C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-runflats, what fix a flat do u keep in ur trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Tikiman12
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Non-runflats, what fix a flat do u keep in ur trunk?

As the title says, I'm shifting over to the non-runflats and I wanna know what you keep in your trunk as a fix-a-flat.

Thank you
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Tikiman12
As the title says, I'm shifting over to the non-runflats and I wanna know what you keep in your trunk as a fix-a-flat.

Thank you
I have already used Dyna Plug and am still using original RF that it's in.
I can say that Dyna Plug has worked fine for me ever since.
I carry the following but haven't used them yet:
Spare Slime kit with air compressor and tire sealant that is suppose to be harmless to TPS.
Powermaster which is also an air compressor with a battery jump starter that I got from Costco for $69.95.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Sativa
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just made the switch last week.
I got this: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ks&from=Search
Old 02-06-2012, 10:26 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

$12 plug kit and $30 12v compressor from NAPA
Old 02-06-2012, 10:41 PM
DP Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12v compressor
scissor jack
needle nose vise grip
plug kit
flashlight

Old 02-06-2012, 11:42 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

Maybe it's just me.....but there's no way I'm going to try to repair a flat myself, especially if it's dark and/or raining.

I plan to make the switch to non-run-flats this spring. But I'll be buying "Slime", or something similar.

I'm also interested in other people's experiences with the "Slime"-type products.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:48 AM
BallaDW
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never put the slime in your flat tire, it makes a mess inside and it does not work 100 percent
Old 02-07-2012, 01:03 AM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing in the trunk, AAA card in my wallet though.

This looks interesting:
Have you used it yet by chance? Would like to know whether or not it works and how easy it is to use.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:31 AM
SloChicken
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I prefer the easy approach.

AAA Plus coverage.

It works fine. I mean really, what do you think you are going to do except run to the nearest tire dealer and buy a new tire anyway?
Most any flat will be where you use your car most. And that would be around your house. If you don't live in the middle of nowhere it really isn't a problem to get a new tire. So, it takes 1 telephone call. A 15-30 minute wait, and a tow to the nearest tire shop of your choice.
buy tire (bad luck, but the name of the game),
drive home.
pretty easy to me.

but for fun, lets assume the worst ...
If you get a flat over the long road, with a AAA card you can get a tow to the nearest town with a tire shop and get it fixed or grab a room and for free (other than the $130 smackers or so it costs for the policy on the year) It has proven over the years to be a pretty good deal, at least for me.

That said, I had a M3 for 5 years prior to getting my vette - which I have owned for 3 additional years - and quite happily I may add.
I had no spare, and never ran run-flats.
When I bought my vette, it had the Goodyear EMTs. I only got a flat on the EMTs, never on the non run-flats.
Strange, but true ...
I have Hankooks now.
I couldn't be happier for a street tire.
So far they have lasted quite well 10k+ and not much wear really.
I haven't and don't expect to carry any measure of a way to plug a tire unless I road trip.
My big prep really consists of blankets, food, and water. And cash ...
But, just in case I am in the middle of boondocks nowhere, I actually make the effort.
then, for tire/flat protection, I steal my plug kit and CO2s off my Harley.
However,the only flat I have had in the 8 years of my vette and M3 was on my Goodyear runflats. I drove about 4 miles on the runflat to my nearest discount tire dealer. Upon inspection, the tire nearly lost, but was able to be patched.
Once those POS tires were off my car it became a whole different machine. For the better, obviously.
So, like I said, seriously consider the AAA coverage. It has done me right over the years

I guess carrying a plug kit and some CO2 cartridges is a pretty sensible idea. Anything bigger than that and it becomes a pretty unusable tire. I am not so sure how long I want to run around on a plugged tire at speeds a Vette can do anyway. Not that I would. Or something like that ...

Other than that, Like I said,
AAA card.
Easy, free, and well - did I say easy ???
Disclaimer: some live in places like MT, WY, SD and the like and may not get great AAA coverage - all y'all needs ta' be'able ta' patch that tha'r tire! LOL

Oh yeah, don't drive on the shoulders either! There is glass and other stuff your tire don't like so much.
LOL
And don't put that goopy slime ***** in your tire either!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:46 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Here we go again - I did this Tech Post many, many moons ago when I ditched the Run Flats on my C5. I had 2 flats in the field on that car. This may seem like a lot of "stuff" but anything less and you could be stranded...
Also keep in mind AAA will have to tow you. They DO NOT fix flats, only change the spare. Check your literature
If you get a screw on the inside of a rear tire, good luck crawling underneath there to fix it... Trust me I know That is why I added the jack, breaker bar and lug nut wrench.
My last call to AAA was a 3 hour wait for a flatbed. Since it was what I needed/requested, they told me I was in line, but those vehicles were completely booked up at the moment with several cars waiting. Screw that, I fixed it myself.
Here is what I carried:
I have repaired a tire in the field and found the following the bare minimum to make it a successful patch and get me on my way.
Think of the worst situation possible to have a flat and be prepared for it, anything less will be that much easier.
Here is my recommended list of tools needed for non Run Flat tires repair work

A Good patch kit, not a cheap
$3.95 kit � Safety Seal and Snap On make good ones.
It should contain strong tools to clean up the hole, and to push the patch string through.
These are tough tires, and it takes some force to push the patch in deep enough. Cheap tools will bend or break, really leaving you in a mess. I prefer the T handle style. I had a cheap screwdriver handle style and the shaft came through the top of the handle.
A Mini Compressor, with a light attached � You can never have enough light at night.
A Mini-Leatherman for trimming the patch material
Needle Nose pliers and round nose for an extra measure
Screwdriver
A 1/2" breaker bar
A 1/2 lug nut socket(19 mm?), make sure your lock socket is also
there
A flashlight, or headlamp. I prefer the headlamp because it
allows you to have light and your hands.
A blanket to toss on the ground
A towel for cleanup
Latex gloves - this is pretty dirty work
A couple of Handi-Wipes
A Bottle of water
A jack, I picked one up from the local junk yard for $8. It is a scissors jack that is self contained, meaning it has the screw handle already attached. There is also a light weight aluminum jack available for about $50 from Mercedes.
Auto Towing Service of your choice - I use AAA
A cell phone with that service's number programmed in.

Ya I hear people say they have never had a flat, blah, blah, but I take my cars into the mountains and the desert, hell in most of those areas you are lucky to get a single bar on a phone. My second flat happened on a Sunday night, no way was I going to get the car towed, dropped off at the local yokel tire store parking lot to sit overnight.

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 02-07-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:08 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
Here we go again - I did this Tech Post many, many moons ago when I ditched the Run Flats on my C5. I had 2 flats in the field on that car. This may seem like a lot of "stuff" but anything less and you could be stranded...
Also keep in mind AAA will have to tow you. They DO NOT fix flats, only change the spare. Check your literature
If you get a screw on the inside of a rear tire, good luck crawling underneath there to fix it... Trust me I know That is why I added the jack, breaker bar and lug nut wrench.
My last call to AAA was a 3 hour wait for a flatbed. Since it was what I needed/requested, they told me I was in line, but those vehicles were completely booked up at the moment with several cars waiting. Screw that, I fixed it myself.
Here is what I carried:
I have repaired a tire in the field and found the following the bare minimum to make it a successful patch and get me on my way.
Think of the worst situation possible to have a flat and be prepared for it, anything less will be that much easier.

It should contain strong tools to clean up the hole, and to push the patch string through.
These are tough tires, and it takes some force to push the patch in deep enough. Cheap tools will bend or break, really leaving you in a mess. I prefer the T handle style. I had a cheap screwdriver handle style and the shaft came through the top of the handle.
A Mini Compressor, with a light attached � You can never have enough light at night.
Screwdriver
A 1/2" breaker bar
there
A towel for cleanup
A couple of Handi-Wipes
A Bottle of water
A jack, I picked one up from the local junk yard for $8. It is a scissors jack that is self contained, meaning it has the screw handle already attached. There is also a light weight aluminum jack available for about $50 from Mercedes.

Ya I hear people say they have never had a flat, blah, blah, but I take my cars into the mountains and the desert, hell in most of those areas you are lucky to get a single bar on a phone. My second flat happened on a Sunday night, no way was I going to get the car towed, dropped off at the local yokel tire store parking lot to sit overnight.
Well prepared
But I think I am going to need a bigger car.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:08 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

VISA, cash, and a cell phone plus a small 12v compressor for slow leaks.

I have towing on my insurance for $6.40 a year that covers about 80-90%.

I make it a habit to scroll through the DIC info pretty often. I'd notice a leak before it got to the 24# low tire warning. If it leaks faster than that, a plug is probably not going to help anyway.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:16 AM
kingdady
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

CAA card
Old 02-07-2012, 05:55 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

I 've had two flat rear tires in the first five months and 2000 miles on my 2012. It does happen, even in the genteel suburbs. A spike in one and a screw through the other. The GY warranty replaced the tire in one case and paid for the repair in the other. Oddly, I drove the car to two different Chevrolet dealerships, neither of which was aware that there is a road hazard warranty on the Vettes they sell. I now carry a Kobalt inflator in one of the cubbies.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 AM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by BallaDW
Never put the slime in your flat tire, it makes a mess inside and it does not work 100 percent
Many newer cars do not come with spare tires.....including many Fords.
Ford provides a "tire mobility kit", which is basically an air compressor & "slime".
A spare tire is optional.
The new "slime"-type products must be a lot better than they used to be.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Sativa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QWKSRT
Nothing in the trunk, AAA card in my wallet though.

This looks interesting:

Have you used it yet by chance? Would like to know whether or not it works and how easy it is to use.
I haven't used it yet to repair a flat, but I used the compressor to put air in the tires and it works well. It's actually a Viair 85P.

Get notified of new replies

To Non-runflats, what fix a flat do u keep in ur trunk?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Sativa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
Here is what I carried:

Screwdriver
A 1/2" breaker bar
there
A towel for cleanup
A couple of Handi-Wipes
A Bottle of water

Great idea on the lug wrench and scissor jack.
I'm going to get them too.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Sativa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
This product's sealant may interfere with the tire pressure monitoring sensors on vehicles with direct TPMS, possibly leading to error prompts and incorrect pressure readings. Use of this product on direct TPMS vehicles could also result in damage to the tire pressure sensor inside the wheel.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:11 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sativa
Great idea on the lug wrench and scissor jack.
I'm going to get them too.
Where is a good place to get a new scissor jack?
cost?

Quick Reply: Non-runflats, what fix a flat do u keep in ur trunk?