C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Tires for C6

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 06:32 PM
TLTONEY
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Michelin Tires for C6

Has anyone had both the PS2 ZP and the PS2 A/S?

I was looking to find out how much difference there is between the two when it comes to traction (cornering and acceleration).

I am coming from the GY Supercars and will be purchasing Michelin's in stock sizes, but have not been able to find a comparison between the two except for the manufacture's specs.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:50 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

you will find a softer ride on the A/S from what I have heard...
Old 02-05-2012, 06:58 PM
AYello1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still on the OE skins and the only complaint I have is, they're way too noisy. I'm OK with the traction & ride quality...I'm an old guy and don't push things like I used too. I'm planning on switching to the Michelins, in due time, and am curious as to noise level and tread life between the ZP and the A/S. Anybody have any experience in that area?
Thanks!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:06 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by AYello1
I'm still on the OE skins and the only complaint I have is, they're way too noisy. I'm OK with the traction & ride quality...I'm an old guy and don't push things like I used too. I'm planning on switching to the Michelins, in due time, and am curious as to noise level and tread life between the ZP and the A/S. Anybody have any experience in that area?
Thanks!
Same situation here but I am replacing all tires.
Is the Michelin A/S an all season runflat?
I love Michelins as I have their Pilots on my other car that made a big difference in driving in rain.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Pack Leader
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AS is a ZP tire. I installed them last labor day during a Discount Tire sale. In my opinion traction is better overall than the Supercar Tires that were OEM. About 80% quieter than the Good Years and no comparison in the rain. I don't track the car. Got good service with the Good Years, they were replaced at 20k and had more to go. Z51 suspension if that matters. Got an alignment done the day after install and the car drives perfect as it should.... I pulled all the wheels the day before tires were installed, removed all the factory weights and cleaned the inner wheels real good. Took some clean rags & alcohol with me & gave them to the installer to wipe the inner rims before balance weights were installed. I got a $70.00 Michelin rebate and a $30.00 Discount Tire rebate. Gave the installer the $30.00, he did not use an impact gun during removal or install, properly torqued the the lugs and made sure the wheels were clean when he was done. The quietness alone was worth it. Don't know how/why I waited 20k miles.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:30 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Pack Leader
The AS is a ZP tire. I installed them last labor day during a Discount Tire sale. In my opinion traction is better overall than the Supercar Tires that were OEM. About 80% quieter than the Good Years and no comparison in the rain. I don't track the car. Got good service with the Good Years, they were replaced at 20k and had more to go. Z51 suspension if that matters. Got an alignment done the day after install and the car drives perfect as it should.... I pulled all the wheels the day before tires were installed, removed all the factory weights and cleaned the inner wheels real good. Took some clean rags & alcohol with me & gave them to the installer to wipe the inner rims before balance weights were installed. I got a $70.00 Michelin rebate and a $30.00 Discount Tire rebate. Gave the installer the $30.00, he did not use an impact gun during removal or install, properly torqued the the lugs and made sure the wheels were clean when he was done. The quietness alone was worth it. Don't know how/why I waited 20k miles.
I have noticed that these original Goodyears as they wore down it got to be noiser and I'm at 43,000+ with F-55 option.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:28 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I would buy the AS tires in a minute if they made them for the GS!
Old 02-05-2012, 11:20 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Another option is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport which is supposed to be an upgrade to the PS2. It is supposed to have better performance than the PS2 but also around 30k mile warranty.

I replaced the OEMs on my 08 with A/S ZPs and personally I didn't like them to much. I considered selling them and buying PS2 ZPs but I traded in my 08 for my 11 GS Vert. I just didn't like the cornering of the A/S ZPs for the Corvette. I have them (non ZP version) on my Impala SS and love them and it improved that car greatly. The A/S ZP has decent grip for an A/S tire but at the limit the tread flexes too much, which is around .88g. Limit on the OEMs for my 08 was mid .9g +. I say plus because I gave up before the tires did. So I suggest finding someone with A/S ZPs on their car now and going for a ride (not a cruise) and see if you do like them before you drop $1300 or so on them.

I'm glad I don't need tires right now as I feel like the Michelin SS will be the tire for me if priced right.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 PM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

I have a set of AS Plus ZP's I put on back in Oct. They look good on the car and are quiter than the OEM GY tires. Pretty impressive 500 Tread Wear Rating for a wide tire.

Here is a few pic's of them on the car.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced my stock GYs with PS2 ZPs last year. Huge improvement in all aspects.

I drive my car hard, mainly in nice weather, so I have no need for AS tires.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP tires on my C6 during cold months and the GY RF performance Summer tires during the warm months.

Goodyear tires have a shorter tread life. They offer higher performance levels than the Michelin A/S tires during warm weather. Neither my son or I notice any ride or noise difference between the two, but we will be in the minority to opinions posted on here.

philaeagles correctly stated the A/S offer less grip with the A/S tires, but keep in mind A/S tires are a compromise. They offer less grip than summer only tires in warm weather, but in cold weather offer superior grip and safety when compared to summer tires.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:49 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

I think you have to decide on what you need for your type of driving...if you just drive the car in warm weather and or drive the car hard and want max performance then perhaps the GYs are for you...if you live in a climate that gets cold weather and you have to drive in it..then you cannot beat the Michelins...I think if you did lots of research you will find that Michelin will be the number one tire 90% of the time.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MidYearRoadster
if you just drive the car in warm weather and or drive the car hard and want max performance then perhaps the GYs are for you...
I disagree.

IMO the Michelin PS2 outperform the GYs.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:12 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Askk Jim, "Gearhead Jim". He has.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:09 AM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

The Pilot Sport A/S ZP tires are a top notch all season performance tire, but the Pilot Sport 2 ZPs are a different breed in dry and wet weather on and off the track....of course the newer tire the pilot sport cups are tops but they are barely a street tire. I am on my second set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2 ZP Tires and am very happy but it depends what you want, the A/S tire offer a good compromise...lower price, all season, good performance, tire wear....if you want more performance look at the PS2 or Cup Tire.
The following users liked this post:
Hans D (03-26-2016)
Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 AM
ATC
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

I replaced my 16k Goodyears that were hugely noisy with Michelin AS ZP. I am VERY happy with them so for, for the quietness alone. I have yet to try them in hot weather, but I think they will good enough for normal street use. Even "spirited" street use.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Love my AS+. They are capable of doing anything I would dare need them to do on a public street and in any weather I'd dare drive a Vette in. ONLY if I was hitting the track, would I look for something with more grip. And even then I'd pick up a cheap 2nd set of wheels and mount the stickier rubber on those.

But for everyday driving.. cant beat the all-weather grip, quiet, comfort and treadwear of the AS+.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Tires for C6

Old 02-06-2012, 02:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Another option is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport which is supposed to be an upgrade to the PS2. It is supposed to have better performance than the PS2 but also around 30k mile warranty.

I replaced the OEMs on my 08 with A/S ZPs and personally I didn't like them to much. I considered selling them and buying PS2 ZPs but I traded in my 08 for my 11 GS Vert. I just didn't like the cornering of the A/S ZPs for the Corvette. I have them (non ZP version) on my Impala SS and love them and it improved that car greatly. The A/S ZP has decent grip for an A/S tire but at the limit the tread flexes too much, which is around .88g. Limit on the OEMs for my 08 was mid .9g +. I say plus because I gave up before the tires did. So I suggest finding someone with A/S ZPs on their car now and going for a ride (not a cruise) and see if you do like them before you drop $1300 or so on them.

I'm glad I don't need tires right now as I feel like the Michelin SS will be the tire for me if priced right.
Are the Michelin Pilot Super Sports available in a run flat?
Old 02-06-2012, 02:19 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Same situation here but I am replacing all tires.
Is the Michelin A/S an all season runflat?
I love Michelins as I have their Pilots on my other car that made a big difference in driving in rain.
I had the Michelin AS ZP (run flat) tires on my C5 convert and they were excellent in both wet and dry and hot and cold. I drove at freeway speeds for over 100 miles in a heavy downpour and they were rock solid with no traction problems. They are also so much quieter than the Good Years that are now on my 2007 Z51 convert. Still only 5,500 miles on the 2007 but when it comes time to replace them I will without a doubt go with the Michelin AS ZP's.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I also went with the Michelin AS ZP's when the Goodyears were done at 19,000 miles. Very quiet and a softer ride. What you give up in summer performance you gain back in winter conditions (Phila area) where the Goodyears really sucked.

Quick Reply: Michelin Tires for C6