C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lastest motor trend (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Jim, points well made !
Old 02-28-2012, 11:23 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default motor trend AGAIN!

Corvette gs vs porsche carrera s so you knew how this was going to go.

if they had put all season tires on a z06, the results would have been different. but the newest version of the 911 had to get a good review and what better way.

pm little MT had to sprinkle it with sarcasm.

no need to read the article, because you've read this one for years.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

meh

Old 02-28-2012, 11:28 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

$56K Corvette vs $97K go figure
Old 02-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Ramblin On
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sledmaster
I just read an article in the new MT mag. about a Porsche vs a GS and they called the GS dangerous to drive in the cold and rain. Both drivers almost crashed the GS. Seems the tires are not very good.
What a hoot! MT is about as good a comic book as there is.

No one in their right (or left) mind will give any credence to that article. It was, at best, a mediocre tire comparison, not a valid car review. Of course IF the article lived up to a true comparative test, it would have pitted/tested the P against a ZR1 on a neutral pavement. On that test I bet on the ZR1, but that comparison won't sell magazines or Porsches either.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:51 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Let me summarize how the article will read:

Price - Corvette wins easily by $30,000.00 as tested.
Features - Corvette includes equal or more standard features.
Performance - Corvette stops sooner, accelerates equal or faster, does the slalom in a better time and beats the Porsche on a road course.
Interior - Porsche wins (reference price as tested ). Insert various jokes and comments about plastic, poor seats, etc.

Overall winner - Porsche.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:52 AM
superscout03
Advanced

MT better not have said anything about the design of the vette and how its body style is 8 years old. Porsche is already known as the most lazy of vehicle designers, the 911 has barely changed its body in over 20 years. Porsches are fun to drive but damn they just look out dated no matter which one you get. Look at the fail porsche boxter, ooooh iit looks just like the caymen, ooooh and looks like the 911. oooh and the SUV porsche looks like a 911 with taller tires.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 AM
sportcruiser
Pro

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Read it and weep; the G/S is a fair weather car. Of course, nobody who owens one wants to acknowlege the fact, and will say Motor Trend is predjudiced against Corvettes, yadda, yadda, yadda. Not true, they simply reported the facts that some find hard to swallow. Unfortunately these kind of reports don't help Corvette sales; too bad they didn't test the base model equipped with the F55 suspension, it would have faired much better.
Any car with wide, summer tires on it is a fair weather car.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90

Performance - Corvette stops sooner, accelerates equal or faster, does the slalom in a better time and beats the Porsche on a road course.
Interior - Porsche wins (reference price as tested ). Insert various jokes and comments about plastic, poor seats, etc.

Outstanding post..
Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Yep, that sounds like most of them.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:03 PM
78PC
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Tires

I read the article last night and would have to agree the tires (Eagle F1's) probably had something to do with the wet performance. However, the the Pirelli PZero tires are likewise max summer performance tires and are not all weather. We all know the C6's interior is not as nice as a 131,000 porsche. I would argue the C6's interior is not as nice as the entry level porsche. I obviously like porsche, but I can't afford the car's price and the associated German service. That's why I have chosen the vette as I believe it's the best bang for the buck.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Goatdad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

Old 02-28-2012, 12:10 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

F**k Motor Trend
Old 02-28-2012, 12:10 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got an idea, let's test a GS with warm/dry weather tires in the freezing rain/snow against the P car which costs waaaaay more. We'll also say that the GS is the "Best American Sports Car".
Note: What is the Z06 or ZR1?
Holy sheet, that GS scared us in the cold and rain/snow.
Maybe we should take some driving courses before we do that. Oops, too late.
That P car sure is sweet.

What a total crock of sheet.
A total hatchet job.

If I was payin for this rag, I'd cancel.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:19 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I cancelled MT last night. Tired of Corvette bashing.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:24 PM
STONEFLYE
Instructor

Apples to oranges .. who picks this drivel?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:26 PM
BriscoCounty
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, the price as tested was a $72K GS versus a $131K 911!! Just a little more than $30000 in difference. And yes, they hated the Corvette seats, the interior in general, and the antiquated NAV, HUD, and the entire electronics. But we all know the Corvette C6 is old, its not a new car anymore, and is in need of an update. The 911 is relatively new, so comparing a 7 year old model to a new one, especially one that cost $60,000 more is a bit ridiculous. And most of the comparison was in the rain where the Corvette did not do well, and the 911 supposed in 2WD mode was awesome! But that's more of a fault with the GY F1s than the Corvette.

Although I did drive mine for 4 years in all weather except actual snow. Saw down to 5 degrees with the F1s and some hard driving rain, and never had an issue. Nervous at times, definitely, but got to and from work for 4 years without a single problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Lastest motor trend (Merged)

Old 02-28-2012, 12:32 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

yup pretty much it. I still flip through MT sometimes, if I am traveling and board I might pick up a copy and flip through it and read an article or 2.. never really gets to me if they bash the Corvette.. big deal it's stinking magazine article. WTF cares
Old 02-28-2012, 12:32 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 409 Posts

I really don't care. Regardless of the brand of the car, comments about tire performance should be reviewed within the context of what the tire is. I don't know what the Porsche was using for this test, but the tires were obviously better suited for wet and/or cold weather driving.

The Corvette is what it is; an exceptional value in a sports/GT style car that competes with cars costing much more. It's far from perfect, and the lower price can show up in some areas; performance not being one of those areas.

Car magazines would be pretty boring if all they did was heap praise on every car they tested. Tom McCahill used to write like that; with nothing but glowing reviews of every car he tested. His reviews were popular, and he was a really entertaining writer, but the reader really learned nothing about the cars he drove for his tests.

I don't mind reviews that are critical of the Vette in that they can point out areas of weakness that could be improved. Regarding the MT test, it would have been interesting to test the cars with the same tires; but that's not how the factory supplied them. Maybe the message to GM is that they need to put better tires on their cars if they want to compete on the world stage.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:59 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Well, according to MT, if you don't know how to drive a high-performance car , the Porsche has advanced to the point where it is more idiot-proof and therefore is the winner. MT is just appealing to its readership and trying to survive in a declining (magazine publishing) industry

Quick Reply: Lastest motor trend (Merged)