C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diminished Value after an Accident?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:52 PM
jamesw95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Diminished Value after an Accident?

My 09 Coupe with 15,000 miles was backed into in a parking lot at my golf course. I parked it as far away from harm as I could but some guy managed to crunch the passenger side door and break the mirror off. He did leave a note and his insurance paid for the repair and a rental. The repair was just shy of $1800.00, my question is can I expect any consideration from his insurance on a diminished value claim. I had a clean car and now it has an accident history. Anybody have a similar experience?

PS the mirror was $481.85 holy cow!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The search function is your friend.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...e-to-help.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...hed-value.html

Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

DV is very real and iffy trying to collect on it. Im sure some members with experience will chime in.

You should feel lucky that someone copped to it and left a note.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:40 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

You're not likely to get it. I didn't get it for this and it was almost 11k to repair. Car was unattended and parked in a drug store parking lot away form everything lol...and run over in a parking lot.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 PM
jamesw95
Pro

Thanks guys for the info. And hell yeah I was sick when I saw the damage but happy when I saw the note. I am going to ask his insurance for compensation, nothing to lose if they say no.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:22 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesw95
Thanks guys for the info. And hell yeah I was sick when I saw the damage but happy when I saw the note. I am going to ask his insurance for compensation, nothing to lose if they say no.
Damage to my 05 a year ago $5800. Had the car fixed without paying my deductible. Two weeks later, after some pressure, settled for a DM check for $5000!!! Keep the pressure on. DM is a well kept secret with most, if not all insurance companies.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:03 AM
utownal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope it works out for you! I know I would ask for compensation!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:11 AM
AV8ForFun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to be a a@@....but....if the door and mirror were replaced, and the paint matches, is the value diminished? I wouldn't think that its real value would go down, only your personal perception of it. If the items were not replaced or the paint didn't match....you need to have a talk with shop and insurance.

Btw glad it worked out thus far for you. I could only hope that if my car were hit, I'd be fortunate enough to be hit by an honest person. In that since you were lucky.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:26 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AV8ForFun
Not trying to be a a@@....but....if the door and mirror were replaced, and the paint matches, is the value diminished? I wouldn't think that its real value would go down, only your personal perception of it. If the items were not replaced or the paint didn't match....you need to have a talk with shop and insurance.

Btw glad it worked out thus far for you. I could only hope that if my car were hit, I'd be fortunate enough to be hit by an honest person. In that since you were lucky.
of course the value goes down, most people now pull a carfax or similiar, even though it's a piece of crap service, none the less people do it. If the car has an accident history, they low ball price to you due to an accident history. Dealers and private buyers all do this.

The best thing to do is go to a dealer and see if you can get a value of your car for trade in with accident history and without accident history and see what the difference is.
You need some sort of valuation to give the insurance co. Otherwise you are just guessing.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:27 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by AV8ForFun
Not trying to be a a@@....but....if the door and mirror were replaced, and the paint matches, is the value diminished?
The value is diminished when he goes to sell it. I come along years later and want to buy his car, but I run a Carfax on it and I see that it has accident history. I walk away. Or... because it's been wrecked (the Carfax won't tell you what was damaged or how much it was) I expect a better deal from the seller, hence the diminished value.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:46 AM
AV8ForFun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yeller z06
The value is diminished when he goes to sell it. I come along years later and want to buy his car, but I run a Carfax on it and I see that it has accident history. I walk away. Or... because it's been wrecked (the Carfax won't tell you what was damaged or how much it was) I expect a better deal from the seller, hence the diminished value.
True. Didn't think of that...mostly because carfax is only good if the rapirs were reported to carfax. My experience with carfax is that very liitle that has ever happened to any of my cars....even dealership work....has been reported on carfax....it seems very unreliable to me. My son's car, for example, has a clean carfax, and has had insurance work done at least 4, maybe 5 times (lost track). That work came from three diff insurance companies.

However, I see how the value is diminished, if the accident gets reported. I hadn't thought of it that way.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:00 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

simple way is just take the repair cost and use it ,works out the same.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:21 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The best you'll do is 20% of $1800 = $360.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
You're not likely to get it. I didn't get it for this and it was almost 11k to repair. Car was unattended and parked in a drug store parking lot away form everything lol...and run over in a parking lot.

Insurance companies only pay for covered losses. To the best of my knowledge, insurance companies do not insure for diminished value and policies often specifically exclude such coverage. Perhaps, an at-fault driver may have personal liability for causing diminished value but I doubt his insurance carrier will pay for it. That said I vaguely recall someone saying they were paid for diminished value but that may be the exception rather than the rule.

I'm impressed...that 'minor' damage (in the photo) was $11 grand to repair!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:58 AM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tried to get it on my truck when a lady took it out in a parking lot. In FL, it's impossible to get.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
To the best of my knowledge, insurance companies do not insure for diminished value...
You can't collect DV damages from your own insurance company. But you can go for it from a third party insurance company...i.e. the insurance company of the party that hits you if it's not your fault.

To the OP...
1) DV is real...even if an insurance company tells you it's not.

2) Research your own state laws regarding DV. Laws can vary wildly.

3) You have to be able to PROVE and DOCUMENT your DV loss through professional appraisals of your vehicle's pre/post repair value.

Bottom Line...
  1. How much is my loss?
  2. Can I prove it?
  3. What are the laws in my state?
  4. Will I roll over the first time an insurance company sends me a denial letter?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:07 PM
jamesw95
Pro

Thanks again for everyones help.

Get notified of new replies

To Diminished Value after an Accident?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Insure
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my question is can I expect any consideration from his insurance on a diminished value claim.
Depending on the state in which you live but probably no... That sucks though. Sorry to hear about it...
Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O

Insurance companies only pay for covered losses. To the best of my knowledge, insurance companies do not insure for diminished value and policies often specifically exclude such coverage. Perhaps, an at-fault driver may have personal liability for causing diminished value but I doubt his insurance carrier will pay for it. That said I vaguely recall someone saying they were paid for diminished value but that may be the exception rather than the rule.

I'm impressed...that 'minor' damage (in the photo) was $11 grand to repair!
I was too...Heck the local GM dealer that ordered all the replacement parts said it was the most parts he had EVER ordered for a single repair job. While I didn't get any DV, I did get every part genuine GM and ordered new. Parts came from 5 states and Canada lol...every nut bracket and bolt was new. Took more than 8 weeks.

PS there is also a minimum cost threshold before it shows up on carfax...(nor sure how much though)

Last edited by hawkgfr; 02-01-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:42 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

carfax has now killed the value of your vette.even if you have a little damage they still list it and everybody will shy away from your car if you go to sell it.that is the downside of carfax.

Quick Reply: Diminished Value after an Accident?