C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to remove white screw holders in rear license plate area

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Centex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove white screw holders in rear license plate area

I'm sorry for such a dumb question but i searched -- I just got a color matching license plate frame for the rear and its asking me to remove the white screw holders - is there some sort of trick to do this - I dont want to use a flat head to pry them off for fear of scratching the paint .. and i cant quite see how pliers would fit arount it. Feel free to poke fun but if there is another thread or some one has the answer please let me know
Old 03-16-2012, 12:03 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have to remove them to use the plate frame. But if you do, carefully pry with the screwdriver and use a cloth if you're worried about scratching the paint.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:08 PM
CO GEEZER
Intermediate

I used an old credit card. They popped off fairly easily but I did break off one of the small plastic barbed inside hooks. No big deal.. I could pop right back in if needed in the future... probably cheap to replace if you don't keep them.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:11 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Centex
I'm sorry for such a dumb question but i searched -- I just got a color matching license plate frame for the rear and its asking me to remove the white screw holders - is there some sort of trick to do this - I dont want to use a flat head to pry them off for fear of scratching the paint .. and i cant quite see how pliers would fit arount it. Feel free to poke fun but if there is another thread or some one has the answer please let me know

Out of curiosity, what are the instructions suggesting you are going to fasten your new plate and frame to, once you remove the white screw holders?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Just leave them in and use them to screw in the new frame. That's what I did.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:18 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Need to get to back side and squeeze the clip or use something to protect paint and pry out.
z51vett
Old 03-16-2012, 12:22 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As others have noted WHY the need to remove... BUT if required remove the two center tail lights (held in with a Torx T15 screw) and reach in and depress flanges to screw holders and pop out (I would not pry out from outside..could damage something. Anyway here are the retainers in question (red < ) from the inside view>>
Old 03-16-2012, 12:22 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Just leave them in and use them to screw in the new frame. That's what I did.
Funny, I bought a new rear license plate frame from WCC at Carlisle last summer and the screws provided were too small to fill the openings in those white plastic inserts. I inserted a very small plastic anchor into the hole and that worked well with the screws that came with the license plate frame.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Centex
Racer

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Out of curiosity, what are the instructions suggesting you are going to fasten your new plate and frame to, once you remove the white screw holders?
I got this one

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...Product_Viewed

and the instructions say to remove the white screw holders -- there is a metal frame that comes with it that lies beneath the whole thing and it uses two sided tape to stay in place ..
Old 03-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When mine needed replacement; I got a drill that I knew would be a little too small and ran it in, using very light pressure to avoid suddenly going too deep as it went through. Kept going up one drill size at a time until the hole was big enough that the white plastic just crumbled when I pulled on it.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:40 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I got this one

and the instructions say to remove the white screw holders -- there is a metal frame that comes with it that lies beneath the whole thing and it uses two sided tape to stay in place ..

Oh Man - that's just not right. I would not want all that affixed to my car with 2 sided tape. I frankly do not know why you would even need the backing plate? Hopefully someone with specific experience will chime in here - til then you might want to hold off on removing anything
Old 03-16-2012, 01:03 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by 2vettes
Funny, I bought a new rear license plate frame from WCC at Carlisle last summer and the screws provided were too small to fill the openings in those white plastic inserts. I inserted a very small plastic anchor into the hole and that worked well with the screws that came with the license plate frame.
Same thing happened with mine. I ended up just finding some bigger screws.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Centex
Racer

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Oh Man - that's just not right. I would not want all that affixed to my car with 2 sided tape. I frankly do not know why you would even need the backing plate? Hopefully someone with specific experience will chime in here - til then you might want to hold off on removing anything
You are too right - I just got back from Fed-ex ... I'm going to exchange it for the actual GM one

Just shows once again - you get what you pay for - I may have saved 30 dollars but look at the headache it caused ... hopefully the GM one will be much easier to install !
Old 03-16-2012, 01:33 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

You are too right - I just got back from Fed-ex ... I'm going to exchange it for the actual GM one

Just shows once again - you get what you pay for - I may have saved 30 dollars but look at the headache it caused ... hopefully the GM one will be much easier to install !
Moot point now, but you may have been able to mount it w/o the metal backing.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by EVRose
Same thing happened with mine. I ended up just finding some bigger screws.
Mine were chrome; couldn't find any in size I needed.

Get notified of new replies

To how to remove white screw holders in rear license plate area

Quick Reply: how to remove white screw holders in rear license plate area