C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Corvette Fever" from Road&Track!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:52 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowhead
The article also states the GS ,Z06, and ZR1 have a wider frame then the base car. Is this true?
No, just a wider track due to the wheels & tires.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 275 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

Saw the video earlier and I think it said that the GS was 6 seconds faster around the course vs the base C6.

No never mind they are all great cars BECAUSE WE ALL OWN ONE (or more)
Old 03-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I love the upper models, the reality is that the base Z51 model is good enough for me. You can't really use 400 HP on the street in the first place, and unless your tracking all the time, that's where the car will spend 90% of its life. All this Basegsz06zr1 crap is for the birds.

Oh, and I love my targa top. Never had a convertible and damn is it a neat compromise.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:56 PM
CMCvette
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

And how awesome is that color? I wonder if that's going to be available on the C7...
Old 03-02-2012, 03:13 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The beauty of the base car is that it has the softer leaf springs that give you a good ride when your not at the track. Throw in some larger sway bars and better tires and I'll run with the GS crowd and have a great ride! Does that make me a GS hater?
Old 03-02-2012, 03:18 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
The beauty of the base car is that it has the softer leaf springs that give you a good ride when your not at the track. Throw in some larger sway bars and better tires and I'll run with the GS crowd and have a great ride! Does that make me a GS hater?
They had no complaints about the GS' ride on the streets. They liked it (all of the models actually) quite a bit.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:45 AM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
It's not model snobbery from me, it's the fact that I was right and the GS haters were wrong. All I hear from you hater jerks is that the GS is a poser car, that's equal to or slower than the base model, and not worth the 5k. Well it turns out it is worth that much if you track your car, and it turns out it's track performance does split the base and ZO6 on track, so you can eat your crow like a man or cry like a baby, your choice.
Sounds like you are the one crying here. Im no GS hater, go look and see if you can find where ive ever said anything negative about a GS and get back with me....

I bought my base coupe in 2009 before the GS came out, and i got a helluva deal on it (41k for a 2LT with A6 and chrome gumbys). Had i waited another year i might have actually bought a GS, but honestly, there's nothing currently about the GS that makes me have to "trade up" from my bargain value to get it. Your LS3 and my LS3 are still the same, just like the Cobalt steering wheels we share. I do like my payments better the way they are now though.

I do see some model snobbery around here.....to which all i can say is grow up. If youre really looking for someone to eat crow then you belong back on the playground.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 AM
BigKitty
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Great article. No bad Corvettes, some just better than others depending upon what you want from the car.
A vette for every budget!Sounds good to me!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Finally, a positive article about our cars -
Old 03-02-2012, 08:59 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by z edge
Sounds like you are the one crying here. Im no GS hater, go look and see if you can find where ive ever said anything negative about a GS and get back with me....

I bought my base coupe in 2009 before the GS came out, and i got a helluva deal on it (41k for a 2LT with A6 and chrome gumbys). Had i waited another year i might have actually bought a GS, but honestly, there's nothing currently about the GS that makes me have to "trade up" from my bargain value to get it. Your LS3 and my LS3 are still the same, just like the Cobalt steering wheels we share. I do like my payments better the way they are now though.

I do see some model snobbery around here.....to which all i can say is grow up. If youre really looking for someone to eat crow then you belong back on the playground.
First, I am not crying, I was proven right so Im laughing. You were proven wrong and now you are lashing out at me here online, because you would never say these things in person.

Its the cowards like you who hide behind your keyboard and never drive your car the way it was intended who like to bash other peoples rides. Not the people like me who drive them hard and take them to the track.

I am pointing out the facts .

People like you who are insecure with their purchase love to take it out on other peoples rides. You come on here and say the cars are the same ( like you just did ) performance wise, but they are NOT the same. The GS is closer to a Z06 than it is to your car when talking about racetrack performance.

Then you say there is nothing in the GS you feel is an upgrade - you are BASHING the GS!

Go back to bragging about your ride to your neighbors and the people at Starbucks, maybe all of them will tell you that your car is 'the best' simply because you bought it.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:19 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Pretty much puts to rest the whole 'base is equal to a GS around a racetrack' nonsense, and validates my claim that the GS is about half way between a base and a Z06 when talking closed course performance. The comments sound pretty impressed with the GS as well.

The numbers back me up, so you GS haters can go pound sand!

What surprised me was how the Z06 beat the ZR1.
I saw an article a couple weeks back, I forget which magazine or website it was, I think it was over in the Z06 section somewhere, but it was comparing the GTR Vs Z06/Z07 package vs. ZR1... and the Z06 etched out the ZR1 there too but not by much.

My thinking on this is that with so much extra power and torque the ZR1 has, it's harder to manage all that power and the throttle... and even a pro-driver has to have a lot of seat time in the car to really learn to manage that extra 138HP over the Z06.

It just goes to prove that Brakes and Tires are almost as important, if not more important in most cases than HP.. look at the difference in the original 06 Z06 that was tested back when the car came out, and now look at the differnce when they put ZR1 brakes/suspension and tires on the Z06.

Last edited by FrankTank; 03-02-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 AM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Pretty much puts to rest the whole 'base is equal to a GS around a racetrack' nonsense, and validates my claim that the GS is about half way between a base and a Z06 when talking closed course performance. The comments sound pretty impressed with the GS as well.

Read the "facts" as you call them ... F55 was on the GS, not the base. Put F55, Z51 sways, equivalent tire sizes on both cars and my hypothesis is the gap closes. GS is a great car, but don't be rippin on the narrow body without all the "facts"

Last edited by TSLAVette; 03-02-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:05 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

First, I am not crying, I was proven right so Im laughing. You were proven wrong and now you are lashing out at me here online, because you would never say these things in person.
How is it again that im proven wrong? Once again...please do a search of my posts and tell me where ive said ONE THING negative about the Grand Sport. If you will notice, ive even stated in my previous post that you quoted that if a GS was avail in 2009 i might have bought one! Is that what you call "bashing" Really?

Go do a search of my posts....tell me where ive "bashed" the GS....still waiting.....

Its the cowards like you who hide behind your keyboard and never drive your car the way it was intended who like to bash other peoples rides. Not the people like me who drive them hard and take them to the track.
Here you go again....first off....dont call me a coward. You don't know me. Secondly, have you spent the last 3 years with me? How do you know how i drive my car? You don't

I am pointing out the facts .
No, your pointing out to everyone how stupid you are.

People like you who are insecure with their purchase love to take it out on other peoples rides. You come on here and say the cars are the same ( like you just did ) performance wise, but they are NOT the same. The GS is closer to a Z06 than it is to your car when talking about racetrack performance.
Again, nothing to be insecure about here on my end. I said the LS3 and steering wheel were the same.....READING COMPREHENSION 101

I pretty much love all corvettes...even if a few of the owners are complete JERKS!

One more time....LINK ME UP TO WHERE I BASHED A GS...still waiting....

Then you say there is nothing in the GS you feel is an upgrade - you are BASHING the GS!
Nope, didnt say that at all. i simply said for me its not worth trading my base car for a GS, my opinion and nothing wrong with that.

I will even say further, the GS, Z06, & ZR1 are all awesome cars that i would love to own. But for clarification im perfectly happy with the base car as it best fits my particular budget at this time.

Go back to bragging about your ride to your neighbors and the people at Starbucks, maybe all of them will tell you that your car is 'the best' simply because you bought it.
a.) i dont brag to my neighbors....most of them could care less about what i drive. Plus, im not a braggart
b.) i dont go to starbucks, heck i dont even drink coffee
c.) go back to grade school where you belong if your going to come in here and act like a spoiled little girl who didn't win the beauty contest.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 PM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats a bit of an misrepresentation IMO.

Firstly, the gripes on here about the magazine reviews are based on the situation where the Vette dominates its competition in the measurables, against more expensive cars, but somehow ends up near the bottom in total score.

Secondly, This article wasnt comparing any car to a Corvette, it was comparing the different Corvette models.
Like the man says,

Praise = Genius

Criticism = Stupidity
Old 03-02-2012, 01:16 PM
thedigitel
Pro

Unsubscribed.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:29 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

This started out to be a good post with some positive news especially after the MotorTrend article. Unfortunately it has degenerated into meaningless personal attacks. I'm out of here.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:56 PM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The GS being an excellent track car? Of course! All I have is the base C6 with a Z51 package and it's still a monster of a track car. We can't all afford a z06 AND go to the track.

Any Corvette is a good Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To "Corvette Fever" from Road&Track!

Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Was the base model a Z51 or the "new" detuned post GS version......full disclosure: non hater of any Vette model
Old 03-02-2012, 05:01 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Do we all feel better now about our beloved Corvette....
Old 03-02-2012, 05:02 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Funny how if an article praises the Vette, us forum members talk about like it was gospel.If an car magazine criticizes the Vette, it's a car "rag" where the writers can't drive.
go figure this would happen on a Corvette forum...duh...

Quick Reply: "Corvette Fever" from Road&Track!