C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Brake Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:13 AM
Indy-V
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default AC Delco Ceramic Pads Squeal

I just changed mine to AC Delco Ceramic pads. Removed them after a couple hundred miles due to the excessive squealing. I'm not a fan of Auto Zone, but the DuraLast Gold Ceramic pads are silent and work great. Front and rear pads were under $100 total.
(Don't forget the 10% discount if your a veteran.)
Old 07-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Cuckoo
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

My turn ! Old thread alert.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:37 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

5 year old thread but the answers are still the same. I prefer Carbotech.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:39 PM
Aubinaustin
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to the group, be gentle! Seriously - Brake Pads

Drove my C6 GS at COTA (Austin F1 Track) this past weekend - like I stole it! I have been a driving instructor for 14 years, club racing for 6 so have a little experience about driving hard. Anyway my C6 did phenomenal after I got dialed in, LOVE the car! Ate the pads though and need some serious brakes to use on the street and track. Please help!

Used Pagid orange on my Porsche, no fade but squeal like a pig shot in the *** on the street! Still want to enjoy my drives but need pads that will last, please send recommendations!
Also - looking for a set of 18" wheels for my 2016 GS, to be used as track wheels - don't need to be in perfect shape - just not dented or bent, text me.
Thank you all in advance!

FYI have a 2021 C8 deposit down - on the list as soon as they announce the flat plane Z06 - yowza...
Old 03-21-2020, 10:43 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

How many track days do you do? If you don't mind noise on the street I would recommend the Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 rear. This combo works very well on track and can safely be driven on the street.

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 03-21-2020 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Aubinaustin (03-24-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 12:16 PM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by JW Motorsports
I prefer the HPS, but they do dust a bit. It's less than OEM pads though
Originally Posted by shelleygraham
There is very little brake dust . I wish I changed them sooner as the OEM had tons and tons of brake dust !!!
Did not know this, interesting!
Old 08-01-2020, 07:53 PM
johndaub
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since I don't do any of my own work, I rely on my Chevy dealerships. My front brakes lasted for 29K miles before I had them replaced. The dealership said that they were putting on "OEM GM high performance pads". These lasted only 10K miles before the inner front right pad had gouged into the rotor. I know the dealership will want to put on either GM or AC Delco pads so am concerned about getting pads that wear out after only 10K compared with the original factory pads at 30K. The only change I made was switching to DOT 4 fluid but can't imagine that would reduce the pad life by 66%. What do people suggest other than doing my own brake job. Thank you for your help.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:24 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 268 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
Your shop is not very informed. There are many options based on your needs.

AC Delco's work, cost is a lot less, but are far from the best.

Ceramic pads will give you the least amount of dust and noise. However they are not designed to be utilize beyond the street.

One of the best (you did say best) ceramic pad is Carbotech Bobcat 1521. I seldom endorse any products, but I am VERY impressed with the 1521's ability to stop (for a ceramic pad), little to no noise (only noise is when they are cold which is easily remidied by one hard press on the brake pedal) and the little amount of brake dust they produce.

If you want a racing pad and want "the best" I'd look at a Ferodo, Carbotech, Porterfield, Carbone-Lorraine etc.
I second Carbotech 1521's being the absolute best for street. They are worth every penny you spend on them and and on mine they still have 50 percent pad left after 41k miles. The ones that are talking about Hawks as such , they are cheap. And built so you asked for best. It would take too long to list all the good things about 1521's. Do your research.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:31 PM
johndaub
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So maybe I should provide more information since I am doing more track than I used to:
First OEM pads lasted 29K which included 5 hours of track time.
Second OEM pads lasted 10K which included 12 hours of track time.
So to be fair, the life of each set of pads perhaps were similar if you assume that 1 hour of track time is equivalent to 2000 miles of street for brake wear? I.E. would be the equivalent of 35-40K of street in both cases. And my track experience level should have increased my brake wear.

Quick Reply: Best Brake Pads?