C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coating Grand Sport Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My guess would be to find a vinyl/wrap graphics shop and take them the caliper before you strip them for powder so they can load their computer with the graphics. You could then have them make a stencil or graphics. They probably could take a picture while still on the car and make up a set before you put the car in the shop for the work.

Or send them to Mike at thepowdercoater.com and get an oem finish and be done. He can do vette calipers in his sleep I am guessing at this point. He has done 95% of the powder coated calipers on this site I think.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:44 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just ordered my 2012 CG GS yesterday and already planning ahead. I got the basic silver calipers but was planning on going with a different color. Mike did my calipers in starlight red on my 07 and they looked fantastic. This time I plan on doing something with my rotors. Can someone provide the zincing info? Where can I have this done? Is it done on an exchange basis.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:52 PM
MrKris
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default RE: Caliper Decals

I searched high and low and never found a source for ordering caliper decals for the C6 Z06/Grand Sport calipers.

However, I did find a contact willing to make them if I sent good photos and dimensions. I never followed up because I opted to have Mike powder coat mine.

The vinyl contact I found was:
Brent Franker
bfranker@tampabay.rr.com
http://www.f-bodyvinyl.com/

He said he could make them if you sent him good photos and dimensions. Remember, there is no difference between left and right calipers but the front and rear graphics are different. So, he will need a set of photos/measurements for front and rear. Good straight on photos and probably templates for size or else very detailed measurements.

If someone ever follows through with this, I am sure Brent would ad the decals to his inventory and that would make a lot of Z06/Grand Sport owners happy
Old 03-06-2012, 12:35 PM
2slow95vert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get them at fourth circle designs for $16. I just ordered them but havent received them yet.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:24 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow95vert
You can get them at fourth circle designs for $16. I just ordered them but havent received them yet.
Nice find! $16 doesn't seem bad, but aren't these painted on? Or is what fourth circle designs sells a templet that you paint on?
Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
2slow95vert
Advanced

The plan is
1. Paint caliper dark gray
2. Put on sticker
3. Paint dark red
4. Remove sticker
5. Clear whole caliper

I figure if this doesn't last I can always powdercoat them later
Old 03-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

That should keep you out of trouble.
Post up your results when done.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Update: Make sure when you do the banjo bolt (caliper line inlets) you do not use the service manual torque value of 30 ft lbs. This is way too much for a steel bolt into an aluminum caliper. I had to redo my powder coat on my front calipers and the threads gave it up using this much torque. Voice inside of me said it was too much but I just followed the service manual and it ended up causing me a lot of frustration and extra money since the calipers had to be replaced.

Run the bolt in by hand with some lubricant, in an effort not to contaiminate the brake fluid I just made sure the bolt was covered in fluid prior to running it in. I ran it in by hand to check the threads while the caliper was still on my workbench. Then ran it down by hand once the caliper was mounted. Once all the way down I gave it a good snug tightening with a small 11mm combination wrench. I checked for leaks while bleeding the system and again after my first short test drive. If you do experience weeping or leaking tighten the bolt another 1/16 turn and recheck. Do not get aggressive with this set up, gently tighten as needed.

Mike Golding aka Mike the Powder Coater is a stand up guy and did everything he could to help me out and more. It is rare these days people still run their business' like that! I will as a result send everyone and anyone I can to him and I have nothing but positive comments.

Last edited by Red89gt; 06-08-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:42 AM
drewauby5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default thanks

Originally Posted by Red89gt
Update: Make sure when you do the banjo bolt (caliper line inlets) you do not use the service manual torque value of 30 ft lbs. This is way too much for a steel bolt into an aluminum caliper. I had to redo my powder coat on my front calipers and the threads gave it up using this much torque. Voice inside of me said it was too much but I just followed the service manual and it ended up causing me a lot of frustration and extra money since the calipers had to be replaced.

Run the bolt in by hand with some lubricant, in an effort not to contaiminate the brake fluid I just made sure the bolt was covered in fluid prior to running it in. I ran it in by hand to check the threads while the caliper was still on my workbench. Then ran it down by hand once the caliper was mounted. Once all the way down I gave it a good snug tightening with a small 11mm combination wrench. I checked for leaks while bleeding the system and again after my first short test drive. If you do experience weeping or leaking tighten the bolt another 1/16 turn and recheck. Do not get aggressive with this set up, gently tighten as needed.

Mike Golding aka Mike the Powder Coater is a stand up guy and did everything he could to help me out and more. It is rare these days people still run their business' like that! I will as a result send everyone and anyone I can to him and I have nothing but positive comments.
Your thread has been really helpful and I am getting ready to send my calipers out to Mike!! Thanks
Old 09-11-2012, 06:56 AM
speedygc5
Burning Brakes

Great thread very informative!!!!😃
Old 12-01-2013, 11:22 PM
MGretz70
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dabsplaza
Great post and pictures. Question: Do you know where I can buy the OEM graphics for the calipers. I have a place that will remove all the calipers, powder coat them and re-install at a resonable price. Don't think they have the OEM graphics though..... Pls help if you can. Thx.
http://fourthcircledesigns.com/produ...products_id=30

I got this on the forum, haven't ordered so not sure of the quality or how long vinyl decal will last on the caliper.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:35 AM
idaband
Racer

Originally Posted by Red89gt

I can tell you the rear strip very easy. I was able to get front to 33lbs. The rear... strip way sooner.
I'm getting my second set of rear soon to fix the problem. Nervous. I'm going till snug then maybe 1/2 turn to snug.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:35 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Wow, this is why I totally enjoy the forum. All you got to do is sit down and start reading, you are bound to learn something.

I have a new2me 2010 GS, and I'm getting ready to install SS brake lines, have them powder coated and just learned how easily the calipers strip. Thanks Everyone. You all just saved me and I'm sure lots of other Vetters headaches, hassles, and money by doing the job right the first time.

Now, I looking forward to Blue ZR1 calipers on my CRM GS.

Thanks Again
Old 03-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Post up your results when you get your new calipers installed

Last edited by Red89gt; 03-17-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:28 AM
DirtNap1
Intermediate

The red calipers looks great on the photos in this thread, but I haven't seen any photos of a '11 GS in orange smoke metallic.

I don't care for the silver OEM calipers, but what color would work with the orange car other than orange? BTW, I have the grey painted wheels, don't really care for chrome.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:44 AM
idaband
Racer

Go crazy..lime green

Or orange with black letters... or white with orange letters
Old 03-20-2014, 06:33 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by idaband
Go crazy..lime green

Or orange with black letters... or white with orange letters

You might consider a few colors, then buy some small cans of spray paint, paint the caliper with a quick spray. Then once you decided your ready to remove and send to be powder coated.

I had a Pologreen c4, powder coated the calipers Inferno Orange with lime green accents.

Get notified of new replies

To Powder Coating Grand Sport Calipers

Old 03-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Gloss Black with orange lettering on an orange car?
Old 03-20-2014, 01:29 PM
Vette4Vet
Instructor

My calipers are in Mike's shop right now being done in Torch Red with Gloss Black, I can't wait to get them back! Disassembly was much easier than I expected - less than two hours after pulling into the garage I was boxing everything up for shipping. To reduce leakage I zip-tied all brake lines as high as I could, haven't had anything drip out and it's been five days. I'm also switching to SS lines and Hawk one-piece ceramics, the dust is insane with stock pads!!!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:17 PM
idaband
Racer

Remember as soon as brake line stops dripping... stop tightening !!!!