I suggest you check on the Internet...there are likely apps for smartphones with real time updates and warnings about speed traps. That said a CB radio may help augment the information you can get. Good luck...stay safe.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM
CaliforniaDave
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My club uses CB radios to stay in touch when spread out over 1/2 mile. Here's the antenna link http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...5-2012-c6.aspx
and here's the radio link http://www.google.com/products/catal...=0CI4BEPMCMAc#

Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:01 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
The early days of CB. Late 60's early 70's? Had to apply to the FCC for a License to broadcast. I still remember my FCC assigned call letters. KSF2568
This is true as I remember you had to have a license and use call letters for identification. But after 1975 when the movie "Convoy" came out CB radio spread like wildfire so the requirement for having a license was never more. In 1971 those channels were crystal clear.
We had Lafayette electronics, (Now out of business) Radio Shack, Johnson Radios-Very expensive, Pace CB radio-expensive, Cobra-expensive. There were also tube base stations still where the radio had to warm up.
These radios base/mobil/portable cost alot more back then than today.
The following users liked this post:
chevyorange (05-07-2020)
Old 01-30-2012, 11:09 AM
kliph
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

CB was an amateur radio frequency at one time, 11-meter band.
chevyorange (05-07-2020)
Old 01-30-2012, 12:10 PM
TexSon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our club uses CBs to keep in touch on runs. I use a Cobra compact remote mount CB. Basically everything is in the hand held mike and it works great. I have the remote installation box behind the drivers seat and it is basically hidden. The key thing to a CB and how well it works is the antenna. You need a zero ground plane antenna since the Vette is plastic. FireStick makes a great one. I recommend a 4 foot antenna. A lot of folks in the club have the 2 foot and they have no range. I have a pattern for a mount that attaches to the back license plate that I can email you if you decide to go that route (just PM me). You do have to keep the mount on as there is really no good temporary mount. I unscrew the antenna from the mount spring. A window mount will probably only give you mile or less range due to the short size of the antenna. Might make you feel good but it is about the same range as the police radar and less than their laser.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Kwagnerhvac
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by category4
Here's what I use: http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...2005-2012.html

although I don't use it much as smart phone apps such as Waze do a great job for me.
Thats a good lookin mod.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:28 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kwagnerhvac
Thats a good lookin mod.
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...2005-2012.html

Old 01-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Andydp
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone remembers the "old" car phone antennas they were glued to the outside of a window and the corresponding part was glued on the inside without drilling any holes. The antenna wire was then led to the radio unit itself. Its been my experience you can hide lots of wires inside any car.

Not sure of current availability, but just a few years ago you could buy a CB antenna that looked like an old car phone antenna. It was attached as described above. Coupled with a GE compact hand held CB this would be the ideal solution. No drilling holes and quick removal.

Here's the antenna cost listed at $23.95:

http://www.cbradiosplus.com/shop/pc/...t=1373#details

Here's a one unit CB Cost $ 95.95:

http://www.cbradiosplus.com/shop/pc/...idproduct=2185
Old 01-30-2012, 06:35 PM
category4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwagnerhvac
Thats a good lookin mod.
You never notice it at the speeds I'm running!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:29 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Andydp
If anyone remembers the "old" car phone antennas they were glued to the outside of a window and the corresponding part was glued on the inside without drilling any holes. The antenna wire was then led to the radio unit itself. Its been my experience you can hide lots of wires inside any car.

Not sure of current availability, but just a few years ago you could buy a CB antenna that looked like an old car phone antenna. It was attached as described above. Coupled with a GE compact hand held CB this would be the ideal solution. No drilling holes and quick removal.

Wow! prices on these CB radios have sure come down alot since the early 70's.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:29 AM
druidcat1115
Heel & Toe

Default cb

I also ride Gold wings in a group setting and use the CB all of the time. Never need any distance over a couple of miles most of the time less than a mile and any cb will do that. When I use the a CB in the Vette I use a Midland hand held. It plugs into the cigar lighter outlet and operates just find with the little rubber whip antenna. With the corvette club some use CB but most now use FRS and 2 miles out of them and you are doing great. If you need any more than that, chances are you are going to call or text anyway.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:12 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Seems to be the majority here with CB mobile units choose the microphone units small models vs. conventional radio. Probably takes up too much space.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:35 AM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm a ham and i still yack on the CB, in fact if anyone has an old cb stuff, Tram radios or browning golden eagles PM me and i'll take it off your hands.
chevyorange (05-07-2020)
Old 01-31-2012, 02:52 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Andydp

In an earlier post I made here, this is the kind of antenna I tried several years ago. And it was terrible, no range at all.
chevyorange (05-07-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To CB radio for Vettes?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:23 AM
doubledime
Pro

This thread is a good example of why the CF is so good. A little humor along with plenty of good information. Thanks!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:24 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by bolivar
The real problem of a CB is you need an external antenna. To get any kind of distance
SUPER SUPER easy in a C6 with the right mount.

Here's mine (with a quick disconnect to allow removal of the antenna when not needed)

(the small antenna is my Ham VHF/UHF one but that is another story!). The mount is a no-holes (mounts behind the license plate), stainless steel one made by a local Vette guy - even has "C6" cut out on a flange (kinda hard to see in this particular photo)

One small hole (3/8") needed to be drilled from the inside of the trunk area and the cable is routed along the sides to the center console area. I have one of these:

I installed some velcro on the top and on my CB. Just pop it on the velcro (speaker side up), plug into the center console cig (power) connector, screw the antenna connector on and voila!.

When not needed, remove it and the antenna and all is good. Plus the added console is a great place to store my camera when I need it handy.
chevyorange (05-07-2020)
Old 01-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

KHJ2501....I still have a stack of my old QSL cards here......
chevyorange (05-07-2020)

Quick Reply: CB radio for Vettes?