C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zip GS Removable Front License Plate Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Insure
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zip GS Removable Front License Plate Mount

Does anyone have the GS Removable Front License Plate Mount from Zip?

The website has a quick video showing how easy it is to remove the plate. I'm more concerned with the installation. Is it something that an amateur could install easily? The website makes it sound like it is but there is no information on how it's installed other than that it uses existing hardware.

Also, I'm looking for someone that has installed this on their Corvette to say if they'd recommend it or not.

Thanks!

Specifically I'm referring to this one:

The website is:
http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductD...GR-SR&CTitle=&
Old 03-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If you don't get feedback, pm Garrett. He has one. He said it was easy.
I will be getting one. Nice unit.

He is in my contact list.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:37 PM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I have a friend with a new GS that has it installed. It works well and in fact I just ordered mine for my 2010 GS yesterday.

The nice feature is no center grill blockage and it's removable for shows or cruise in's.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Pitbull11
Racer

Originally Posted by turbod
Yes, I have a friend with a new GS that has it installed. It works well and in fact I just ordered mine for my 2010 GS yesterday.

The nice feature is no center grill blockage and it's removable for shows or cruise in's.
So are you saying that if it is mounted in the middle where it looks better that it will block airflow, causing a "problem" with your Vette? If this is true about the center mounted plate causing a problem could you site some techical information that supports the need for the off set plate.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:00 PM
CBRXX
Racer

I am looking at options myself. There is a bit more information here, and cheaper, at West Coast Corvettes, who I am pretty sure is a forum vendor. There is a small link to install instructions too.
http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/s-1....aspx?skinid=2

Last edited by CBRXX; 03-08-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Pitbull11
So are you saying that if it is mounted in the middle where it looks better that it will block airflow, causing a "problem" with your Vette? If this is true about the center mounted plate causing a problem could you site some techical information that supports the need for the off set plate.
You are correct, it looks better in the middle and there are no issues with airflow blockages with the plate mounted in the middle
Old 03-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I doubt you will get a response with any technical data to support this claim.

The radiator is fed from below and track testing (Chuck CoW) has already proved that the center mounted plate doesn't interfere with CAI's like the VaraRam.

Literally thousands of the center-mounted, quickly removed plate mounts from Vendors like Top-Flight have been sold.

If there were any problems associated with these, there would be a mass outpouring of complaints from the Forum.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:23 PM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Flight Reproductions
You are correct, it looks better in the middle and there are no issues with airflow blockages with the plate mounted in the middle
I'm not sure I agree... Its not bad on the side! Bottomline I wish I did not have to have #1.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:27 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I mounted mine I changed two pieces of the hardware; bolt and wing nut to carriage bolt and hex nut with lock washer. I didn't tear down the front like they had in the instructions. I was able to slide the carriage bolt in from the other side and get the nut started with fingers. Then tightened with ratcheting box wrench through an existing opening. I think it worked out easier than disassembling half the front of the car.

Last edited by B y r o n; 03-19-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:33 PM
CBRXX
Racer

Originally Posted by JC6
I'm not sure I agree... Its not bad on the side! Bottomline I wish I did not have to have #1.
The front plates look horrible on most every vehicle, especially the vette. In use, the Top Flight looks the best. I bought one from Tommy with my vette, but have not installed yet.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:38 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

It's an excellent product and well made very strong. But in my case I had to return it because I have a Speedlingerie front end cover and I didn't want to have to drill into a $600.+ front end cover.
Instead I got the "Show n Go" plate with remote control and this worked out fine in my install.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Pitbull11
Racer

Originally Posted by JC6
I agree it would be nice to not have one, but it is worse looking on the side then in the middle. Also if you can have a plate cover that matches the paint it makes the front plate even less noticable. Less noticable and balanced is better then something box shaped hanging off oneside of the front of the Vette. If this was not the case the OEM frame would be mounted to the side. Spend some $$$ and get one the looks as good as a front plate can look on the Vette. I know everyone see's things differently, some people like raised white letter tires???? I like the black side showing, different strokes.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:45 PM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree it would be nice to not have one, but it is worse looking on the side then in the middle. Also if you can have a plate cover that matches the paint it makes the front plate even less noticable. Less noticable and balanced is better then something box shaped hanging off oneside of the front of the Vette. If this was not the case the OEM frame would be mounted to the side. Spend some $$$ and get one the looks as good as a front plate can look on the Vette. I know everyone see's things differently, some people like raised white letter tires???? I like the black side showing, different strokes.
Well, different strokes for different folks. I disagree. The plate mounted in the middle of the grill is butt ugly IMO. The side mount is not beautiful by any means but looks better to me!

Wish I didn't have to run one at all but yesterday I ran through a police road block (other direction being checked), took the long way back home and immediately ordered the Zip plate holder. Don't want to pay a $150 ticket for no front plate.

Last edited by turbod; 03-08-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:38 PM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by turbod
Well, different strokes for different folks. I disagree. The plate mounted in the middle of the grill is butt ugly IMO. The side mount is not beautiful by any means but looks better to me!

Wish I didn't have to run one at all but yesterday I ran through a police road block (other direction being checked), took the long way back home and immediately ordered the Zip plate holder. Don't want to pay a $150 ticket for no front plate.
The only it will on is when I go somewhere! In the middle I don't dig! I want to be the most unnotable is can be! I'm go to buy the Zip!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:52 PM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Lop-Sided, Sponge-Bob, and Worts - Why Not C5 Style

Yeah, I agree there's no good place to put a plate on the front of a C6..... off to the side is lop-sided ruining the symmetry (and I'm sure will bend when it hits my driveway), and the ones in the middle of the grill remind me of a buck-tooth like Sponge-Bob Square Pants. In the end analysis, if I'm forced to put one on, I'll probably just go with the factory location / piece (which looks like a wort). I don't understand why Chevy didn't just recess it into the front bumper piece like they did with the C5. (Maybe someday a vendor will come out with such a replacement bumper, but not likely, I know.)
Old 03-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

It looks like the product that is manufactured by Innovative Products. I met the owner of the company by chance several years ago. I have it on my C6. I am very happy with it.

Last edited by Dave Tracy; 03-09-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Insure
Instructor

Thanks for all of the responses. It looks like the WCC one is significantly cheaper than the Zip one when you figure shipping costs too and they look identical.

Get notified of new replies

To Zip GS Removable Front License Plate Mount

Old 03-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

I have the one from Zip. I love it. For me, it was the best choice.

Very easy to install.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Does the front bracket for the plate scratch the paint surface over time?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Stage Runner
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Top Flight Reproductions
Testing and technical data on airflow? Can you post test results?

Quick Reply: Zip GS Removable Front License Plate Mount