C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 all marketing hype!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:48 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Anyone have any M1 used oil analysis's? I have a couple on my LS7 using two different oils.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:53 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Somewhere I heard that Mobil INVENTED synthetic oil. Is that true?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:54 PM
gallenl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! "Somebody" said something, so now it's true. I think not. I'll stick with Mobil 1.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:55 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Your car, do what you want with it.

I am not an engineer, if GM says use Mobil 1, that is what I will use. I figure thay may know more about the subject than I.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:08 PM
RO55
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rakuhn
Your car, do what you want with it.

I am not an engineer, if GM says use Mobil 1, that is what I will use. I figure thay may know more about the subject than I.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:15 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I hate these threads. I'm sorry I got duped into opening the thread.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I work at a used Corvette dealership and we have sold over 1,000 Corvettes since 1992 and have never had one car come back with engine failure runing on Mobil 1.

We did have a 1995 Corvette that the owner got his oil changed at one of those quick lub places and after two years of them putting in non synthetic oil it wiped out the crankshaft.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:11 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dkvetteguy
Ive been using royal purple and see a difference in idle smoothness when i switched in all 3 cars!
I don't want to come out here and call you a liar... But I'll bet you $100 you CANT tell the difference between what oil is in the car based on how rough or smooth the idle is ... That statement ranks in the TOP 2 of "Dumb Azz" statements I have ever seen on this forum !!!

If we live close (I'm in NY) we can take my car or anyones car let it idle, and change the oil... without you knowing which is Mobil 1 and the other a cheep K Mart brand...

Oil WILL NOT change the idle characteristics of an engine unless you are going from a 0-20 to a 70 weight.. and even with that a good running V8 wont change how rough or smooth it idles based only on the BRAND of oil is in it !!!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:16 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

All of the oils that are constantly discussed on the forum are varying blends of group 2, group 3, and group 4 base oils. Groups 2 and 4 are very easy to define. Group 2 is conventional “dino” oil, simply refined from crude oil. Group 4 is made up of various synthetic, manufactured polymers, mostly poly alpha olefins or PAO. Almost all experts would agree that group 2 are lowest quality of the base oil groups. Group 3 are the toughest to define, both in terms of origin and quality. They start out as group 2, but are then subjected to extremely severe processing called hydrocracking, where hydrogen is added over a catalyst at pressures of about 2500 psi and temperatures of about 700F. During that process, most of the lower quality ring compounds, and essentially all of the heteroatoms like sulfur and nitrogen are removed. Most experts agree that group 3 oils are considerably closer to group 4 than to group 2 in quality, but most would also agree that they are not quite as good as group 4. But in terms of cost to manufacture, group 3 is closer to group 2 than to group 4. Knowing that, you can guess where this is headed.

Mobil 1 was originally group 4. Castrol started marketing a group 3 oil as being fully synthetic, on the basis that the severe hydrocracking of group 3 scrambled the hydrocarbons enough to call them synthetic in the sense that the resulting molecules are not naturally occurring. Mobil sued them, but lost. So now, in the USA, both group 3 and 4 oils can be advertised as being fully synthetic. As a result, even if the oil is advertised as fully synthetic, unless they specifically say it is group 4 (Mobil 1 does not), you do not know how much, if any group 4 oil it contains. Since they lost the lawsuit, Mobil refuses to answer the group 3 vs 4 question, so it is pretty clear that rather than label Mobil 1 as group 4 and continue making it as they originally did, they are using at least some group 3 base in Mobil 1. Just like any other oil that is labeled fully synthetic, but not labeled group 4, you cannot rule out the possibility that it is 100% group 3.

Before you start screaming that Mobil 1 is no longer any good, remember that it still meets 4718M spec. That spec doesn’t say anything about group 3, group 4, or synthetic, it simply sets standards for thermal stability and wear in engine testing. Those standards are so stringent that it is essentially impossible for a group 2 oil to meet. But now you ask the question, is a group 4 oil that meets 4718M better than a group 3 oil that meets 4718M? Beats the heck out of me. I’m sure both GM and Mobil have run such tests on original versus current Mobil 1, so they know that answer. But they aren’t talking. My guess would be that original Mobil 1 which was group 4 probably tests a smidgen better than current Mobil 1 which is a group 3-4 blend, but the difference is hardly enough to notice. They are both excellent oils, and had Mobil not gone to some group 3 in Mobil 1, you can be sure its price would have risen.

As far as the consumer, once the courts and lawyers put their ugly stamp on things by making the therm fully synthetic cover both group 3 and 4, it would be nice if the companies had responded by voluntarily labeling by group number like most do in Europe. Unfortunately, that hasn’t happened here yet, so as of now, unless the oil is one of the few that are labeled group 4, you have no way of knowing whether your synthetic is group 3 or 4. But you can hang your hat on the fact that both groups are excellent oils, so I really don’t think it’s worth too much worry.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Mobil-1 5W-30 (and maybe some of the other weights) in "regular" and Extended Performance blends, also meets the newer Dexos standard; and Mobil told me the oil did not have to be re-formulated to do that, they simply changed the labeling after the Dexos standard was established.

Based on recent reports from users, it seems like Corvette engines using Mobil-1 are becoming worn out after only 200,00-300,000 miles, so I'm getting worried.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:35 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

And if memory serves me correctly starting in 2012 the Corvette no longer specifies using Mobil1. I think its Dexos now...
Old 02-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Radioman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Talk about drinking the Coolaide.

Look, you put whatever you want in your cars. I'll put what I want in mine. I've seen the data on the Mobil 1 and frankly, I'd put it put against any of the "boutique" oils.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:44 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by PaulB
And if memory serves me correctly starting in 2012 the Corvette no longer specifies using Mobil1. I think its Dexos now...
You are correct. I started a thread a while ago about this. Got rather contentious but you are correct.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:49 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
All of the oils that are constantly discussed on the forum are varying blends of group 2, group 3, and group 4 base oils. Groups 2 and 4 are very easy to define. Group 2 is conventional “dino” oil, simply refined from crude oil. Group 4 is made up of various synthetic, manufactured polymers, mostly poly alpha olefins or PAO. Almost all experts would agree that group 2 are lowest quality of the base oil groups. Group 3 are the toughest to define, both in terms of origin and quality. They start out as group 2, but are then subjected to extremely severe processing called hydrocracking, where hydrogen is added over a catalyst at pressures of about 2500 psi and temperatures of about 700F. During that process, most of the lower quality ring compounds, and essentially all of the heteroatoms like sulfur and nitrogen are removed. Most experts agree that group 3 oils are considerably closer to group 4 than to group 2 in quality, but most would also agree that they are not quite as good as group 4. But in terms of cost to manufacture, group 3 is closer to group 2 than to group 4. Knowing that, you can guess where this is headed.

Mobil 1 was originally group 4. Castrol started marketing a group 3 oil as being fully synthetic, on the basis that the severe hydrocracking of group 3 scrambled the hydrocarbons enough to call them synthetic in the sense that the resulting molecules are not naturally occurring. Mobil sued them, but lost. So now, in the USA, both group 3 and 4 oils can be advertised as being fully synthetic. As a result, even if the oil is advertised as fully synthetic, unless they specifically say it is group 4 (Mobil 1 does not), you do not know how much, if any group 4 oil it contains. Since they lost the lawsuit, Mobil refuses to answer the group 3 vs 4 question, so it is pretty clear that rather than label Mobil 1 as group 4 and continue making it as they originally did, they are using at least some group 3 base in Mobil 1. Just like any other oil that is labeled fully synthetic, but not labeled group 4, you cannot rule out the possibility that it is 100% group 3.

Before you start screaming that Mobil 1 is no longer any good, remember that it still meets 4718M spec. That spec doesn’t say anything about group 3, group 4, or synthetic, it simply sets standards for thermal stability and wear in engine testing. Those standards are so stringent that it is essentially impossible for a group 2 oil to meet. But now you ask the question, is a group 4 oil that meets 4718M better than a group 3 oil that meets 4718M? Beats the heck out of me. I’m sure both GM and Mobil have run such tests on original versus current Mobil 1, so they know that answer. But they aren’t talking. My guess would be that original Mobil 1 which was group 4 probably tests a smidgen better than current Mobil 1 which is a group 3-4 blend, but the difference is hardly enough to notice. They are both excellent oils, and had Mobil not gone to some group 3 in Mobil 1, you can be sure its price would have risen.

As far as the consumer, once the courts and lawyers put their ugly stamp on things by making the therm fully synthetic cover both group 3 and 4, it would be nice if the companies had responded by voluntarily labeling by group number like most do in Europe. Unfortunately, that hasn’t happened here yet, so as of now, unless the oil is one of the few that are labeled group 4, you have no way of knowing whether your synthetic is group 3 or 4. But you can hang your hat on the fact that both groups are excellent oils, so I really don’t think it’s worth too much worry.

Good post. Some of my clients are in the industry and the above is truth.

Oh, and I also think Amsoil tastes like sh*t. j/k
Old 02-12-2012, 04:50 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try PAYING ATTENTION! Dexos is NOT an oil....it's an oil specification GM developed.

http://www.gmdexos.com/
Old 02-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarV
Is there better oil? Does it matter? It lubricates a GM engine just fine.
Exactly. This guy "gets it". Mobil 1...scratch that. ANY brand name oil that is API certified correctly is MORE than sufficent for any engine, in any of our cars.

I've run Mobil 1 in my '96 (5.7 gas Vortec) for the last 16 years and 228,000 miles and beat the wee out of it, towing boats (700 miles in a weekend through the Rocky Mountians), hauling retarded loads, desert heat, mountian winter COLD... Starts the instant the starter hits the flywheel, and gets over 20 mpg on the highway. The body is rusting out, and the engine is still in perfect shape. How long does the engine need to last?? How has Mobil 1 failed me?

ALL API certified oils are MORE than good enough. I think we have a pot-stirring troll on our hands.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:44 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

My engine has 100,000 miles on it and I removed the heads cause the valve seals split. The internals of the block are still new, being that the cylinder walls still have the original crosshatching in the bore and there IS NO lip at the top of the piston stroke to indicate wear. Pistons are still very tight as well as the compression readings.

Mobil One must have done something right to keep my LS1 14 year old engine in it's prime! It's pushing 500hp and runs like a new baby!

Mobil One...all the way....even today!

Get notified of new replies

To Mobil 1 all marketing hype!

Old 02-12-2012, 05:51 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

No matter...I'm sticking with Mobil 1.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:56 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Smoother idle???....You'd be a great subject for a placebo test...
Old 02-12-2012, 06:03 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some Soobarooo guy said M1 is no good and to use Royal Purple...I'm going to have to change my oil ASAP... WTF...

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 all marketing hype!