C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protect your headlights on the cheap: X-Pel ships free at PFYC - PartsForYourCar

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Redshift
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Protect your headlights on the cheap: X-Pel ships free at PFYC - PartsForYourCar

Protect Your Car's Expensive Headlights

Free shipping in the lower 48 states using promo code XPEL until March 14, 2012.

Never break an expensive headlight or fog light again! Xpel makes the best headlight protection kits on the market.

With the average cost of replacement head lamps and fog lamps constantly increasing, it is nice to know that there is a product available to protect your car against the perils of the open road. Xpel Light Protection Products are made from a proprietary, scratch-resistant, urethane material coupled with the strongest optically clear 3M adhesive available. Designed for maximum durability, Xpel light covers were originally tested under the harshest of circumstances with amazing results. Both in the real world and in the lab, Xpel covers have proven that they will withstand a barrage of 1" diameter stones (about 1oz.) at speeds up to 120 m.p.h. with no damage to the lens they protect. Though the likelihood of this ever happening to your car in the real world is slim, it is nice to know that your expensive lenses are protected in any scenario. Xpel is so confident in their product that they offer a 5-year warranty to leave you with complete peace of mind. Additionally, Xpel headlamp protection kits can restore clarity to older vehicles with dulled or pitted headlamp lenses.

Don't see your car or truck or motorcycle listed? Simply ask us and we'll find it for you.

Click below to shop for your set and don't forget the promo code above.

----------------

X-Pel Invisible Headlamp Protection for all vehicles at PFYC-PartsForYourCar

----------------

To see a full line-up of our new 2005-2011 Corvette C6 items, please click here.
To see a full line-up of our 2005-2011 Corvette C6 sales and specials, please click here.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds good! I run my car on the track where I'm bombarded with stones and rubber marbles. I've literally driven through a 'curtain' of rocks when someone spun off track in front of me. I generally tape the lamp lenses but not always. I've thought of cutting my own clear adhesive film for protection but this is a ready-made solution.

A few questions....can these adhesive 3M 'sheets' be removed and re-applied if necessary or is it strictly a one time permanent adhesive installation? How many mil thick is the film? Lastly, are there film cutouts for the parking lamp lenses or, do you sell small rectangular sets that could be cut to size?

Thanks for your time and for posting what should be a useful product for me.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Redshift

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Sounds good! I run my car on the track where I'm bombarded with stones and rubber marbles. I've literally driven through a 'curtain' of rocks when someone spun off track in front of me. I generally tape the lamp lenses but not always. I've thought of cutting my own clear adhesive film for protection but this is a ready-made solution.

A few questions....can these adhesive 3M 'sheets' be removed and re-applied if necessary or is it strictly a one time permanent adhesive installation? How many mil thick is the film? Lastly, are there film cutouts for the parking lamp lenses or, do you sell small rectangular sets that could be cut to size?

Thanks for your time and for posting what should be a useful product for me.
Trust me, I've had my share of issues on track, but luckily not with headlamps - usually paint (bumpers) and windshields. VIR South Course is the worst when it comes to boulders smashing you from up front.

These are not removable - they are meant to go on and stay on for a while. The film is 27.2 mil thick with a 5 mil thick adhesive. It's TOUGH stuff. I have it on all of my cars - some of it has been installed for going on 8-9 years and the headlamps are still in like new condition underneath.

The kit for C6 comes with headlight and foglamp protection - so all forward facing lights are protected.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any more questions. Thank you for the interest!
Old 04-21-2012, 02:53 AM
ilovemyredhotc6
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So. Cal. Events Coordinator

Others have posted that it can cause cracks to your headlight lenses. Is this true? What happens if we buy the product and install it and this happens - would the headlights be replaced by the film manufacturer? Thanks!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:03 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Old 04-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,008 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Do I notice a small logo at the bottom center of the product???
Old 04-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Redshift

Originally Posted by ilovemyredhotc6
Others have posted that it can cause cracks to your headlight lenses. Is this true? What happens if we buy the product and install it and this happens - would the headlights be replaced by the film manufacturer? Thanks!
Can you point me towards the posts in question?

I've not heard this before. We have been selling (and personally using - as I have it on all of my personal cars for several years now) X-Pel brand headlight protection for many many years, and never once had a customer with an issue (at least not reported to us, and usually people are fast to report such issues).

My personal cars have had X-pel installed for at least 6 or 7 years, maybe longer, and the original installed set is still there, without any issues on the original light.

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
Do I notice a small logo at the bottom center of the product???
No, there's absolutely no logo on these.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

There's usually at least a couple of threads started a year concerning the film products on the headlights. Most of the threads deteriate into quite the show, Pro and Con.

I try to stay out of it but if drug into the mix I offer just what I have ran accross over the past 4 years with the few hundred headlights I've worked on.

My personal consensus is the headlight lens craze with and without film on them. Now there is that interesting tidbit concerning GM's lack of warranty on the headlights in general and the blurb about not using any kind of covering on the headlights due to the potencial build up of heat it could cause.

Originally Posted by Redshift
Can you point me towards the posts in question?

I've not heard this before. We have been selling (and personally using - as I have it on all of my personal cars for several years now) X-Pel brand headlight protection for many many years, and never once had a customer with an issue (at least not reported to us, and usually people are fast to report such issues).

My personal cars have had X-pel installed for at least 6 or 7 years, maybe longer, and the original installed set is still there, without any issues on the original light.

No, there's absolutely no logo on these.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RLSebring
There's usually at least a couple of threads started a year concerning the film products on the headlights. Most of the threads deteriate into quite the show, Pro and Con.

I try to stay out of it but if drug into the mix I offer just what I have ran accross over the past 4 years with the few hundred headlights I've worked on.

My personal consensus is the headlight lens craze with and without film on them. Now there is that interesting tidbit concerning GM's lack of warranty on the headlights in general and the blurb about not using any kind of covering on the headlights due to the potencial build up of heat it could cause.
For track use I used to always tape the headlamps and parking lights with blue painters tape. I'd use more protective black PVC tape where needed on the body. I've never had a problem. One weekend I didn't have blue painters tape so I used the black PVC tape on the lamp lenses. BIG MISTAKE! After 2 days baking in the Arizona sun the lenses had spiderweb cracks underneath where the tape was.

I carry (additional) full glass coverage on my auto insurance. I haven't verified it but someone told me that the full glass policy rider may cover the replacement of the damaged headlamps.

I ordered the Xpel protective headlamp 'covers' yesterday.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Redshift

Originally Posted by Wayne O
For track use I used to always tape the headlamps and parking lights with blue painters tape. I'd use more protective black PVC tape where needed on the body. I've never had a problem. One weekend I didn't have blue painters tape so I used the black PVC tape on the lamp lenses. BIG MISTAKE! After 2 days baking in the Arizona sun the lenses had spiderweb cracks underneath where the tape was.

I carry (additional) full glass coverage on my auto insurance. I haven't verified it but someone told me that the full glass policy rider may cover the replacement of the damaged headlamps.

I ordered the Xpel protective headlamp 'covers' yesterday.
The color of the tape probably had much to do with the cracking of the lenses. Black + AZ sun = trouble.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Kiser64
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Redshift

My intention here was to offer a special, not really debate the usage of these things. I'm sorry to have started such controversy that we have people lurking and standing by with popcorn.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:40 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My intention here was to offer a special, not really debate the usage of these things. I'm sorry to have started such controversy that we have people lurking and standing by with popcorn.
mmmmm popcorn

I agree. It looks like a good product.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 PM
CLLOFF
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Cant say about use on a vette.
Not looking to debate use or not.
But here in Colorado we put gravel on the roads for winter traction. Front ends and windshields look like they have been sandblasted after just a few years. I always put clear bra on my trucks.
Put the xpel on my 4runner headlights (non-HID) in Dec 2003
Xpel is super thick. Much thicker than any clear bra.
My headlights are perfect over 8 years later.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:16 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

I agree as well But you are selling a product that gets hotly debated so any input you share about the product and history may answer and aliveate some peoples reservations on it's usage.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Redshift

Originally Posted by RLSebring
I agree as well But you are selling a product that gets hotly debated so any input you share about the product and history may answer and aliveate some peoples reservations on it's usage.
I did so above. Beyond that and knowing several friends and others within PFYC who use the product personally, I can't offer any more personal input. I know that no customers have contacted us with any issues over the many years we've been selling it.

Get notified of new replies

To Protect your headlights on the cheap: X-Pel ships free at PFYC - PartsForYourCar

Quick Reply: Protect your headlights on the cheap: X-Pel ships free at PFYC - PartsForYourCar