C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ron Fellows Performance Driving School @ Spring Mountain: Level 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:58 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Ron Fellows Performance Driving School @ Spring Mountain: Level 2

My experience at the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving was truly life changing… and I can’t stop looking for ways I can get back on the track!

My goal has always been to get my Pontiac G8 out on track, but I spend so much time on the road that just seems impossible. To do things right I’d have to swap brake pads, order my track wheels/tires, install a race seat/harness, etc… then there’s the maintenance (flush brake fluid, oil change, tech inspection). After the track day I’d have more maintenance, etc… it just takes more time than I have.

In addition to the learning, one of the great things about a driving school is that you don’t have to worry about getting the car ready… you just show-up and drive!

Bondurant was an incredible school and I learned a ton about vehicle control, extending your vision, and being smooth. I’m sure I would learn a bunch more if I returned, but I think trying another school (more specifically at a different track) would be more beneficial.

I looked into the California schools (Skip Barber at Laguna Seca and Jim Russell at Infineon Raceway), but they seem to be mostly focused on Formula cars… not something I’m interested in.

One of the schools that I hadn’t looked into originally was the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School at the Spring Mountain Motorsports Resort outside of Las Vegas.

Ron Fellows was a very successful factory Corvette driver (I’ve photographed him many times over the years). GM even produced a special edition Corvette to commemorate his career. Naturally, the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School uses Corvettes.

One of the great things about the Ron Fellows school is that they have multiple levels of courses. This allows me to pick-up from where I left-off after Bondurant.

My schedule is quite crazy due to work, but luck has it there is a Level 2 course (concurrent with a Level 3 course) coming-up in a few weeks. I decided that I need to make a trip towards the West Coast… and what better way than to stop at a driving school along the way!

The Level 2 Course is a 2-Day program includes ~250 miles of driving on their 2.2 mile and 2.4 mile courses. The majority of the time is spent on track working on car control (throttle steer, brake induced over steer and under steer, etc.). The Corvettes are also equipped with a 2-way communication system for increased on track instruction.

I can hardly wait!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:00 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Day 1:
Today I started my 2-Day Level 2 Course at the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School at the Spring Mountain Motorsports Resort.

While there are a couple courses going-on at the same time, I really lucked-out… there are only two people (including myself) in the Level 2 course. This has resulted in quite a bit of one-on-one instruction. So far all of the instructors have been very good at working with me on my goals. Much like the previous course, I’ve been surprised just how much I’ve learned in only one day.

Because Spring Mountain Motorsports Resort is located ~45 minutes from Las Vegas, I decided to stay in one of the on-site Condos.

Being able to get a good night sleep and not have to deal with the drive in the morning was been great. Being able to look out your bedroom window to see Corvettes driving by on the track is definitely unique!

The course started-out in the classroom for introductions and some review of the fundamentals. We then headed out in the Corvettes for a heel-toe downshifting exercise. I’ve not been able to practice with a manual transmission vehicle since I took the last school in December, so I was a little nervous. Fortunately I was doing much better shifting through the gears… and didn’t even burn-up the clutch!

At first I was quite flustered about the heel-toe process, but after some one-on-one instruction I started to understand it. Like last time the whole process was overwhelming, but breaking it down into individual steps… and practicing them one at a time… really make a big difference. Rather than trying to jump-in and do it all at once, I took a few passes where I only practiced blipping the throttle… then added-in the downshift. By the end of the drill I actually did a couple smooth heel-toe downshifts!

During the heel-toe exercise one of the instructors mentioned that the school has a couple Corvettes with automatic transmissions. This was the best news I’ve head in a while! While I will eventually want to practice driving a manual transmission, not having my mind occupied with the mechanics of shifting allows me to focus on learning vehicle control.

After another short classroom lesson we headed-out onto the track for an initial lead-follow session. At Spring Mountain the cars are equipped with two-way radios, so there is instant feedback on track… almost like the instructor was sitting in your passenger’s seat. Because there were only two of us in the course, and two instructors, the first couple sessions were very educational.

For the Level 2 course we were on the 2.4 mile (Bus Stop & Loop) configuration. The course is quite a bit larger than the one I drove previously, and while you can just leave the car in 4th gear the whole time, there is quite a bit more shifting involved. While I started-out only shifting into 4th on the back straight, it didn’t take long for me to need 4th gear in several sections. Also, having an automatic transmission, I wasn’t afraid to up/down shift to get more performance out of the car (not that a Corvette Grand Sport is a slouch).

We spent the entire day driving on the track, mostly in 10-15 lap sessions. Breaking the day into several shorter segments allowed for plenty of time to debrief and ask questions. So far my focus has been on learning the track… which has been humbling. Even just trying to recall what corner I was in has been a challenge… let alone remembering all the breaking/turn-in/exit points while speeding around the circuit. This is where having a the radio has been really helpful… if I’m doing something wrong in a corner there is nearly instant feedback; that way I’m able to make adjustments for the next lap.

All of the sessions today were lead-follows, and I feel that I’m getting a good hang of things when there is someone showing me where to go. Unfortunately there were a couple times when I wasn’t the first car in line behind the instructor… and I found myself having a difficult time consistently hitting my marks…

My biggest issue so far has been judging when I should start applying the brakes. Unlike the previous track I was on, there are no break markers/cones at Spring Mountain… and I have a tendency to miss-judge my closing speeds. When this happens I enter the corner too quickly, sending me wide at the apex… killing my corner exit. While I’m getting better, there are still times when I’ll completely blow a corner.

Overall I’ve been very happy with my progress so far. While it would be nice to be gaining more experience in a manual transmission vehicle, I think I’m getting much more out of the course because of the automatic. I’m starting to get a better feel for the racing line, and will continue to work on consistently hitting my marks… I can hardly wait for tomorrow!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:01 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Day 2:
After a good night’s sleep I found myself refreshed and ready for another day on track. Last night I spent quite some time going-over the track in my head, with the hopes that I’d be more familiar with the mechanics of each turn on the course.

Like yesterday we started with a heel-toe downshifting exercise to warm-up. While I’ve been spending my time on track in an automatic transmission vehicle, I wasn’t going to pass-up the opportunity to get some more practice with a manual transmission. At first I had some difficulty with the mechanics, but it didn’t take too long to start to get a feel for it. I found that taking a moment to properly position my foot on the brake peddle (without applying the brakes) made it much easier to blip the throttle when it came time to heel-toe. While I was able to get several smooth downshifts, I still think that driving an automatic on track will be more beneficial at this stage.

The first track session of the day was a lead-follow exercise, and I felt I did a fairly good job. When I wasn’t directly behind the instructor I was doing a better job hitting my marks… but when the little voice inside my head said, “catch-up to them”, I found myself making mistakes. Fortunately I was able to collect myself and run at my own pace, focusing on the driving line.

The second session started as a lead-follow, but after a lap or two a student pulled into the lead and the instructor followed. With an open track in front of you, it is an entirely different experience… you can’t rely on just watching another car to determine what to do.

I started-out leading surprisingly well, hitting my marks going into the Bus Stop (Turn 8 ) and apexing well through the Loop (Turns 10, 11, and 12). While I was being followed, the instructor also noticed that I was apexing really (really, really, really) early at Turn 2… and that it was keeping me from getting a good exit/drive onto the straight leading towards Turn 3. I also learned that I was getting too close to the “near apex” cone in the Chicane, resulting in a poor entry into Turn 4. Getting instruction over the radio really helped me figure out the proper line!

After lunch we moved beyond lead-follow and began open lapping, which included the use of a transponder for recording lap times. I started out the first session with an instructor in my passenger’s seat and was really focusing on driving the proper line… hitting my marks in every corner on the first lap. With my confidence building I started to go quicker and quicker…

Unfortunately my confidence got the better of me when I tried to drive into Turn 4 without using the brakes (no brakes = faster right?), only to find my car didn’t want to turn. Running wide I tried to dive towards the apex and added too much steering input… breaking the rear-end loose. Fortunately I still had stability control turned-on and was able to keep the car on track, but it was definitely humbling.

Yesterday I got a feel for the importance of balancing the car while approaching the apex of a corner, and today I was really able to start to apply it on track. Using the throttle/brake the driver can adjust how much weight is on the front wheels; changing how easy the car wants to turn. Without changing the angle of the steering wheel you can make the car take a tighter line (less throttle or more brake) or a wider line (less brake or more throttle) towards the apex.

A great example for this is entering Turn 10… you are fairly wide exiting Turn 9, but want to be all the way to the right for the entry to Turn 11. If I tried to turn the car only using the steering wheel it just wanted to push wide (like what happened at Turn 4). By briefly applying the brakes and shifting weight to the front wheels, the car hooks and turns-in like it’s on rails!

The best thing about having an instructor ride along was the immediate feedback I received going through Turn 2. I was able to feel the proper line through the corner, and boy did it allow me to get on the throttle sooner… so much so that I was completely unprepared for how much more break pressure was required to slow down going into Turn 3. For then on kept working on keeping in the middle of the track well into the turn, such that the path into the apex and through the exit was as straight as possible.

For the remainder of the day I was driving solo. During the second session after lunch I was really in the grove, and once I got up to speed I ran my quickest lap of the day (2:18.466) followed by two more laps less than 0.1 seconds-off! In the final “cool down” session (~70% of max, focusing on running the perfect line) I found myself running consistent lap times (~2:21)… when I wasn’t looking in my mirrors getting worried about holding someone up. I honestly think if I had run hard down the back straight that one (or more) of my laps would have been faster than my PB… it showed me just how important being smooth and on the proper line is to being fast.

While I was 10-15 seconds a lap slower a lap than the other guys on track (the instructors can run sub-2:00 laps staying in 4th gear the whole way), I’m feeling good about how I progressed over the two days (especially considering it’s my first time on this track, and most of the others have been there two or three times).

Unfortunately this time I’m only taking a 2-Day course, but I really feel that I’ve not only learned about a new track… I’ve also started to get a better feel for how vehicle dynamics and weight balance effects a car. Hopefully I’ll get another chance to come to Spring Mountain to refine my skills, but I’m sure that what I’ve learned over the past two days has made me a better driver.

Last edited by TCorzett; 02-13-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:01 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Having taken two high performance driving schools, and seen just how much more there is still to learn, I must reiterate that if you want to be fast/quick... driver education is the best mod money you'll ever spend!

There were several times I felt the car was at it's limit of traction in a long corner (like Turn 2), but the instructors kept telling me to give it more throttle... I had no idea a street car (on street tires) could push that hard. Being able to drive high horsepower vehicles to their limits (and sometimes beyond them) in a controlled environment is extremely educational.

All of the Instructors at the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School and the Staff at Spring Mountain Motorsport Resort were extremely friendly. They were very accommodating of everyone's skill levels and personal goals and really made for an incredible few days. Hopefully I'll be able to get back... I know there is still much I have to learn!

-Todd...

PS - I've been asked a couple times to compare/contrast the various schools I've attended, so will be doing that in the future... I just need to recover from two days on track!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Old 02-11-2012, 02:17 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Thanks for the great write-up! I'm scheduled to go for the 3 day ZR1 school in mid-April and every time I read posts such as yours, it makes me even more excited to be going. Glad you had an excellent experience & thanks again for sharing it.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:37 PM
DC321
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a great time at level one 3 day and look forward to someday taking level 2.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:22 PM
rayk
Drifting

Thanks for the writeup. Now, I'm thinking how do I get this past the wife.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:39 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Originally Posted by rayk
Now, I'm thinking how do I get this past the wife.
Bring her along... Spring Mountain has a great club house, swimming pool/hot tub, fitness room, and a masseuse. I've been to quite a few race tracks, but Spring Mountain goes the extra mile... it really is a motorsport resort. If that's not enough, you could always bribe her with some shows in Vegas!

-Todd...
Old 02-12-2012, 04:25 PM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Todd,
From all of us at the Ron fellows school, a BIG thanks for attending! Your write-up is spot on. Enjoyed talking and
Teaching you through the course, and look forward to your next visit! You did a great job and with a little more practice, your heel/toe will get better
Thanks again!
Vic.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 PM
ThanksMYY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went a few years ago and had a great time. Took the 3 day course and stayed in Vegas, they would pick us up at our hotel every morning and drive us out to their track and then bring us back after the class. I would go again.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:46 PM
gregd
Racer

Originally Posted by TCorzett
Having taken two high performance driving schools, and seen just how much more there is still to learn, I must reiterate that if you want to be fast/quick... driver education is the best mod money you'll ever spend!

There were several times I felt the car was at it's limit of traction in a long corner (like Turn 2), but the instructors kept telling me to give it more throttle... I had no idea a street car (on street tires) could push that hard. Being able to drive high horsepower vehicles to their limits (and sometimes beyond them) in a controlled environment is extremely educational.

All of the Instructors at the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School and the Staff at Spring Mountain Motorsport Resort were extremely friendly. They were very accommodating of everyone's skill levels and personal goals and really made for an incredible few days. Hopefully I'll be able to get back... I know there is still much I have to learn!

-Todd...

PS - I've been asked a couple times to compare/contrast the various schools I've attended, so will be doing that in the future... I just need to recover from two days on track!
Just noticed the C6s in the pictures and realized that your post is dated in 2012!!!! I'm going for level 2 on May 12th, 15 and can't wait. Thanks for the great write-up!

Get notified of new replies

To Ron Fellows Performance Driving School @ Spring Mountain: Level 2

Quick Reply: Ron Fellows Performance Driving School @ Spring Mountain: Level 2