C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa Top rattle (2011 GrandSport)

Old 03-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Bob Hawthorne
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa Top rattle (2011 GrandSport)

I'm sure there are a bunch of threads on this, but this one may be different..

First of all I'm a tech at a top tier dealer (Buick GMC Cad). We often don't see much of this hince we aren't a Chevy Dealer.

I've been working with a 2011 Corvette Grand Sport, the targa top is creaking and rattling like a S.O.B. The latches are the current updated latches. The top is the most current also.

We have 2 TSB's out for this vehicle, one for cleaning weathestripping and lubing them with a silicone grease (looks horrid) and performing a numerous amount of adjustments to properly fit the vehicle. There is also another one for the targa top coming apart, but the vehicle does not fall under the vin breakpoint.

I've done the 14pg bulletin (#08-08-67-013G). The vehicle is equipped with the CC3 roof (Targa Top). I've also been on the phone with technical assist numerous times trying to fix this issue, but coming up with the same results.

So far I've adjust the rear and front 2 latches to relieve tension from the top, cleaned the weather strip seals and lubed them, adjusted the roof again (tighter) which worsened the situation, lubed the rear pins, lubed the front latches, pretty much shaken the whole top down.

I've tried to get a new top from GM, but they are refusing due to the fact they think it is something else. They won't listen and its very very
fustrating for me and the repeat visits for the customer. Has anyone here had a targa top rattle on a 2011-2012 vette with all of the updated parts? I'm at my last road with this vehicle and I do not want to let this customer down, not to mention the last 4hrs I've been tempering with it I haven't made a dime. Thanks in advance.

and.. hello by the way!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

hello
Old 03-20-2012, 06:39 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Hello. :

This is an old thread so doesn't exactly apply to the newer cars but there might be some info in it that would help. Good luck.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...long-post.html
Old 03-20-2012, 06:43 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of chevy.... where life just isnt complete without creeks rattles and problems...
Old 03-20-2012, 06:52 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklync5
Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of chevy.... where life just isnt complete without creeks rattles and problems...
Never had creaks or rattles in my fixed roof C6 vettes. I wish they'd ditch the targa and offer only fixed roof coupes and ragtops. The perceived quality of the brand would instantly go up, as it appears they can't engineer a quiet targa.

OP, I think your stuck with the enumerated adjustments and GM Super Lube in copious quantities.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Bob Hawthorne
Cruising

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Never had creaks or rattles in my fixed roof C6 vettes. I wish they'd ditch the targa and offer only fixed roof coupes and ragtops. The perceived quality of the brand would instantly go up, as it appears they can't engineer a quiet targa.

OP, I think your stuck with the enumerated adjustments and GM Super Lube in copious quantities.
Unfortunately, GM has told me this and left me out on my own limb in a way. They told me "if the silicone grease fixes the noise, get a couple bottles for the customer and call it a day. In lamest terms.. I put the grease on it and 90% of it went away, but that is not good enough for me or the customer. The car has been here since friday on its 3rd visit and buyback could verywell be in the future on this car. As a GM technician, I am very disappointed of the quality of this top. I understand there is going to be some noise because its "not" part of the vehicle, but not a noise where it sounds like the material of the top is going to crack.

I just read that article and its a great read, I'll print it off for the customer. I still think he's not going to buy it though. If I was him and I spent the kind of money on a vette like he's got I'd be very disappointed.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 PM
ptaylor_9849
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BOB, check out this thread. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ed-simple.html
Old 03-20-2012, 08:03 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849

Do Read This !!!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:10 PM
TonyFaub
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had 3 tops and none rattled. It could only be 1 of two things I think, hard parts touching other hard parts without enough clearance, insulation or lube. I agree, insulate, lube as needed and if a problem spot can be found maybe a careful dremel with grinding bit. The second possibility is bond separation and it doesn't matter if the car VIN fits a recall or not, they are all bonded and can all come apart especially if too tight or there is interference. I'm no expert but I have owned a couple of topless cars in my time. No one should have to slap gobs of goop on to quiet things down, I just use a little chapstick and/or 303 protectant and drive it.

Good luck, it's good to see the power of collaboration here.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,243 Likes on 704 Posts

Bob,

I applaud you for taking the time to come on the forum and try to find the answers for your customer. Definitely above and beyond the call of duty. You are demonstrating excellent customer service, something GM is not known for. You could teach the brass at GM a thing or two.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Velocita
Advanced

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Bob,

I applaud you for taking the time to come on the forum and try to find the answers for your customer. Definitely above and beyond the call of duty. You are demonstrating excellent customer service, something GM is not known for. You could teach the brass at GM a thing or two.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Bob Hawthorne
Cruising

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
I'm going to try this tommrow, one thing I haven't done. Fantastic! Does it only work with the rattle or is it with body flex top creaking? The main concern is parking lot manuvers in this senario and slower speeds. There is creaking/popping around 55mph crusing on main roads also.

I'm still going to try it regardless. Does it work with the updated latches?

Originally Posted by TonyFaub
I've had 3 tops and none rattled. It could only be 1 of two things I think, hard parts touching other hard parts without enough clearance, insulation or lube. I agree, insulate, lube as needed and if a problem spot can be found maybe a careful dremel with grinding bit. The second possibility is bond separation and it doesn't matter if the car VIN fits a recall or not, they are all bonded and can all come apart especially if too tight or there is interference. I'm no expert but I have owned a couple of topless cars in my time. No one should have to slap gobs of goop on to quiet things down, I just use a little chapstick and/or 303 protectant and drive it.
I totally agree with you here, but when it comes to warranty we have to prove that the adhesive is failing. I've already tried to look for some type of failure on the panel, but it looks tight. Also, the bulletin's for a vin breakpoint with only CERTAIN targa top types. This targa is the most current one so GM is being strict with it. I was also thinking about getting our district rep involved to get a top, just for customer satisfaction to know "hey we replaced your top aswell as doing everything else, just because your a valued customer and we are doing as much as we can." Even if it doesn't completely fix it. Thats what we strive to do at our dealer, sometimes its hard for customer perception though... We are doing as much as we can to make it right. The last thing I want to do is ship this thing as a "normal condition."

Anyways, I'm going to try that o-ring trick. Pretty slick if you ask me!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Bob Hawthorne
Cruising

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Bob,

Well thanks! I appricate that.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 PM
jversluis
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

my 09 had a creaky roof. lubed the front metal area that the latches meet with. Get the silcone off the weather strip and clean it and then apply armor all. It worked wonders. I now have a 2011 with no issues. Note, i have the glass roof, which may be easier to deal with compared to painted.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Bob-

We appreciate your concern, thanks!

We had similar problems with our 2009 targa. The solutions involved:

Front latches adjusted a little tighter, they take "firm" pressure to latch.
Rear latch adjusted a little tighter, it takes "moderate" pressure to latch.
Both door strikes were slightly loose, it sounded like a top rattle but strikes needed to be replaced.
The dielectric silicone grease was not enough for the weatherstrip and the latches, dealer tech used Superlube paste on everything (especially all metal to metal contact, latches and pins) and that was the final step.

Good luck, it can be done!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Bob Hawthorne
Cruising

Originally Posted by jversluis
my 09 had a creaky roof. lubed the front metal area that the latches meet with. Get the silcone off the weather strip and clean it and then apply armor all. It worked wonders. I now have a 2011 with no issues. Note, i have the glass roof, which may be easier to deal with compared to painted.
See, the tac engineer I spoke with said that armor all is the worst thing you can put on the seal. It causes etching noises at the seal, only with the targa though. It also states that in the bulletin also. The customers seals were dirty to begin with I cleaned them and it took care of alot of that noise, but it really shined the crackling and popping noises so I think there are two issues for sure.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:37 PM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 213 Posts

Before you order a top why not swap the top with another vehicles top for some test drives and eliminate the customers very own defective top.

Mine creaks at times, mainly due to the wild temps swings we are having during the day right now (40° swings) during which I loosen the front latches and lift the top up and relatch them and it solves it for that time.

I agree though, cant belive GM is having such issues with these tops. In some ways I should of held out with my wife and get the Z06 so I would not have to worry about the targa top.

Get notified of new replies

To Targa Top rattle (2011 GrandSport)

Old 03-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Bob Hawthorne
Cruising

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Bob-

We appreciate your concern, thanks!

We had similar problems with our 2009 targa. The solutions involved:

Front latches adjusted a little tighter, they take "firm" pressure to latch.
Rear latch adjusted a little tighter, it takes "moderate" pressure to latch.
Both door strikes were slightly loose, it sounded like a top rattle but strikes needed to be replaced.
The dielectric silicone grease was not enough for the weatherstrip and the latches, dealer tech used Superlube paste on everything (especially all metal to metal contact, latches and pins) and that was the final step.

Good luck, it can be done!
I have a bottle of that paste, I'll give it a shot.

When I adjusted the latches downward, the noise intensified. The rear j-hook latch is perfect (feels right and the gap between the body and the top is 7mm, which is a spec from GM.) When I relieved tension from the front latches the noise lessened.

I already checked the door strikers .

I really appricate all the feedback here. To be honest I thought that I was going to be thrown out to the dogs hahaha. I know how the typical tech can be. I've worked with them in the past. I work with a pretty darn good driveability group!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Hawthorne
I'm going to try this tommrow, one thing I haven't done. Fantastic! Does it only work with the rattle or is it with body flex top creaking? The main concern is parking lot manuvers in this senario and slower speeds. There is creaking/popping around 55mph crusing on main roads also.

I'm still going to try it regardless. Does it work with the updated latches?
I started that thread and was going to point it out to you and p taylor beat me to it.
I did that fix for rattle only. I never had any creaking but body flex was still what was causing the rattle. The pins were rattling back and forth in the holes. The extra O rings gives it a better seal. It's been a while since I did that and still noise free top. I don't think it matters which latch you have for this to work.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Bob Hawthorne
Cruising

Originally Posted by TJay74
Before you order a top why not swap the top with another vehicles top for some test drives and eliminate the customers very own defective top.

Mine creaks at times, mainly due to the wild temps swings we are having during the day right now (40° swings) during which I loosen the front latches and lift the top up and relatch them and it solves it for that time.

I agree though, cant belive GM is having such issues with these tops. In some ways I should of held out with my wife and get the Z06 so I would not have to worry about the targa top.
I'd swap a top, but this is the only corvette on our lot. So it does make things a bit more difficult. I'd love to have one magically come in though.

The fact that temp does play a role in this is GM's fault and was not thought out. Not everybody drives their vette only in the summer. This guy ocasionally takes his out on a 32deg or colder day. If the roads are clear and its sunny it goes out.. Makes it hard, but I think I'll lecture the guy for coming in for a seasonal adjustment .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Targa Top rattle (2011 GrandSport)