C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coating Grand Sport Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, I thought you were installing SS lines.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Nickcd55
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice post
Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speedraider
Sorry, I thought you were installing SS lines.
Thank god no, I am not looking for abuse on this car.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Redshift
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike does great work. I recently sent some StopTech calipers (not Corvette, but hey, I owned two C5s before and have been a member here for a long time so I thought I'd share) that had seen better days, and here's what he did with them for me:

Before: yes, they have seen a lot of track use over the years:

After: from racer to waxer, I guess:

Old 02-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Yeah, those would look awesome on a BMW.

Mike has a good thing going. Have a feeling my car alone generated some more customers through friends. I have no problem recommending him to anyone that needs this service.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Redshift - Sent that pic to a guy I work with since he has a BMW M series. He wanted Mike's info, agreed your calipers look awesome.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Redshift
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red89gt
Redshift - Sent that pic to a guy I work with since he has a BMW M series. He wanted Mike's info, agreed your calipers look awesome.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Just went to hook up brake lines and the front right banjo bolt, first one I tray only goes 1/2 way in. Top half of the threads are smashed on the banjo bolt, I have a lot of words for GM right now.

Trying to locate a bolt on Saturday to see if the threads aren't wasted in the caliper after just had them coated obviously.
edit: chased with a tap and all good.

Last edited by Red89gt; 02-19-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:44 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklync5
Very helpful... thanks for taking the time to post. Im sure it will come in handy for a lot of us..

Thanks for posting, I will be using this info this coming year as I will be upgrading my brakes to Z06 brakes using having them powder coated before the install.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:30 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Question?. GM shop manual recommends disconnecting the handbrake inside the car, than disconnecting the 2 handbrake cables from the bracket under the car in order to provide some slack for the rear handbrake assembly before removing the rear rotors. Did you have to do that on the rears??...it seems like lot of work so I painted mine on the car, naturally only one side (fronts got paint on hats inside the vanes and on the back also). (did not wanted to take a chance that they would not go back on although seemed pretty loose like the front ones)
Old 02-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Nope, no need to disconnect emergency brake cables.
Came apart and went back together no major issues.

Car is done:

Last edited by Red89gt; 02-19-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 PM
snakeman56
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They look awesome!!! Great write up!!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by snakeman56
They look awesome!!! Great write up!!
Did you mess with your pins at all or are you forever going to leave them as is and just change pads by removing the caliper?

I ask because I had all my pins loose prior to shipping to the powder coat and he only snugged them back in. I am debating leaving alone or pulling and anti-seize on them?
Wonder if these pins ever wear down that would necessitate removal and replacement?

Wish GM would have refined this solution since they have been in production for so long already. If memory serves the big boy brakes on zr1 don't have these pins. Cost savings GM could have eliminated on our cars and zo6's?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:41 PM
snakeman56
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red89gt
Did you mess with your pins at all or are you forever going to leave them as is and just change pads by removing the caliper?

I ask because I had all my pins loose prior to shipping to the powder coat and he only snugged them back in. I am debating leaving alone or pulling and anti-seize on them?
Wonder if these pins ever wear down that would necessitate removal and replacement?

Wish GM would have refined this solution since they have been in production for so long already. If memory serves the big boy brakes on zr1 don't have these pins. Cost savings GM could have eliminated on our cars and zo6's?

Since my pins are Powdered Coated I will remove the Caliper when I have to change the pads. I am going to get some new bolts for just in case. I did not have any problems removing the Caliper Bolts or Torquing them.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:03 PM
MrKris
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Great write up. I could have used that info. lol

I had Mike coat my calipers ZR1 blue. They turned out great but I sure had a lot of trouble with leaks after re-install. Before I shipped them to Mike, I stripped everything off of them. I pulled the bleeders, the pins, and the crossover tubes.

Here are some problems I ran into on the re-install:

First, I tried to use speed bleeders and that was a big mistake. They were more tapered than the stock bleeders and would never seat properly. They kept leaking. I kept tightening. I stripped one. I had to take the caliper to a machine shop and they installed a heli-coil and a slightly larger bleeder. Then, following the machinist's advice, I trashed the speed bleeders and re-installed the OEM bleeders. Because the speed bleeders jacked up the bottoms of the holes, I had to tap each OEM bleeder with a hammer, turn, tap, turn until I got them to re-seat properly.

Second, I did not know you had to replace the copper banjo washers if you ever disconnect the brake lines. I kept having seepage at the lines until I got new washers.

Third, make darn sure you examine the calipers after powder coat to be sure there is no powder coat in the area where the banjo bolt washer sits on the caliper. One of mine had a little overrun in that area and that washer would not seat flat. I had to sand the powder coat off that area.

The final result...they look awesome and no more leaks!!!

The following users liked this post:
ScooBeR (06-20-2019)
Old 02-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

I waited a day after bleeding the system before putting the wheels on and the car on the ground and didn't see any leaks. Wife asked last night at dinner if it sealed up so I guess I will jack up and take a look to verify everything is still good. I didn't have paint on the caliper brake line face, stock bleeders being used and I did use new washers so should be fine.

Blue calipers look great with the cyber gray, nice job.

Last edited by Red89gt; 02-27-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Buddy wants to put Brembo's on his G8 so I will consider my car a warm up.

Last edited by Red89gt; 02-27-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Powder Coating Grand Sport Calipers

Old 02-27-2012, 01:29 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyway to paint these yourself while on the car without pulling off the brake lines?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

You could but the results will not be as nice. Place I sent mine to for powder clears them and puts on the factory graphics for oem touch and appearance.
The powder is very durable as well versus paint.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:10 AM
dabsplaza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post and pictures. Question: Do you know where I can buy the OEM graphics for the calipers. I have a place that will remove all the calipers, powder coat them and re-install at a resonable price. Don't think they have the OEM graphics though..... Pls help if you can. Thx.