C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank sending unit question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:58 PM
djdinoe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Have you tried a fuel system cleaner?

I have tried about 5 bottles of Techron and even Sea foam. Nothing has remedy it.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Tony1leo
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Have you tried a fuel system cleaner?

I tried several cleaners and none worked for me. I had a slighlty different problem with my sensor. Most posts state that the circuit board becomes turnished from the sulfur in the gas and blocks sending the info to the computer. On my sensor, the brushes that make contact with the circuit board wore down to the point they did not touch the curcuit board. Either way, the fuel level sensor failed.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 PM
fathead533
Heel & Toe

i have mine down now. I am replacing both sending units since i have the rear end out. is there a way to check to make sure it works properly before i put it all back together?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Tony1leo
Advanced

Originally Posted by fathead533
i have mine down now. I am replacing both sending units since i have the rear end out. is there a way to check to make sure it works properly before i put it all back together?
Not that I know of. The hoses and wires are not long enough to test with the tanks out of the enclosure. Just make sure everything goes back together correctly and pray.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 PM
fathead533
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Tony1leo
Not that I know of. The hoses and wires are not long enough to test with the tanks out of the enclosure. Just make sure everything goes back together correctly and pray.
Thanks tony
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by fathead533
Yes there is.

First, a brief note: the level senders on early C6s go from ~40 ohms (empty) to ~250 ohms (full). Sometime around MY2007, GM reversed this relationship so a dirty sender would cause the the fuel gauge to err on the side of empty rather than full.

Verify that you've got the right senders for your car by testing the output of one of the old senders. Check resistance with the float all the way down and all the way up.

Now check the resistance of the sender installed in the tank. With the tank right side up, it should read empty. Flip it over. It should read full. If it reads somewhere in between, the float is stuck on something.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:21 PM
idaband
Racer

anyone have the part numbers if the cleaner doesn't work?

also do i have to drain the tanks if i drop them?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Tony1leo
Advanced

I got the units from autopartswarehouse.com for $77 each. I think they are about $150 at the dealer. ACSK1227 & ACSK1228.
I ran the car as empty as I could based on how many miles are usually get to a tank. The right tank will be empty because it drains first. If you only have a couple of gallons left in the left tank, you can drain it after you drop it. It's not heavy unless it's full. Tony
Old 11-11-2013, 06:24 PM
deekaybee
5th Gear

Default Part numbers

Originally Posted by Rogers 07
That video was great, Taking the tank out would have been difficult if not impossible with out it. The sending unit in question was indeed covered with what ever it is that builds up on the contacts. I replaced the entire pump and sending unit assembly while I had it out. FYI, the Vette has 91,826 miles on it, so looking at it like that, assuming an average of 22.5 MPG (Which is what my car averages !!) The tanks have seen about 4080 gallons of fuel go thru them !!. Still it sucks that a sending unit would last about 5 years or so and cause that kind of a problem !!! Anyway, Thanks again. Roger.
Can you tell me the part numbers. Eckler was asking over $800 for the pump and I can't seem to find fuel sending units
Old 11-11-2013, 06:29 PM
deekaybee
5th Gear

Can anybody tell me the part numbers. Eckler was asking over $800 for the pump and I can't seem to find fuel sending units. I'd like to do like Rogers and replace everything he did while I have to tanks down.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Tony1leo
Advanced

Originally Posted by deekaybee
Can you tell me the part numbers. Eckler was asking over $800 for the pump and I can't seem to find fuel sending units
I got the units from autopartswarehouse.com for $77 each and yes they were GM original parts. They are about $150 at the dealer. ACSK1227 & ACSK1228. I did not replace my fuel pump, but they have a fuel pump for $383 which includes the sending unit. Can't vouch for it since I did not replace my pump.
Airtex E3579M Fuel Pump - Direct fit
Part #: AFE3579M | Mfr #: E3579M
Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 PM
idaband
Racer

old post I know...BUT...

just curious...did they fix the problem....or is this randomly going to happen again another 30k miles down the road?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Tony1leo
Advanced

Originally Posted by idaband
old post I know...BUT...

just curious...did they fix the problem....or is this randomly going to happen again another 30k miles down the road?
I haven't had any problems since I fixed it. I believe it's just the luck of the draw since there haven't been a lot of people complaining about the problem. GM claims it's a problem with the fuel. They have a bulletin out that recommends using a bottle (their version) of chevron techron concentrate plus. It's an higher grade of techron that's designed to clean the fuel level sensors in gm cars. They recommend a bottle a every oil change.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,828 Likes on 1,968 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

When I fill my 10 GS up all the way the fuel guage stops working and all the bells and whistles go off. I drive it a bit and all back to normal and everything works. I have learned how to fill it so I am just short of sending the guage haywire. I just put up with it and have tried to beat up Chevy since it started this just out of 3/36. Fuel system is not covered in the 5/100 drivetrane warranty starting in 2010.

Chevy said they would give me some help but I don't really want to tear the car apart now. As I have said many times the fuel systems on these cars are stupid. Is the C7 the same way?
Old 05-20-2014, 08:28 PM
Tony1leo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tony1leo
I haven't had any problems since I fixed it. I believe it's just the luck of the draw since there haven't been a lot of people complaining about the problem. GM claims it's a problem with the fuel. They have a bulletin out that recommends using a bottle (their version) of chevron techron concentrate plus. It's an higher grade of techron that's designed to clean the fuel level sensors in gm cars. They recommend a bottle a every oil change.
I have heard someone state that if you fill it until the gas flow cuts off, and then you top it off some more, it will cause the fuel level sensor to go off track. But this is a different problem than when the fuel sensor stops working all together due to corrosion on the senser circuit.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:00 PM
taxmannv
3rd Gear

Default Overhead access to crossover pipe

The difficulty for this repair is accessing and unclipping the crossover pipe and the tubes inside. My 2005 c6 manual shift has 120,000 miles and I couldn't apply enough force to get to the inside tubes. In frustration, I went for an overhead access. The crossover pipe is located in the raised square tube affair that separates the seats from the cargo area. I pulled the carpet up and cut a one foot side-to-side slit at the very top of this square tube over where I knew the crossover pipe ended. I cut it with a auto body saw (cost me $27 new) and made sure I didn't go deep with the saw strokes. I could see the crossover pipe and the evap line through this slit as I was cutting, so it was easy to avoid them. I then cut slits 6 inches down, on both ends of the 12 incher and on both the bucket seat side and the cargo side. I then pried open my access port with a locking plier.

Suddenly the job was super easy. I could see everything and access everything. Unclipping the two inside tubes took less than 5 minutes. I had previously spent over 2 hours to no good trying to get these unclipped and the evap unclipped. Putting stuff back was even easier. I then bent the auto body metal back to original position and sealed up all the slits with a heavy duty metallic tape used in duct work, and reset the carpet.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:39 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I would suggest starting a new thread with this info, rather than adding to a three year old one. Lots of people will only read the first post and start offering the guy some advice three years later. You have good info here...good for more people to see it. Also a couple of pics would be really helpful.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:42 PM
Tony1leo
Advanced

Originally Posted by taxmannv
The difficulty for this repair is accessing and unclipping the crossover pipe and the tubes inside. My 2005 c6 manual shift has 120,000 miles and I couldn't apply enough force to get to the inside tubes. In frustration, I went for an overhead access. The crossover pipe is located in the raised square tube affair that separates the seats from the cargo area. I pulled the carpet up and cut a one foot side-to-side slit at the very top of this square tube over where I knew the crossover pipe ended. I cut it with a auto body saw (cost me $27 new) and made sure I didn't go deep with the saw strokes. I could see the crossover pipe and the evap line through this slit as I was cutting, so it was easy to avoid them. I then cut slits 6 inches down, on both ends of the 12 incher and on both the bucket seat side and the cargo side. I then pried open my access port with a locking plier.

Suddenly the job was super easy. I could see everything and access everything. Unclipping the two inside tubes took less than 5 minutes. I had previously spent over 2 hours to no good trying to get these unclipped and the evap unclipped. Putting stuff back was even easier. I then bent the auto body metal back to original position and sealed up all the slits with a heavy duty metallic tape used in duct work, and reset the carpet.
I actually thought about cutting into the back if I couldn't get the crossover tub back together. I had no problem disconnecting with the automatic/dual clutch trans. My big problem was connecting the crossover back together without being able to see what I was doing. But I got lucky.
Good info however for the next person that needs to do it.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank sending unit question