C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav system sucks

Old 03-07-2012, 10:57 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Very happy with the Kenwood DNX7190HD that has Garmin built in. The one in my Toyota sucks bad too. Unusable.

I see the Corvette logo on there, very nice, do you have HUD and does it work on there?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:59 AM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c54u
That may have been one of the strangest posts I have ever read.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:42 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLo
...have HUD and does it work on there?
There are no aftermarket products that work with the HUD. Only the factory unit will display information on the HUD.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:13 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
There are no aftermarket products that work with the HUD. Only the factory unit will display information on the HUD.
currently yes
might be changing in a couple months
Old 03-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Rednblack
Pro

Originally Posted by JJC5
The reason it's taking you back to your starting point is that you never finished your last trip to that point so the current destination in your NAV is the one where your starting from. If you never saw "you've reached your destination" on the screen, you'll need to cancel guidance by going to menu-options-cancel guidance. Now you can start a new destination.
It's really not that bad of a system. It gets a pretty bad rap.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Like dem Vettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't use mine anymore. I use a Garmin with lifetime maps.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:29 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
currently yes
Ok, if you get one that displays in the HUD and has all of the great iPod integration I'm in!

I really like the HUD integration. It is nice with the radio station and iPod song selection but the navigation directions were extremely useful. I used it in heavy traffic and I never had to look down at the display.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
currently yes
I hope you're not referring to the Pioneer aftermarket that doesn't interface with the HUD but rather hangs a big piece of plastic down in front of your face. I would love to see an aftermarket unit that ties into the cars data network because there is a lot more on that network than just HUD information. I just haven't seen any signs that GM is willing to give up the interface.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:50 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I hope you're not referring to the Pioneer aftermarket that doesn't interface with the HUD but rather hangs a big piece of plastic down in front of your face. I would love to see an aftermarket unit that ties into the cars data network because there is a lot more on that network than just HUD information. I just haven't seen any signs that GM is willing to give up the interface.
NOpe
This will be Kenwood exclusive and will work off the radio.
I am just waiting for more info in regards to how its going to work(if possible to retain hud features) and when they will be available
Old 03-08-2012, 01:04 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

OK. I LOVE the factory Nav because of its features but I would always be interested in something better. Let us know when you have something ready to sell.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:13 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

OK. I LOVE the factory Nav because of its features but I would always be interested in something better. Let us know when you have something ready to sell.
I will for sure
I just cant say to much without Kenwood getting mad at me again like they did when I released the new 2012 units 2 weeks before CES
Old 03-08-2012, 01:29 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Another one of those evil corporations doing everything they can to screw the little guy.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:35 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I find it astounding that in over 8 years in production GM has not seen fit to upgrade the Nav/HU in the C6. And I doubt the 2013 will have ANY improvements.

GM needs to design and build a system that is easily upgradable. I mean no real iPod interface after 8/9 years of production or BT for the first 5 years???

Tom
Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Huh!

Originally Posted by ROD BROWN
A couple of days ago,I went to the desert to visit one of my Army buddys.That Nav system kept taking me different routes back to my original starting point.The Nav system in my opinion is a piece of junk.I have studied the manual and one of the forum members wrote a great supplement manual which I printed out and leave in the car.I am going back to my Magellan GPS.Sorry guys,I am just venting.For the price we pay for this accessory it should work.Rod
Originally Posted by troller399
Noticed you have a 2009... Mines a 08, the screen is small, hard to see in day light hours but the directions have always been spot on...
The NAV double sucks, I've had it turn me into fields, turns at pasture gates, go double distant out of the way, and it doesn't even know the best route which has been effect for 5 or more years. THE NAV IS CRAP! NO, DOUBLE CRAP!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
The NAV double sucks, I've had it turn me into fields, turns at pasture gates, go double distant out of the way, and it doesn't even know the best route which has been effect for 5 or more years. THE NAV IS CRAP! NO, DOUBLE CRAP!
I can understand some that say they do not like the Nav because it's old or maybe not easy to use. But to say it sucks because you clearly did not read the manual or update the disc...Well...
Old 03-10-2012, 04:40 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Just because it is GM and Corvette, doesn't make it good!

Originally Posted by C3 Vette Fan
I can understand some that say they do not like the Nav because it's old or maybe not easy to use. But to say it sucks because you clearly did not read the manual or update the disc...Well...
Just because it is GM and Corvette, doesn't make it good! Yes, I've read the manual, updated disks and drove 64K miles around USA and Canada. I will agree that it is much better than NOTHING, but that is it! Always had to preview the ROAD ATLAS before taking off or I might have not gotten to destinations or home. Yes, I have really tested mine, NO GARAGE QUEEN HERE, just lots of milages with some trips up to eight weeks long. I've even had it showing ONE WAY STREETS GOING THE WRONG WAY when it showed me to turn against the traffic! Good thing I don't count on GM as others.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:49 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
...I've even had it showing ONE WAY STREETS GOING THE WRONG WAY when it showed me to turn against the traffic! Good thing I don't count on GM as others.
Was this you? http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/17/ny...2/17colwe.html
Or maybe you're this guy - http://www.abc57.com/news/local/berr...133044628.html

If you do a search you have a lot of company. There are a lot of people who think a GPS should be infallible and always smarter than they are.

I trust the factory nav far more than my own instincts as long as the directions don't look totally wrong. I've had paper maps tell me there is a road though open pastures. 4 blocks from my house here every map and GPS tells me there is a street though the swing set area of a park. When the factory nav tells be to run over the 4 year old running through the park I'm smart enough to know that probably isn't a good idea and to stay on the street. The factory nav recalculates in just a few seconds and gets it right the second time. No nav or paper map is perfect. The factory nav is far better than guessing but you have to use that thing between your ears for more than just keeping hair out of your throat.

Get notified of new replies

To Nav system sucks

Old 03-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Never been a fan of the bulky screen or the inflated cost of map up grades. If I need a GPS which I usually don't I use a Garmin. The $ I saved paid for NPP and J55 and the Garmin.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:27 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Never been a fan of the bulky screen or the inflated cost of map up grades. If I need a GPS which I usually don't I use a Garmin.
My Garmin with lifetime maps and traffic info cost less than the new version map disks from GM.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've never purchased a factory Nav system but there's a great one for the iPhone....MotionX-GPS. With live voice guidance, constantly updated, current traffic incident info, etc. and you can pipe it through your existing in-car display if you want. I believe, it's rated higher than the Garmin navigation app. In a few comparisons I got more accurate information from this iPhone app than my friend did using his expensive, dedicated Nav system. I'm not sure if there's an Android version but if you have an iPhone I recommend you check out MotionX-GPS. If only as a backup system it's worth having.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nav system sucks