C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally! a properly build roll bar by Tollefab

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:34 AM
mikymu
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Finally! a properly build roll bar by Tollefab

When I first acquire my Z06 Carbon I thought to myself I should not have any problem finding a properly build roll bar for track. I could not be more wrong. There are many roll bar or "chassis stiffening" bars on the market but they are either build for street or drag racing and if they are for the track I found them to lack some proper design to protect my spine in a case of roll over. What's worst than not having a roll bar in a roll over is to have a poorly engineered metal pipes behind you that could either pierce the floor or becomes a potential dagger pointing at your torso.

I then decided to do this right and commission Mike Tolle at Tollefab to custom make a roll bar that meets SCCA requirement where I can build on the roll bar to a cage in the future if needed. I got to know Mike from Driving Ambition's red twin turbo NSX. It has the best roll cage I have seen other than my GT3 Cup. Shad at Driving Ambition told me when they tech their NSX the inspector will have all the driver gather around their NSX and said "this is how you should build a roll cage!"

What I wanted from this roll bar was the following
  • Functional safety roll bar
  • Use the best material for roll bar/cage which is mild steel
  • Not heavy
  • Not intrude on rear view or the cabin
  • Bolt in design, tig weld and a work of art
  • Budget under $2500 all said and done

Well, I pick up the car today and I was floored by how well the roll bar fits. It is totally functional as a added safety equipment and what an work of art and weigh 45 lbs without mounting hardware which adds another 5 lbs and best of all ... well under $2500

Here is a photo journal of the build.

Removing the interior and getting a proper racing seat

The OMP seat in the Z06 looks great next to my GT3 Cup

Mike prepping the floor at the trunk and B-pillar to accept the bolt on roll bar

Mike welded in attachment points on the bottom of B-pillar for maximum strength

Tig welded custom foot plates for the floor of the B-pillar

Roll bar attachment at foot of B-pillar

Tight clearance of the roll bar and it has to be the right distance to the back of my OMP chair

Clearance check from the back. Trunk supporting bars are bolt on to the main hoop. Tig welds was completed once roll bars are removed from the inside of the car

Finished products and powder coat to black. What a great looking roll bar

It looks stunning in the car and there are no noise while driving. I can't be more pleased and can't wait to take her on the track. Thanks again Mike for completing the project in less than 2 weeks and under budget.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:41 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Impressive! And since I don't know much about it, those bolt-in portions (the two rear pieces) are strong for a rollover?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:13 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Very nice looking roll bar
Old 03-01-2012, 10:20 AM
SuperchargedStroker
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pm what something like that would run me.. And where please..
Thanks..
Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice car and good job on the roll bar.

I agree, a custom fabricated bar is the best way to go. I also did mine with the idea of adding the side bars and front 'cage' in the future. I did, however, add a stout, removable, diagonal strut going from the main hoop down into the passenger side foot well for added protection and rigidity. Making sure the roll bar complies with organization specs is also critical. I've seen several roll bars fail inspection. I'm glad to see you tore into the headliner. I assume that gives the main hoop enough height over your head/helmet. I know some guys that have had to literally cut the roof off, install the roll bar and then extend and reattach the roof (to give the hoop enough clearance over their head/helmet).

You've got a beautiful car and best of all you're enjoying its performance on the track. Again, good job!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Actually any roll bar is more of a secondary item in a roll over. All of the rollovers I have seen happen and pictures/videos of others show the C5/C6/C6Z roof halo is very strong and holds up well in a rollover. The windshield pillars are the weak spot They crush down and leave little room for the occupants. Basically, if you want to have better rollover protection than a harness bar provides you need to go to a full cage so the windshield doesn't collapse in on you. You have a good start toward the cage keep going.

Bill
Old 03-01-2012, 12:31 PM
mikymu
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Impressive! And since I don't know much about it, those bolt-in portions (the two rear pieces) are strong for a rollover?
The trunk lgs are to prevent the ain hoop from bending back in a case of roll over and it does not bear the main weight burden

Originally Posted by peter pan
Very nice looking roll bar
Thanks

Originally Posted by SuperchargedStroker
Pm what something like that would run me.. And where please..
Thanks..
It's done by Mike Tolle at Sacramento and u can call him at 916-524-5315 if you have more question. Price depends on how you prep the car. Less work for him means less expense. People normally charge $3500 around Northern California for custom roll bar so Mike's price is fantastic!

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Nice car and good job on the roll bar.

I agree, a custom fabricated bar is the best way to go. I also did mine with the idea of adding the side bars and front 'cage' in the future. I did, however, add a stout, removable, diagonal strut going from the main hoop down into the passenger side foot well for added protection and rigidity. Making sure the roll bar complies with organization specs is also critical. I've seen several roll bars fail inspection. I'm glad to see you tore into the headliner. I assume that gives the main hoop enough height over your head/helmet. I know some guys that have had to literally cut the roof off, install the roll bar and then extend and reattach the roof (to give the hoop enough clearance over their head/helmet).

You've got a beautiful car and best of all you're enjoying its performance on the track. Again, good job!
Thanks. I hate to totally tear the interior up fo a cage but may end up doing it if I track on a egular basis

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Actually any roll bar is more of a secondary item in a roll over. All of the rollovers I have seen happen and pictures/videos of others show the C5/C6/C6Z roof halo is very strong and holds up well in a rollover. The windshield pillars are the weak spot They crush down and leave little room for the occupants. Basically, if you want to have better rollover protection than a harness bar provides you need to go to a full cage so the windshield doesn't collapse in on you. You have a good start toward the cage keep going.

Bill
Yes, B-pillar is suppose to e stringer than A pillar but it will sustain the weight f the car in a violet roll over ... which I seen one to many time. Just witness aother roll over couple weeks ao where the roof pancake down to the door and the car did not have a roll bar
Old 01-08-2014, 01:35 AM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one of his cages in my z06. Its a full 10 point with removable side bars. I still have windows but missing half my door skins.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:18 AM
Z_Monzter
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Piece of art!!! Very Nice!!!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:52 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Very nice! How much did it help the handling?

Get notified of new replies

To Finally! a properly build roll bar by Tollefab

Quick Reply: Finally! a properly build roll bar by Tollefab