C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wait or go now to complain about 2012 gs rear tire wear.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Default Wait or go now to complain about 2012 gs rear tire wear.

i have a 2012 gs centenial and i noticed the rear tires are starting to wear more on the outside than the inside with only 2200 miles.WTF?why is this allowed to keep going on.goning to the dealer monday.do you think i should drive it until they are really worn and try for a new rear set or go now and complain?air preasure checked all the time with a digital guage.no track days.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Good luck with getting a new set.

I do not own a GS model but there have been many threads about rear tire wear.

I sincerely doubt if you will get any help from the dealer.

Good luck anyway.

No comment on OP's grammar, other than another example.

Last edited by Boomer111; 03-18-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:21 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,301 Posts

When was your last alignment?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:21 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if the rear toe is too much.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:27 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
When was your last alignment?
done at the factory.car is a 2012 bought new by me.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Cheese 40
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would complain now. I have a gs on order and according to some threads on this subject there is a tire recall anyway. I am going to tell my salesman that I won't accept delivery of the car if it has Goodyear run flats and doesn't have an outside tire company set the camber properly. I hope chevy fixes this problem considering the amount of gs cars out there
Old 03-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Cheese 40
I am going to tell my salesman that I won't accept delivery of the car if it has Goodyear run flats and doesn't have an outside tire company set the camber properly.
I guess you won't be getting a Corvette then.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by lordofwar
i have a 2012 gs centenial and i noticed the rear tires are starting to wear more on the outside than the inside with only 2200 miles.WTF?why is this allowed to keep going on.goning to the dealer monday.do you think i should drive it until they are really worn and try for a new rear set or go now and complain?air preasure checked all the time with a digital guage.no track days.
You NOTICED the problem...you are on notice. Further wear is YOUR FAULT AND YOUR PROBLEM. Go to the dealer NOW. Report and DOCUMENT the problem now. Have alignment adjusted now.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alignments are usually covered for the first year and 5000 or 7500 miles. As soon as you notice uneven wear it's time to take it in and let them try to fix it.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:18 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The GS gets you noticed more than a narrow body would right?

So wasn't that the whole point in buying it?

You wanted super wide tires for the "look". Well, tires that are way way way too wide come at a price. That price is, among other things including road noise, rapid wear.

I'm expecting the C7 will have two front tires just a bit wider than at present the for the real "wide" look the rear will just have a single "roller". Many C6 owners will be hot to retrofit their cars so they can have the new hot "roller" too. Why have two really wide tires when you could have ONE super wide tire instead.

You bought it enjoy it. The narrow body coupe is far and away a better can than the "just for looks" GS.

just my opinion
Old 03-19-2012, 01:20 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by OregonC6

You wanted super wide tires for the "look". Well, tires that are way way way too wide come at a price. That price is, among other things including road noise, rapid wear.

I'm expecting the C7 will have two front tires just a bit wider than at present the for the real "wide" look the rear will just have a single "roller". Many C6 owners will be hot to retrofit their cars so they can have the new hot "roller" too. Why have two really wide tires when you could have ONE super wide tire instead.

You bought it enjoy it. The narrow body coupe is far and away a better can than the "just for looks" GS.

just my opinion
AND this is related to alignment how??????????????
Old 03-19-2012, 01:36 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Are these the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2 RunOnFlats?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:37 AM
z28punk
Advanced

go in now. if u wait until they are completely worn off they will probably think you are just too cheap to buy new tires yourself. it also shows them the tires werent worn from you beating the crap out of the car.

I work at a chevy dealer. my dealer is more lenient than most when it comes to things like this, but I know others can be pretty stingy when it comes to warranty. just giving some tips. good luck. make sure to get the alignment checked when u bring it in.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:41 AM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

I had the same problem on my 2011 GS, only it was the insides at 750 miles. I took the Pfadt street alignment specs to the selling dealer and they aligned it using those specs.

Don't wait.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:18 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by OregonC6

just my opinion
OregonC6, I can leave this site for weeks, come back, and you are still spilling your swill...

OP, you have a problem with that much wear with those miles. Yes, the GS tires are softer, and won't last as long as OregonC6's base Corvette, but 2200 miles is extreme.

My 2010 GS tires gave up the ghost around 11k miles. Like yours, the rears where much worse than the fronts. Had an alignment done with my new Michelin's. After 7k miles on the new Michelin's, they are no way near the wear on the original GY's at the same mileage.

Your alignment may be way out of whack, or some other issue that should be covered under warranty. So don't wait to find out. Take it in. And forget OregonC6's BS. The GS is a great car.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:00 AM
djmano
Instructor

Location: Intersection of Eau Rogue, Flugplatz and Loews Hairpin

am i the only GS owner alarmed that every 3rd post on the board is about GS tire wear/alignment specs?
Old 03-19-2012, 03:15 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by djmano
am i the only GS owner alarmed that every 3rd post on the board is about GS tire wear/alignment specs?

Good Gawd No - you're just the only one who lives at the Intersection of Eau Rogue, Flugplatz and Loews Hairpin

Get notified of new replies

To Wait or go now to complain about 2012 gs rear tire wear.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:01 AM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by djmano
I wouldn't use the word alarmed. As others have posted elsewhere, the GS is set up in such a way, even with a factory alignment, to maximize handling with little regard for tire longevity. I suspect that others of the "performance" models (Z51, ZO6, ZR1) have similar issues with treadwear. The GYs don't help in this department.

I decided to sacrifice handling at the extreme and sharp turn in for a more "wear friendly" alignment. We'll see if that helps tire wear.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:45 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

I have a regular body coupe and at less than 1k miles my front tires were starting to feather on the outside edges. I took it in last week and got it aligned under warranty.They did a four wheel alignment and said front caster, rear toe, and front camber all in need of adjustment. With the problems I am having with my car and some of the posts on the forum lately, it seems like the BG plant has some real issues with quality control. I guess when you spend 50k plus you shouldn't expect a quality built car, at least that's the impression I'm getting from GM and my dealer.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

It's a fact of life IMO that us GS owners are lucky to get 2 summers out of a set of tires regardless of your alignment specs. Mine happened to be out when I complained at 8000 miles dealer put on 4 new GY free!! Im already saving for my next set switching to the Bridgestone RF.

Quick Reply: Wait or go now to complain about 2012 gs rear tire wear.