C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 failure at 68 mph

Old 02-08-2012, 03:06 PM
obone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2008 failure at 68 mph

This past Friday I was on the interstate driving home when at 68 mph the car felt like it shifted into neutral. The engine would rev but no power to the wheels. It flashed a quick "service Traction control", the check engine light came on and then the dash when dark (6PM) and then came back on. Then engine never turned off. I quickly got off to the side of the interstate. It would not go into gear (A6 trans). I turned it off and with some difficulty was able to get it to restart. There were no warning lights at this time and it went into gear. I drove it another 10 miles heading home and it did the same thing again but this time upon restarting it would only go into 2nd gear. I nursed it to the local Chevy dealer where I bought it and it sat all weekend. After 2 days in the shop they find only "loss of communication" codes. They have been able to duplicate the problem but not able to find the source.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:16 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

My car acted somewhat like that....eng would rev but ran rough...seemed to be in N. Turned out to be water in the MAF connector from when I washed the eng bay 2 weeks earlier.

Computer could not set the A/F ratio so it acted wierd. When I stepped on the gas the eng would rev but would not drive the transmission.

Good luck.

ps I now only use detail spray to clean eng bay.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:50 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

seems to me if they CAN duplicate it, but don't know what to do, they should call detroit tech and ask what to do. not being funny, it does exist. ask them to ask for help.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by AORoads
seems to me if they CAN duplicate it, but don't know what to do, they should call detroit tech and ask what to do. not being funny, it does exist. ask them to ask for help.
detroit?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Raazor
detroit?
deetroit, you know................best super bowl commercial ever!!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:02 PM
obone
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
Funny but I know what you meant to say. The Corvette Tech has been contacted and there was some bulletin about the wiring harness being pinched but they cannot find anything like that. According to the local service rep they have pulled and cleaned all of the connections. They found one under the battery that had some "minor" corrosion "like battery acid had dropped on it" but the battery and the tray had no evidence of any failure. They did do a battery check and it was good.

By the way, I have not cleaned the engine bay ever other than to just wipe it down. The car is stored inside and well taken care of even though it is a daily driver-most days less than 10 miles.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Jesselsixer
Instructor

Good luck! Let us know what caused the problems when they find out.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
My car acted somewhat like that....eng would rev but ran rough...seemed to be in N. Turned out to be water in the MAF connector from when I washed the eng bay 2 weeks earlier.

Computer could not set the A/F ratio so it acted wierd. When I stepped on the gas the eng would rev but would not drive the transmission.

Good luck.

ps I now only use detail spray to clean eng bay.
I was told by a Corvette Repair shop that they make alot of repairs on Corvettes when the engine is washed with water. They advised me not to use water as the water will cause damage.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:36 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Seems like a very dangerous thing to be happening on the middle of the highway... Good thing you got off the road in one piece... Also nice that you have an 08 with that warranty... Good luck with your issue... Sounds like you had trans failure if you ask me reving with no power has transmition written all over it...
Old 02-08-2012, 04:37 PM
obone
Racer

Originally Posted by Jesselsixer
Good luck! Let us know what caused the problems when they find out.
Will do. I have left messages today but no reply yet.

I was hoping that Jason or whoever is the service rep now monitoring the forum might chime in with some other ideas.

This was a very scarey situation on I-285 in Friday rush-hour traffic. The engine was running and no power to the wheels trying to get over 5 lanes to the side of the road. I had more than just my life pass before my eyes!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:53 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Old 02-08-2012, 04:53 PM
obone
Racer

They just called me and said that they have "repositioned" some of the wiring harness and cleaned the connections. After driving it for 100 miles it has not had any other events and is ready to be picked up.

I sort of wish they had found something that needed to be replaced rather than just "repositioned". At first I thought it was some sort of transmission problem.

I did confirm with the service manager that the Tech that they contacted was in Detroit. I always assumed that they would have been in Bowling Green.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:33 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by obone
They just called me and said that they have "repositioned" some of the wiring harness and cleaned the connections. After driving it for 100 miles it has not had any other events and is ready to be picked up.

I sort of wish they had found something that needed to be replaced rather than just "repositioned". At first I thought it was some sort of transmission problem.

I did confirm with the service manager that the Tech that they contacted was in Detroit. I always assumed that they would have been in Bowling Green.
Unless this starts becoming a persistent problem I wouldn't stress over it. The electronics on our cars are somewhat temperamental in that if the PCM detects even the smallest hiccup while communicating with the various other systems it'll err on the side of caution by assuming the worse and putting the car (or in your case the transmission) into limp mode.

In your case I had the exact same problem a few years back after hitting a pretty bad pothole but after clearing the codes in the TCM it never happened again and that includes all the time I spend beating on the car at the drag strip.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:47 PM
fleetc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work on $1M+ surveillance systems owned by the Air Force. Reseating connectors, restarting communications bus, or just basically restarting the system is a known fix for a majority of the comm failures. I'm not saying it's excusable or even acceptable. Moisture, dust, carbon build up, extreme heat, cold, etc. will cause issues. There is nothing worse than trying to fix a 'glitch' when you can't repeat it.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:51 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Yes, to the best of my knowledge there are no longer any engineers permanently stationed in Bowling G. They're all in Detroit.

Let's hope this is the end of your troubles. I'm surprised it didn't throw some codes that would lead the techs to what might be wrong.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:18 PM
shawn672
Burning Brakes

I've had this happen to me on my Cobalt SS. I found one of the transmission wires, the coating was slightly deteriorated. Put a few wraps of electrical tape around the exposed wire and surrounding, issue went away immediately.

I would check your transmission wires for any exposed wiring
Old 02-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Goatdad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 failure at 68 mph

Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

A similiar thing happened to me and it turned out to be a faulty gas pedal sensor that communicates with the engine. Replacement of the gas pedal under warranty fixed the issue. You may want them to check this on your car.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:36 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Also, I have read where the passenger foot panel rests on top of a connector, so you may want to check under there. You never know.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:37 PM
rc135_tx
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by obone
Funny but I know what you meant to say. The Corvette Tech has been contacted and there was some bulletin about the wiring harness being pinched but they cannot find anything like that. According to the local service rep they have pulled and cleaned all of the connections. They found one under the battery that had some "minor" corrosion "like battery acid had dropped on it" but the battery and the tray had no evidence of any failure. They did do a battery check and it was good.

By the way, I have not cleaned the engine bay ever other than to just wipe it down. The car is stored inside and well taken care of even though it is a daily driver-most days less than 10 miles.
10 miles a day is not enough driving to replenish the battery. You might consider connecting a battery tender when the car is in the garage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 failure at 68 mph