C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Orbital Polishers > Really all that necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,085 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Random Orbital Polishers > Really all that necessary?

I did a search to find info on random orbital polishers. Most threads deal with what brand of polisher members here like best, or proper ways to remove swirls, etc.

I was seriously thinking about buying one until I looked at some youtube videos on how to use them.

Seems like they are used to [apply] the wax/polish, but after the wax is applied, you need to still use the old-fashioned way to remove the wax, and that is by hand with a 100% cotton or micro-fiber towel.

For the life of me, I can't really see the need for a $130 - $180+ electric polisher just to apply wax ... That's the easy part! ... Taking the wax off and buffing to a high shine is the harder part, but again, that's all done by hand even if you own an electric random orbital polisher.

Now, I can understand that an older neglected car with lots of paint fade would benifit from using a heavy compound applied with a polisher to remove the oxidation, but most of us here don't drive Corvettes with heavily oxidized paint ... And to be honest, if I had a car with real faded and oxidized paint, I would take it to a paint refinisher and have it machined out by a pro using an industrial rotary buffer and compound.

So, other than to maybe making removal of some "swirls" in the paint a little easier, is buying a random orbital polisher really something "I just can't live without" if all I would normally use it for is to wax the car?

Thank's for any input

Ron
Old 03-04-2012, 06:02 PM
CyberBullet
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use it to remove the fine scratches that gets in ALL paint. It does a great job on that. I never use it to apply my wax.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:12 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

You can get microfiber pads to remove the polish/wax. They make them to fit most if not all orbital polishers. Check Auto Geek.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by CyberBullet
I use it to remove the fine scratches that gets in ALL paint. It does a great job on that. I never use it to apply my wax.
And I guess you don't use it to remove the wax either.

See, that's the reason I find it hard to justify buying a random orbital polisher.

Removing swirls in the paint is great, but how often do we really need to do that? ... enough to go out and buy an electric polisher?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by c6vette

You can get microfiber pads to remove the polish/wax. They make them to fit most if not all orbital polishers. Check Auto Geek.
I was thinking about buying the Griot's Garage 6" random orbital polisher, but I see that microfiber pads are not even available for that model.

I was also looking at a Porter-Cable and a Meguire's model polisher, but they are somewhere around 4.5 amps, whereass the Griot's Garage polisher has a more powerful 7.0 amp motor.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 PM
CyberBullet
Pro

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
And I guess you don't use it to remove the wax either.

See, that's the reason I find it hard to justify buying a random orbital polisher.

Removing swirls in the paint is great, but how often do we really need to do that? ... enough to go out and buy an electric polisher?
No, I don't use it to take it off either. I use it on both my cars. The C6 does not need it as much but my HHR , which is black, gets it at least a couple of times a year.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:20 PM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What color is your car? For a dark color it removes swirl marks MUCH faster than by hand. I think it is mainly for removing swirls, not for applying wax. At least that's how I use it.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:23 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I was thinking about buying the Griot's Garage 6" random orbital polisher, but I see that microfiber pads are not even available for that model.

I was also looking at a Porter-Cable and a Meguire's model polisher, but they are somewhere around 4.5 amps, whereass the Griot's Garage polisher has a more powerful 7.0 amp motor.
*NEED* is the key qualifier here. I don't own one. But, a couple of months ago, a friend brought over his Griot's 6-inch ROP, and it did a great job. It did a slightly better job of what I could do by hand, and it did it in much less time (~50%).

I still haven't bought one, but I am strongly considering one, given the time savings.

BTW - only used it to apply the polish/glaze/wax..not to remove.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by CyberBullet

No, I don't use it to take it off either. I use it on both my cars. The C6 does not need it as much but my HHR , which is black, gets it at least a couple of times a year.
That makes sense ... Jeeeze, if I had a black car, I might buy 2 polishers ... 1 as a backup, if the other one ever broke down!

Old 03-04-2012, 06:25 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

A while ago I made micro bonnets by cutting a 10 inch circle out of a 15" micro pad. Had my wife sew a 1/2" hem and inserts elastic band in the hem. I made it to fit over a std 6" pad. Made about 4 of them and they have lasted over 5 years and they can be washed just like any micro cloth.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 PM
CyberBullet
Pro

That makes sense ... Jeeeze, if I had a black car, I might buy 2 polishers ... 1 as a backup, if the other one ever broke down!

The HHR is the LAST black car I believe I will ever own. Way too much paint maintenance involved.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by marc8090

What color is your car? For a dark color it removes swirl marks MUCH faster than by hand. I think it is mainly for removing swirls, not for applying wax. At least that's how I use it.

Supersonic Blue ... A dark color, but really don't show swirls all that much

Old 03-04-2012, 06:40 PM
newskatercat
Drifting

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I have never needed one, in 50 years, and all my cars have looked great! Including the 40 plus years of rain, snow, ice, salt water, and whatever else New England weather provided!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:47 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

until you own a porter cable you will never understand the need for a dual action polisher. it is pretty much the industry standard and most professional detail shops use them.don't let the griots 7.0 amp motor sway you. the 7424xp has more than enough power to do whatever you need. the proper pads, polishes/compounds for which type type of paint surface are the key to make these machines perform. and yes you can apply and remove all types of compounds,paint cleaners,polishes,waxes and sealants with the PC. you will learn the best way to use these machines is practice in as much as they all have little tricks and techniques that work for each individual user. BTW i have a porter cable.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:52 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by c6vette
A while ago I made micro bonnets by cutting a 10 inch circle out of a 15" micro pad. Had my wife sew a 1/2" hem and inserts elastic band in the hem. I made it to fit over a std 6" pad. Made about 4 of them and they have lasted over 5 years and they can be washed just like any micro cloth.
why wouldn't you just buy the 6" micro bonnets instead of all that work. they are sold all over.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:53 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
until you own a porter cable you will never understand the need for a dual action polisher. it is pretty much the industry standard and most professional detail shops use them.don't let the griots 7.0 amp motor sway you. the 7424xp has more than enough power to do whatever you need. the proper pads, polishes/compounds for which type type of paint surface are the key to make these machines perform. and yes you can apply and remove all types of compounds,paint cleaners,polishes,waxes and sealants with the PC. you will learn the best way to use these machines is practice in as much as they all have little tricks and techniques that work for each individual user. BTW i have a porter cable.
What this gentleman says...it makes all cars paint look better easier...
Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

"Random Orbital Polishers > Really all that necessary?"

YES - why else would every professional detailer on the planet use them? For the 'polish' stage of detailing a vehicle they are irreplaceable, IMHO.

Get notified of new replies

To Random Orbital Polishers > Really all that necessary?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
"Random Orbital Polishers > Really all that necessary?"

YES - why else would every professional detailer on the planet use them? For the 'polish' stage of detailing a vehicle they are irreplaceable, IMHO.
Q: Why else would every professional detailer on the planet use them?

A: Random Orbitals produce great results in the hands of the right individual. But, also, professionals have to detail a lot of cars to run a successful operation. Random Orbitals enable them to do more, good work than they could otherwise do by hand.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

They make your job easier....especially when using Zaino or doing multiple coats or you had a torn rotator like me.

My wife bought me one a couple of years ago and am really glad I have a Porter Cable.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:26 PM
ptaylor_9849
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both a random orbital and a rotary polisher. I mainly use the rotary for paint correction (especially on finicky corvette clear coat) and the R/O for wax application and hologram removal. I can fully wax a car with a R/O in about 15 minutes. Both machines have their purpose. Just like regular slotted and philips head screwdrivers.

Quick Reply: Random Orbital Polishers > Really all that necessary?