C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling - Brake Light Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:33 AM
MACowley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DidntSettle
Yeah, they replaced the brake switch on mine too, but it did not solve anything. The dealer then called the factory and they did some online diagnosis and made the call to replace the BCM. No troubles since. It was NOT under warranty and by the time it was fixed, I was in to it nearly $1K. I don't think a car with 18K (at the time) should have to have the BCM replaced. Now I wonder how long the replacement will last. Just do it and be done with it, lest you be stranded on the road calling for a tow truck....like I was.
After looking at the other thread posted above, I removed and re-plugged in the connectors on my BCM....and have not had a single issue since.....that was about a month ago.

On a side note, a friend of mine that has a 2006 Pontiac G6, got a recall notice GM Safety Recall #13036, which described the EXACT SAME issues I've been having with mine. What are the possibilities that GM is using the same BCM for these cars???

Last edited by MACowley; 09-30-2014 at 09:02 AM. Reason: insert pic
Old 10-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MACowley
After looking at the other thread posted above, I removed and re-plugged in the connectors on my BCM....and have not had a single issue since.....that was about a month ago.
MACowley (or anyone),

Where is the BCM located?

Where are the connectors? And did you disconnect the battery first, or just unplug them with the car off?

Thanks,

SD

Last edited by Silverado Desperado; 10-01-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:05 AM
MACowley
Advanced

Originally Posted by Silverado Desperado
MACowley (or anyone),

Where is the BCM located?

Where are the connectors? And did you disconnect the battery first, or just unplug them with the car off?

Thanks,

SD

On the passenger side floorboard, pull the rug back, you will see a fuse box. 2 large wire groups one on the top, and one on the right side is what I unplugged and plugged in. I think the other thread I was directed to, had a picture of it. I did it with the car off....battery connected.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:26 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

On the passenger side floorboard, pull the rug back, you will see a fuse box. 2 large wire groups one on the top, and one on the right side is what I unplugged and plugged in. I think the other thread I was directed to, had a picture of it. I did it with the car off....battery connected.
You like to live dangerously, don't you? It's a computer that is running 24/7 when it is connected to a battery. It's more rugged than a laptop but not indestructible.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:23 PM
kanvas
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a side note, a friend of mine that has a 2006 Pontiac G6, got a recall notice GM Safety Recall #13036, which described the EXACT SAME issues I've been having with mine. What are the possibilities that GM is using the same BCM for these cars???

I have been having the same issues. I had this brake light problem fixed a few years ago but it resurfaced again in the last few weeks. Lights on for no reason go off when brake pedal pressed. I was taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning.

I unplugged the BCM as suggested. Left it unplugged for a minute or so and then reconnected. After starting the car and testing the lights everything seems to be working properly.

I'll have my wife follow me to work tomorrow morning to see if the problem still exists after about 10 miles of driving. If things are OK I'll cancel the appointment.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:13 AM
VIPNiSS
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

kanvas.. any update?
Old 10-24-2014, 11:28 AM
MACowley
Advanced

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
kanvas.. any update?
Mine is still working fine......
Old 06-05-2016, 12:40 AM
Micflip
2nd Gear

I have been having the same issues with the break lights and the service AHS on my 07 with 29,000 miles on it. I have had it to the dealership 5 times. replaced the break light sensor and the steering wheel position sensor still no fix. The last time I took it in they found a broken wiring harness under the steering wheel and replaced that. The next day the problems came back. I have had the car for almost 2 years and only put 5,000 miles on it and can't enjoy the car because of these issues. and when I bought the car it was an 1 owner car with a clean car fax.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:00 AM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

The dealer replaced my BCM for about $800 and I have had no trouble since. But, as another reported in this thread, I would first try unplugging the BCM and replugging a couple of times to be sure the connection is good on all the pins. I'd be willing to bet that might have fixed mine. A computer should not fail after 29000 miles. I realize that they might but I'd try this first.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:48 PM
mile-0
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been down this road as well. Frustrating, and #13 Vette over 30 years will probably be the last! I do want to clear up some info though, are we talking the BCM ( body control module) located under the pass footwell, or the EBCM ( electronic brake control module) located in the left engine bay? Ask an early C5 owner about his EBCM and you might get punched!

My wife loves this car and uses it as her DD. She gets so wound up when it acts up, and when she is wound up, well, you know. I don't want her in an unreliable or UNSAFE car, and that's a little how I am feeling about the Vette these days.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:01 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mile-0
I have been down this road as well. Frustrating, and #13 Vette over 30 years will probably be the last! I do want to clear up some info though, are we talking the BCM ( body control module) located under the pass footwell, or the EBCM ( electronic brake control module) located in the left engine bay? Ask an early C5 owner about his EBCM and you might get punched!

My wife loves this car and uses it as her DD. She gets so wound up when it acts up, and when she is wound up, well, you know. I don't want her in an unreliable or UNSAFE car, and that's a little how I am feeling about the Vette these days.
the BCM ( body control module) located under the pass footwell
Old 09-28-2018, 09:30 PM
gandeboz
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by harlanmott3
ok, I've read about 100 threads on here covering this issue. Seems its a very generic message. However, none seem to cover mine. Here are my symptoms:

2007 c6 z51 46,000 A6
Service active handling comes on about every drive to and from work, progressively worse over the last 3 weeks.

3 instances of "press brake to start" when I was pressing the brake. Then it would end up starting when I wasn't even pressing the brake after several minutes of trying.

I've also noticed my cruise controll does not always work lately, seems this is all related. This morning I tried to use it, it wouldn't go on. About 2 minutes later the SAH message came on.

I was living with all of that, just figured I would take a deeper look when I had time, no hurry. Then tonight.. that changed!

I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the way home, SAH had already come on earlier in the drive. There was a big rig behind me, and I could see my brake lights reflecting off his bumper. The problem is, I wasn't on the bakes!! I turned off my lights, still on. I pressed on my brakes.. the light when off!! I left off the bakes and a few seconds later the lights came back on again. I had plenty of time and it seemed they came on about 3-4 seconds after I let off my brakes. Then when out as soon as I tapped on the brakes. I could almost time it. Brake lights on, press brakes.. lights out.. count to 4 mississippi .. brake lights back on. It was a huge chrome bumper and I had a very clear view of the brake lights.

On a side road on my way home I put the car in N and coasted, and turned the car off, then back on again (no brake needed). Trying to get the lights to fix so no one hit me. When I got home I got out and looked and my brake lights where still on (no one in the car touching the brakes). I had my son come out and hit the brakes and the lights when off for a second then back on again. I had him let off and they would stay on.

I called around and found a place that said they can read ABS codes, but after 30 min. of driving I couldn't get the issue again. I assume I'll get it on my way home tomorrow and I'll head directly there. However, anyone have anything in the mean time?

- I checked the brake fluid, its good.
- I do not use the telescoping wheel feature, and I don't even believe I have it.
- I had the battery tested, it tested as good. 666 amps, never noticed low volts (I have been watching).

Sorry this is so long, trying to give as much info as I can to help diagnose my issue. I was thinking maybe I should just replace the brake sensor, because things point to it. However, I'm not sure what to order or from where..
This is so obvious that its a faulty or mis adjusted brake pedal sensor/brake switch. my buddy had the same issue. Those mechanics weren't honest in what they did.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:15 AM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Hello all,

Have the same issue with SAH message and brake lights stuck ON in my 2008 base coupe. Some folks have brought up the suggestion of pulling up on the brake pedal to see if the brake lights turn off... in MY case, that fixes the issue and so long as I remember to pull up on the brake pedal after every single time brakes are applied, the brake lights stay off and I don't see the SAH message. It's kind of humorous and even a little endearing but this is by no means a good permanent solution.

I am going to try the BCM disconnect/reconnect procedure this weekend.

My question is, if my problem temporarily goes away by pulling up on the brake pedal, does this mean I'm dealing with a different problem or require a different fix?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:08 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Sorry to bump this but I have until the end of October to get my car inspected and I don't think it'll pass with a brake signal that won't turn off. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-01-2018, 04:58 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vara411
Sorry to bump this but I have until the end of October to get my car inspected and I don't think it'll pass with a brake signal that won't turn off. Anyone have any ideas?
I had to replace the BCM. But, if it happens again I’d try unplugging the BCM a couple times and see if that cured the problem, it’s under the passenger fwd floor. It just pulls down to expose it.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:32 PM
gandeboz
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DidntSettle

I had to replace the BCM. But, if it happens again I’d try unplugging the BCM a couple times and see if that cured the problem, it’s under the passenger fwd floor. It just pulls down to expose it.
honestly man the dealer ripped u off big time. u should have asked for proof of codes. those symptoms u had were all brake switch issues including you being stuck in park as the switch doesn't properly send a signal to the solenoid to release. if BCM was the problem the dealer should have seen the code and replaced it first try, but obv they wanted u to go back and pay for a bcm after a brake switch.

Last edited by gandeboz; 10-01-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:53 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Based on your description it sounds like you have an issue with either the brake pedal position sensor or the BCM. The sensor mis-adjusted or in need of calibration or may need to be replaced. If it is replaced then it needs to be calibrated. If the issue isn't the sensor then the BCM could be at fault. It is more likely something went wrong in the sensor Vs the BCM so you need to look there. If you are comfortable using a DVM and with crawling around under the dash you can probably isolate the problem to one or the other but you will need the dealer to reprogram things even if you replace items yourself.

One thing I would do is drive the car and when the problem comes up again use my foot to pull up on the brake pedal and see if the problem goes away.

Bill

Hi Bill,

If pulling up on the brake pedal makes the problem go away, what does that signify? That the brake pedal position sensor is outta whack? I tried unplugging/re-plugging the BCM as suggested above but no dice. Anything I can do in the footwell area? My Chevy dealer is always super backed up and takes forever to do even the simplest things. Any recommendations?

Last edited by vara411; 10-03-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling - Brake Light Issues

Old 10-03-2018, 11:39 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vara411
Hi Bill,

If pulling up on the brake pedal makes the problem go away, what does that signify? That the brake pedal position sensor is outta whack? I tried unplugging/re-plugging the BCM as suggested above but no dice. Anything I can do in the footwell area? My Chevy dealer is always super backed up and takes forever to do even the simplest things. Any recommendations?
Ha! I guess I answered my own question... on a hunch I just put my foot behind my brake pedal and put some slow but very firm traction, pulling the pedal towards me. BINGO, problem solved. After a full evening of volunteering to do errands for my wife (she still doesn't know), I can happily report the problem is gone! Maybe the pedal just needs some adjusting.

One gremlin down... gonna miss lifting up on the brake pedal... was getting used to it so much I did it in our other cars!
Old 06-20-2019, 02:58 PM
agalyon2985
Cruising

Default hours

3 times now I have had similar issues with my 2005 6spd. service active handling, I had no brake lights when pushing the pedal, usually you can hear the relay when you push the pedal. the 1st time I think I disconnected the battery for a while but I don't remember but brakes started working. the 2nd time I was going up north for the night which sucked cause it took me an hour to get the brake lights to work again. I unplugged and plugged back in the blue covered connectors on the BCM in the passenger floor board, disconnected and reconnected the battery which finally seemed to be the trick. 3rd and finally after the car sitting for a whole 32 hours sometimes grabbing an item from the car when I went to leave to head home the brakes no longer worked and the SAH was back. So I proceded to mess with the bcm and battery cables and this time with a little wiggle of the brake pedal the brake lights came back on. I drove up north and home 3 hours each way with the car running the whole time afraid that my brakes would not work and be stuck trying to coax the back on. so I'm leaning toward the bcm because I drove for 3 hours highway and city so I used the brakes and they worked until I stopped the car and turned it off for a period of time. I plan to hit all the connections with contact cleaner. also thinking about cleaning the ebcm connector in the engine bay. or should I be leaning toward a ebcm? turn signals work, brake lights come on when i turn head lights on, hazards work, I'm left with the fear of someone smashing into me at a stop light
Old 06-25-2019, 09:01 PM
agalyon2985
Cruising

Default some sort of solution

maybe someone can say yes this is my problem, from the passenger seat I have to turn the car on but not running, unplug the top blue bcm plug wait a few seconds and then plug it back in all while pressing the brake pedal with a 3 foot screw driver. then turn the car off and then back on for the brakes to work. basically a combination of stupid stuff. then my brake lights will work. just looking for someone to say hey you have a bcm problem as the car will have brake lights as long as I keep the car running after the games I have to play from the passenger side. once I turn it off and lock it, it completely forgets that I have a brake pedal position sensor.

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling - Brake Light Issues