C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What reasonable/theoretical time to shoot for in the Nordschleife/Nurb. lap

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Default What reasonable/theoretical time to shoot for in the Nordschleife/Nurb. lap

Well; althought not the tracker type I am seriously mulling the idea to rent some time at the Nordschleife/Nurb track to have "some" bragging rights before I return to the states.

I owe a C6 08 A6 stock optioned with NPP, F55 AND modded with edelb. E-Force benched at 591 fw.

Let alone the great official times of the ZR1 and Z06/07 times from Jim Mero (ain't happening.. ... the only reputable reference linked to a "regular" C6 I found is the below:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

Pos Make / Model Time Speed (km/h) Year Power (hp) / Weight (kg) Driven by

81. Chevrolet Corvette C6 7:59.00 155 '04 400 / 1470

Driver unknown.

So right now I am actually looking at that 7:59 time as a reasonable benchmark considering the assumption it was made by a relative pro vis a vis my wishfull skills and the fact that I have (on paper) 191 more horses and most likely the addition of new tires (the ZR1 cups if they come in my size).

So question is 7:59 a legitimate goal?

Last edited by Telepierre; 03-15-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:59 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't gotten track time before with an instructor, I think that's aggressive. Be safe first.

Do you track pads and new brake fluid?

Haven't been there, but I would be thrilled to run it in 8:00 min.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

It's a public highway. If you go on a weekend your biggest challenge may be the disparity in both the speed of the other vehicles as well as their drivers respective skill level and the sheer volume of traffic.
You can purchase a series of entrances.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It's a public highway. If you go on a weekend your biggest challenge may be the disparity in both the speed of the other vehicles as well as their drivers respective skill level and the sheer volume of traffic.
You can purchase a series of entrances.
Yeah I heard that and planning accordingly.

If you haven't gotten track time before with an instructor, I think that's aggressive. Be safe first.

Do you track pads and new brake fluid?

Haven't been there, but I would be thrilled to run it in 8:00 min.
Wise points and I am taking notes as well. I have some Karting (the serious type) experience but I am prone to think that is probably not the mind set to apply in this case..
Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Thompyt
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

8:30 - 9:00 Get to know some of the track before pushing it.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

If you break 9 minutes I'll buy you a beer
Old 03-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah..reads like I have to temper my entusiasm a bit. I shoot for the beer then..
Old 03-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm not sure about "that" 7.59 you listed BUT...in 2004 using a Pro driver (either Jim or Jan M) a C6...NOTE DAVE HILL was very specific about this...an LS2 2005 car BUT with 2006 spec suspension pieces (slight tweaks over the 05 as they could NOT break 8 min with the 2005) with the Z51 option ran the Ring - old way from a standing start- in 7.59. NOTE a pro driver who KNOWS the course.

I suggest you try for 10 minutes. Semi-Learn the course (which takes time, time, time) and then push it for 9min. Note during that same standing start testing Jan M put up the 7 42.9 (aka 7.43) in the 06 Z06...he put the car airborne and after 3 (maybe 4 laps) pulled in exhausted and said he could not do another lap. You in that kinda shape? You willing to risk a car destroying shunt? I wish you well, but under 9:30 min would be a miracle.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I would say around 10 seconds unless you are willing and experienced enough to push hard. Then you might break 9. Clarkston on Top Gear did it in less than 10 in a diesel Jag, he took many laps though. Sabine Schmidt then got around 10:15 or so in a van. I would love to go to Nurburgring just to meet her. Too bad she doesn't give BMW taxi rides any more around the Ring, that would be a blast.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
I'm not sure about "that" 7.59 you listed BUT...in 2004 using a Pro driver (either Jim or Jan M) a C6...NOTE DAVE HILL was very specific about this...an LS2 2005 car BUT with 2006 spec suspension pieces (slight tweaks over the 05 as they could NOT break 8 min with the 2005) with the Z51 option ran the Ring - old way from a standing start- in 7.59. NOTE a pro driver who KNOWS the course.

I suggest you try for 10 minutes. Semi-Learn the course (which takes time, time, time) and then push it for 9min. Note during that same standing start testing Jan M put up the 7 42.9 (aka 7.43) in the 06 Z06...he put the car airborne and after 3 (maybe 4 laps) pulled in exhausted and said he could not do another lap. You in that kinda shape? You willing to risk a car destroying shunt? I wish you well, but under 9:30 min would be a miracle.
Agreed. The Nurburgring is a very,very,demanding track with little to no runoff. It's also very narrow. I'd love to run a car around there for the fun of it,but no way I'd try for a hero run.
You'd not only have turned your car into a paper weight if you wad it up,but you'll get a bill for any/all damage caused to the track.

Lastly,the extra HP you have may do more harm than good at that track. There are very few places where the extra HP can be enjoyed,but about a gazillion turns where it could cause you to loose the rear.

Good luck,have fun....but most importantly,stay safe.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would be impressed with under 10 minutes, and that is assuming you have at least tracked the car a little before or know how to drive the car hard in the corners.

If not, definitely over 10 minutes. That is a scary track.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:09 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Raazor
If you break 9 minutes I'll buy you a beer
Exactly, but you will only enjoy it if you dont put it through a barrier.

You better forget about getting anywhere close to that stock C6 record until you have a decade of high level race experience and over 1000 laps there, even with your power advantage.

Just go to have fun, if you go there trying to set a time you are going to wad your car and ruin the day for everyone while they shut down the track and clean up your mess.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:12 AM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where in Germany do you live. I currently live in Bremen and am thinking of attending one of the upcoming track days(looking at Mar 23rd right now). I will be renting a race car when I go. From what I understand, going on anything but a track day results in having to put up with a lot of traffic.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Gents - thank you much for all the valuable and realistic inputs. Indeed you are all pointing out factors that I underestimated and ought to consider more seriously:

1. 7.59 goal is a bit unrealistic even for a "courageous" driver like me. Yes - surprise, surprise, issue here is the curves...and yes I still have an issue reading the limits of when the car/tires start to let go..

Question: I cannot buy the ZR1/07 cup tires (don't have my size) best alternative for this specific project? I am ready to buy this week.

2. Looking now at 9:30ish...if I am lucky enough to avoid traffic.

3. Hope my stock A6 tranny holds up on continuous eforce acceleration. No problems on 300Km/h HGW driving - so far...

4. Doing some Nordschleife video studying and to date this is one of the best illustration of what most of you are saying: more power does not necessarily mean faster laps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxwRgSZiKTk
Caterham R500 Vs 996 GT2 - Nurburgring battle lap2

I can see myself being the Porsche driver..

Where in Germany do you live. I currently live in Bremen and am thinking of attending one of the upcoming track days(looking at Mar 23rd right now). I will be renting a race car when I go. From what I understand, going on anything but a track day results in having to put up with a lot of traffic.
Live in Stuttgart and boy to I love showing off my C6 in Mercedes and Porsche-ville

Cannot make Mar 23 but looking at May/June time frame..
Old 03-16-2012, 10:33 AM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

That is an EXTREMELY hairy track.....the elevation changes and variable radius corners alone mean there's almost NO margin for error. Add in the lack of runoff in most places and it pretty much makes driving a car above 8/10ths suicidal for anyone who isn't an EXPERT on the layout.

Like everyone else said....I think cracking 10 minutes is going to be PLENTY of fun.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You may know a lot about The Ring but FWIW here's a great website for anyone planning on going: http://nurburgring.org.uk/

I have racing friends who've driven The Ring (in rented cars) but I've never had the pleasure (maybe one day if I'm lucky). As an avid road racer I think you're making a mistake trying to hit some magical lap time. In my experience, road racing is a skill developed over time. It takes regular, consistent seat time to become proficient driving at speed. It takes practice before you really know what you and your car are capable of. I'm no Sebastian Vettel but I track my car a lot. On a new track it can take quite-a-few sessions to figure out my lines and braking points. I start off 'slow' and safe and gradually get to where I feel comfortable pushing the envelope.

The Ring is a dangerous track....it's long, often wet and lots of traffic. Accidents are commonplace. I suggest you leave your ego and target lap time in the paddock. As a novice concentrate on the basics....not hitting a certain lap time. Run at a comfortable, safe pace and run the course often. Speed will come in time as your driving skill, knowledge of the course and comfort level increase. It's not worth killing yourself and/or totaling your car trying to hit a certain number. Be safe, learn and have fun (and watch your lap times improve over time).
Old 03-16-2012, 10:51 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JSB LS3
That is an EXTREMELY hairy track.....the elevation changes and variable radius corners alone mean there's almost NO margin for error. Add in the lack of runoff in most places and it pretty much makes driving a car above 8/10ths suicidal for anyone who isn't an EXPERT on the layout.

Like everyone else said....I think cracking 10 minutes is going to be PLENTY of fun.
And plenty impressive for a novice driver coming away without a scratch on the car.

Get notified of new replies

To What reasonable/theoretical time to shoot for in the Nordschleife/Nurb. lap

Old 03-16-2012, 11:02 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wayne O
It's not worth killing yourself and/or totaling your car trying to hit a certain number.
Exactly, thats why when I was tracking bikes frequently I moved my lap timer to a place I could not see it. That way I could only check my lap times between sessions.

I did this after wadding a Yamaha R6 on a massive high side, shattering my collarbone, fracturing my shoulder blade, my arm, cracking my illiac crest, and spraining my neck. I required 2 surgeries and a full year to fully recover. I was looking at my timer after every lap, trying to break a lap time barrier that had been in my sights for years.

If I had that accident at the Ring, with no runoff and guardrails, they would have been picking up parts and pieces of me in the woods.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:29 AM
STONEFLYE
Instructor

11 at best ..
Old 03-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Wise and mature inputs from all - Thank You!

Coming to realize the weakest link in this project is "me" when in fact I was worried about the car making it..

You may know a lot about The Ring but FWIW here's a great website for anyone planning on going: http://nurburgring.org.uk/
Great link and to the point: "Be happy to be there..."

Exactly, thats why when I was tracking bikes frequently I moved my lap timer to a place I could not see it. That way I could only check my lap times between sessions.

I did this after wadding a Yamaha R6 on a massive high side, shattering my collarbone, fracturing my shoulder blade, my arm, cracking my illiac crest, and spraining my neck. I required 2 surgeries and a full year to fully recover. I was looking at my timer after every lap, trying to break a lap time barrier that had been in my sights for years.

If I had that accident at the Ring, with no runoff and guardrails, they would have been picking up parts and pieces of me in the woods.
Noted! and glad you are with us to share this gruesome experience.

11 at best ..
5.2 seconds slower per curve on the 7.59...will see...

Quick Reply: What reasonable/theoretical time to shoot for in the Nordschleife/Nurb. lap