C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dexos vs Mobil 1 in 2012 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:27 PM
realoldguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $14/quart?

Originally Posted by rayk
Appears DEXOS1 that GM markets is synthetic blend. That's why it's cheaper.

http://www.smittysinc.net/SiteFlyers...exos1Flyer.pdf

I did find on the GM dealer network where DEXOS was costing them about 1800 for a 55 gallon drum. They mark it
up to 3100.
Hmmmmmmmm......55 gallons is 220 quarts (I hope). At $3100 for 220 quarts that works out to just about $14/quart. Is that what GM dealers charge for oil? I am glad that I change oil myself and use Mobil 1 from WalMart.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:29 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by realoldguy
Hmmmmmmmm......55 gallons is 220 quarts (I hope). At $3100 for 220 quarts that works out to just about $14/quart. Is that what GM dealers charge for oil? I am glad that I change oil myself and use Mobil 1 from WalMart.
Absolutely, and yes you are.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:30 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by cclive
Dexos is not an oil, it is a set of standards. Many oils meet the Dexos standard. These will have the logo right on the bottle.

If the service tech is confused, one remedy would be to buy the oil at Walmart and bring it with the car for him to use. He can then match up the logo on the oil cap with the logo on the bottle.
And the underlined is the issue to some of us. Dexos is a standard, and some synthetic blends now meet that Dexos standard. And the Dexos site says it is backwards compatible, meaning you can use it since it also replaces GM 4718M.

To answer Mike's "need for .." question tho, no, not all Dexos-standard oils are synthetic blends. As Chris cclive says above, many existing oils, including full synthetics, meet (or exceed) the Dexos standard. Possibly for that little bit of added protection, it may be worth it to use full synthetic vs. a synthetic blend even if both meet the Dexos standard (as mentioned by hairbag in post #2).

Last edited by AORoads; 02-12-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Hairbag
Racer

Originally Posted by Travelor
The question was WHY?

I think someone hit it on the head - Profit. here is an interesting read:
http://www.tireindustry.org/dexos.asp

A quick check on Google found the DEXOS oil retails for $593/55 gallon drum as compared to Mobil 1 at approx $1700/barrel.

And no the Tech was not confused as his dealership has a bulk oil labeled DEXOS on the overhead oil supply and his dealership sells it as "DEXOS" to its customers, not XYZ oil that meets DEXOS standards.

I think we really have beat this one to death now.

George
Without quoting exactly what GM dealers pay for AC Delco Dexos and Mobil 1 your way wrong on these prices--low on Dexos & high on Mobil 1.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 PM
jnx911
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cclive
So I guess GM doesn't make Dexos oil at the AC Delco refinery in Michigan...

Mobil One has the Dexos logo right on the front of the bottle, so no service tech should be confused.
Exactly!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by dkvetteguy
Why ? Its an engine LS3 not more advanced than the LS2 The LS2 was in the tahoe SS also and others [CTSV -old one] Oil that is a month old is no worse than brand new stuff! Thats totally rediculous!
Originally Posted by dkvetteguy
Yah ! Because due to the poor sales of our cars GM knows the oil will be sitting in the vettes for up to 2-3 years before its changed!
It was a joke.

It just goes to show that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure why the spec was changed, but I'll use oil that meets either one. Picked up a five quart jug of Castrol Edge and K&N filter that meet spec from Advance Auto for $30 bucks over the holidays, and what's going in. Also sent me an NFL football and $7 check. No cheapskate here, but nothing wrong with having a little fun doing an oil change.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:36 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Travelor
Why did GM change recommended oil for Corvette's from Mobil 1 to Dexos?
My opinion of why they changed the spec from 4718M to dexos1 is that so they could license the spec and get royalties from every quart sold. Many oil companies have balked at this and the FTC is investigating the practice.

Collation Seeks FTC Review of Dexos

There are aftermarket alternatives to dexos1:
AMSOIL Signature Series 5w30

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Last edited by C66 Racing; 02-13-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:50 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Subdriver
There are aftermarket alternatives to dexos1:
AMSOIL Signature Series 5w30
In the spirit of fairness and objectivity, I would be remiss if I did not point out that the alert reader could purchase an engine oil that was equal, if not superior to AMSOIL, without the AMSOIL Multi-Level Marketing hype.

http://www.redlineoil.com/
Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
So, is Dexos a blend of synthetic / dinosaur oil ?
No, far from it. Here's the straight dope from our local expert!

Originally Posted by LDB
All of the oils that are constantly discussed on the forum are varying blends of group 2, group 3, and group 4 base oils. Groups 2 and 4 are very easy to define. Group 2 is conventional “dino” oil, simply refined from crude oil. Group 4 is made up of various synthetic, manufactured polymers, mostly poly alpha olefins or PAO. Almost all experts would agree that group 2 are lowest quality of the base oil groups. Group 3 are the toughest to define, both in terms of origin and quality. They start out as group 2, but are then subjected to extremely severe processing called hydrocracking, where hydrogen is added over a catalyst at pressures of about 2500 psi and temperatures of about 700F. During that process, most of the lower quality ring compounds, and essentially all of the heteroatoms like sulfur and nitrogen are removed. Most experts agree that group 3 oils are considerably closer to group 4 than to group 2 in quality, but most would also agree that they are not quite as good as group 4. But in terms of cost to manufacture, group 3 is closer to group 2 than to group 4. Knowing that, you can guess where this is headed.

Mobil 1 was originally group 4. Castrol started marketing a group 3 oil as being fully synthetic, on the basis that the severe hydrocracking of group 3 scrambled the hydrocarbons enough to call them synthetic in the sense that the resulting molecules are not naturally occurring. Mobil sued them, but lost. So now, in the USA, both group 3 and 4 oils can be advertised as being fully synthetic. As a result, even if the oil is advertised as fully synthetic, unless they specifically say it is group 4 (Mobil 1 does not), you do not know how much, if any group 4 oil it contains. Since they lost the lawsuit, Mobil refuses to answer the group 3 vs 4 question, so it is pretty clear that rather than label Mobil 1 as group 4 and continue making it as they originally did, they are using at least some group 3 base in Mobil 1. Just like any other oil that is labeled fully synthetic, but not labeled group 4, you cannot rule out the possibility that it is 100% group 3.

Before you start screaming that Mobil 1 is no longer any good, remember that it still meets 4718M spec. That spec doesn’t say anything about group 3, group 4, or synthetic, it simply sets standards for thermal stability and wear in engine testing. Those standards are so stringent that it is essentially impossible for a group 2 oil to meet. But now you ask the question, is a group 4 oil that meets 4718M better than a group 3 oil that meets 4718M? Beats the heck out of me. I’m sure both GM and Mobil have run such tests on original versus current Mobil 1, so they know that answer. But they aren’t talking. My guess would be that original Mobil 1 which was group 4 probably tests a smidgen better than current Mobil 1 which is a group 3-4 blend, but the difference is hardly enough to notice. They are both excellent oils, and had Mobil not gone to some group 3 in Mobil 1, you can be sure its price would have risen.

As far as the consumer, once the courts and lawyers put their ugly stamp on things by making the therm fully synthetic cover both group 3 and 4, it would be nice if the companies had responded by voluntarily labeling by group number like most do in Europe. Unfortunately, that hasn’t happened here yet, so as of now, unless the oil is one of the few that are labeled group 4, you have no way of knowing whether your synthetic is group 3 or 4. But you can hang your hat on the fact that both groups are excellent oils, so I really don’t think it’s worth too much worry.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:37 PM
Way2FastZ06
2nd Gear

Default Mobil1 vs Dexos1

Well being a proud owner of the new 2015 Z06 and actually reading the owners manual, they say if you plan to track the car or race it to upgrade to Mobil1

Originally Posted by Hairbag
Dexos is the 2-year old oil performance spec for GM vehicles. AC Delco Dexos is a syn blend. Both Mobil 1 & AC Delco Dexos are available to GM dealers in qts, 55 gallon drums or bulk as needed by the dealer. AC Delco Dexos spec oil is the minimum performance oil standard for your 2011-2012 GM vehicle including your vette. Mobil 1 5w30 does meet the Dexos performance standards and would be a step up oil performance over the AC delco Dexos product.

AC Delco Dexos---Good

Mobil 1 5W30------Better/Best
Old 01-27-2015, 10:31 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

All LS3 dry sump, LS7 and LS9 corvette engines were factory filled with Mobile 1. Currently, all C7 LT1 dry sump and LT4(Z06) corvette engines are factory filled with Moble 1. C7 Stingray LT1s are factory filled with Dexos standard synthetic blend oil. This information came from GM Factory Rep.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:54 AM
Way2FastZ06
2nd Gear

Default Oh contraire

The LT4 is filled with Dexos and labled so on the new Z06. I know first hand. Wish i knew how to post pics here...

Originally Posted by jovette
All LS3 dry sump, LS7 and LS9 corvette engines were factory filled with Mobile 1. Currently, all C7 LT1 dry sump and LT4(Z06) corvette engines are factory filled with Moble 1. C7 Stingray LT1s are factory filled with Dexos standard synthetic blend oil. This information came from GM Factory Rep.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:25 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by Way2FastZ06
The LT4 is filled with Dexos and labled so on the new Z06. I know first hand. Wish i knew how to post pics here...
Dexos is the SPEC. It is not a BRAND.
The following users liked this post:
Vyper340 (01-04-2017)
Old 01-28-2015, 12:29 PM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

Just to emphasize, or post a bottle of "Dexos" brand.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:35 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Devil
If you do a little more research you will find that Mobil 1 is not true synthetic oil, I believe their only true syn oil is their 0W-40 weight. That being said, if you change your oil when or before indicated it's hard to find better oil for the money. I love the Redline of products but they are pricey.
You're right about Redline.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:47 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
No, far from it. Here's the straight dope from our local expert!

That was a great explanation... thanks...

Get notified of new replies

To Dexos vs Mobil 1 in 2012 GS?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:17 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

This should put this to bed.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-use-only.html
Old 02-01-2015, 04:39 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

I do my own oil changes...so no worries here...

MT
Old 02-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Damn and i have free oil changes for the next 22 months from the dealer and it makes me think if i should just do my own lol

Quick Reply: Dexos vs Mobil 1 in 2012 GS?