C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When replacing your tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:11 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Yep, you have to buy a road hazard warranty for each tire. Since it is very unlikely you will damage more then one tire in the time that all four tires will last you, you are, in effect, paying four times the amount to have coverage on one tire. Now, if you make it a practice of running from the law and they keep throwing those nasty spike strips out in front of your car, and you destroy all four tires at once, then be sure and purchase the four tire hazard warranties.

From your post it looks like the cost for the four tire warranty is $124.50. Would you buy a life insurance policy for four years(life of your tires) if it cost you $124.50 and only paid off $300 or $400(whatever one tire costs you to replace)?
right on Joe....
Old 02-20-2012, 07:12 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

They aren't replacing the battery. That's the item that fails, and it's cheaper and less likely to end up with wheel damage if the TPS is replaced when you put on a new set of tires.

You have 7 years on the current batteries and tires, so I'm assuming you plan on driving another 7 years on your new tires. That's 14 years on the original batteries in the original TPS's. It's a gamble if they will last that long. With 7 years on them and the tires off the rim, I would go ahead and replace the sensors. I know it's another ~$250, but you are most likely going to have to replace them before you wear our your new tires. A tire shop is also going to charge you $$$$$ to install new sensors, say, 3 years from now, and you will still have to fork up the ~$250 for the new sensors at that time.

You get new o-rings with the new sensors, along with new valve stem cores. If the nuts aren't damaged they do not need replacing(not at $6 each). They aren't doing you any favors in selling you a so called "rebuild" kit. The sensors don't have to be removed to change the tires, so if the o rings aren't leaking now, they don't need to replace them. Same goes with the cores( You can buy new cores and the little wrench at any parts store or Walmart) and it is replaced with the tire on the rim and the rim on the car. Takes about 1 minute to replace the core plus the time to air the tire back up.
So then if they don't replace batteries it's better at this time to forget the rebuild kit it since it won't be a complete replacement of all necessary parts?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:16 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
So then if they don't replace batteries it's better at this time to forget the rebuild kit it since it won't be a complete replacement of all necessary parts?
The batteries can't be replaced, you must buy the complete sensor. Do yourself a favor and just bite the bullet and change them out. JMO
Old 02-20-2012, 07:22 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
The batteries can't be replaced, you must buy the complete sensor. Do yourself a favor and just bite the bullet and change them out. JMO
This is independent of the tire shop as they only do the rebuild kit.?
I still have to order tires anyway so I can have tire shop hold off on rebuild kit part?

Last edited by LS WON; 02-20-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

You have to order the new sensors from a chevy dealer(local or one of the forum sponsors) and order the new tires from Tirerack or Discount Tire Direct, or ?????. then take all the items to the tire shop of your choice. When they break down your ties/wheels, have them install the new sensors along with the new tires. The tire shop will then have to program the new sensors to your car. They should have the tool to do that. With the new sensor, you do not need the so called "rebuild" kit the tire shop has. The new sensors come with the new o-rings and valve stem cores.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-20-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:31 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

This is independent of the tire shop as they only do the rebuild kit.?
I still have to order tires anyway so I can have tire shop hold off on rebuild kit part?
Last year before I traded my 05 in I was just about ready to order new tires and sensors. Discount Tire quoted me a price for new sensors, I don't remember how much it was though. Whoever is mounting your tires, you can get sensors from them. I do remember that Costco had the best price on sensors when I checked around.

One thing, I was going to have one of the local Chev dealers do the tires because they agreed to match the tire price of discount tire. I was going to buy the sensors from a forum vendor and take them along to the dealer. They said that they would install them but if I didn't buy them from the dealership there would be no warranty on the sensors. If I would have bought them through the dealer there would have been a 12 month warranty on them if the failed.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 02-20-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:41 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Last year before I traded my 05 in I was just about ready to order new tires and sensors. Discount Tire quoted me a price for new sensors, I don't remember how much it was though. Whoever is mounting your tires, you can get sensors from them. I do remember that Costco had the best price on sensors when I checked around.
Thanks for that info. When they bring up the rebuild kit I will
ask them to see if they can throw in the sensors since the rebuild kit doesn't come complete with sensors.
All cars now do come with TPS as it's federal law so one would think they would have all parts to do a complete job.
Unless for some reason it MUST be a factory sensor.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

One thing, I was going to have one of the local Chev dealers do the tires because they agreed to match the tire price of discount tire. I was going to buy the sensors from a forum vendor and take them along to the dealer. They said that they would install them but if I didn't buy them from the dealership there would be no warranty on the sensors. If I would have bought them through the dealer there would have been a 12 month warranty on them if the failed.
Isn't that unusual for Chev. dealership to match price of tire shop on tires?
Then you would have been stuck with the Goodyears or limited to that brand compared to Michelin, Nitto Invos, Kumhos, Bridgestones etc.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:48 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

You have to order the new sensors from a chevy dealer(local or one of the forum sponsors) and order the new tires from Tirerack or Discount Tire Direct, or ?????. then take all the items to the tire shop of your choice. When they break down your ties/wheels, have them install the new sensors along with the new tires. The tire shop will then have to program the new sensors to your car. They should have the tool to do that. With the new sensor, you do not need the so called "rebuild" kit the tire shop has. The new sensors come with the new o-rings and valve stem cores.
So is the factory Chev. TPM preferred over whatever Discount Tire uses or any aftermarket sensor?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:53 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Isn't that unusual for Chev. dealership to match price of tire shop on tires?
Then you would have been stuck with the Goodyears or limited to that brand compared to Michelin, Nitto Invos, Kumhos, Bridgestones etc.
The Chevrolet dealerships were matching tire prices last fall with just about anyone, I don't know if that's still the case. I was going to go with a set of Michelin AS ZP Pilot Sports. Now I have a new car with another set of the Good Years.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:57 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

So is the factory Chev. TPM preferred over whatever Discount Tire uses or any aftermarket sensor?
I have no idea of the compatibility or the battery life span of any aftermarket tire sensor.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:59 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I was told there were only a couple of manufacturers of sensors, I don't know if that's true. In the end I had the dealer within $60 of discount complete price and that came with a one year warranty on the sensors but then traded my car.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 02-20-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:11 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Well it turns out that it's $124.50 for the road hazard warranty which is for the life of the tire and not 3 years. He said he will put that in writing on invoice.
There was no recommendation to change TPS as the only thing they do is check to see if seal is broken and if it is that's where the rebuild TPS comes in. I don't think they will install new TPM sensors.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

One thing folks about buying ANYTHING with a battery in it from GM - Don't forget how long the part has already been sitting on the self! If the battery in not inserted fresh at install time, then it might be dead already fresh off the shelf. Ask me how I know...
Old 02-21-2012, 09:22 AM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
One thing folks about buying ANYTHING with a battery in it from GM - Don't forget how long the part has already been sitting on the self! If the battery in not inserted fresh at install time, then it might be dead already fresh off the shelf. Ask me how I know...
Good point! I replaced my tires at 42K on our '05 last year. I didn't replace the sensors because I am thinking about replacing the car. If you are planning on keeping the car for another 4-5 years, I would replace the sensor with new GM sensors. Maybe there is a date on them so you can see how old they are?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:00 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Is there a way to test battery? Plus wouldn't they test the battery before install?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:13 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A tire shop is also going to charge you $$$$$ to install new sensors, say, 3 years from now, and you will still have to fork up the ~$250 for the new sensors at that time.
Not so.

A tire shop won't even remove the tire when replacing the sensor and it's very cheap.

Had a new sensor replaced on my wifes XLR-V for just under 60 bucks (including the sensor). I think it was $55...something like that at Discount Tire.

I wouldn't replace the TPMS until it needs replacing.

Get notified of new replies

To When replacing your tires

Old 02-21-2012, 12:54 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Not so.

A tire shop won't even remove the tire when replacing the sensor and it's very cheap.

Had a new sensor replaced on my wifes XLR-V for just under 60 bucks (including the sensor). I think it was $55...something like that at Discount Tire.

I wouldn't replace the TPMS until it needs replacing.
That's the impression I got from the person that wrote up my order. They were not pushing replacement of sensor and they only have the rebuild TPS kit which is a seal/nut, O ring .
He said they check the condition of those items and replace only if necessary.

Last edited by LS WON; 02-21-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

They aren't replacing the battery. That's the item that fails, and it's cheaper and less likely to end up with wheel damage if the TPS is replaced when you put on a new set of tires.

You have 7 years on the current batteries and tires, so I'm assuming you plan on driving another 7 years on your new tires. That's 14 years on the original batteries in the original TPS's. It's a gamble if they will last that long. With 7 years on them and the tires off the rim, I would go ahead and replace the sensors. I know it's another ~$250, but you are most likely going to have to replace them before you wear our your new tires. A tire shop is also going to charge you $$$$$ to install new sensors, say, 3 years from now, and you will still have to fork up the ~$250 for the new sensors at that time.

You get new o-rings with the new sensors, along with new valve stem cores. If the nuts aren't damaged they do not need replacing(not at $6 each). They aren't doing you any favors in selling you a so called "rebuild" kit. The sensors don't have to be removed to change the tires, so if the o rings aren't leaking now, they don't need to replace them. Same goes with the cores( You can buy new cores and the little wrench at any parts store or Walmart) and it is replaced with the tire on the rim and the rim on the car. Takes about 1 minute to replace the core plus the time to air the tire back up.

I've had sensors go bad with well less than 7 years on them.

Bill
Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

I've had sensors go bad with well less than 7 years on them.

Bill
That's where I am at now 2005 to now is 7 years. Then again I am also still on original Delco battery which is fine and original tires but front ones are worn.

Quick Reply: When replacing your tires