C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Initial Reaction to Continental ExtremeContact DW Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:55 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Initial Reaction to Continental ExtremeContact DW Tires (*UPDATED*)

So today I had the Continental ExtremeContact DW tires mounted on the '06 and spent some time during lunch driving around on them. Granted I realize this isn't an indication of them long term but just giving my initial reaction and thoughts.

Previously I had a set of Kumho Escta SPT tires, and they did their job, but I felt they didn't wear very well. I never really had too many qualms about their performance, until they started to wear the drop off seemed pretty steep.

So I felt I wanted something different, but I still wanted a balance of performance and tread life. Decided to stick with summer tires since I live near Raleigh, NC and 9 months out of the year it's above 45 and in the winter anytime it is colder, it rarely snows if at all.

My first reaction is to the overall appearance (sorry will have to add pics later after work). These tires are not directional, so they don't have the angled tread on them...they look a bit more traditional, but still somewhat aggressive, just more refined. The sidewall is also much more curved than the Kumho's, which were pretty straight up/flat rather than having much roundness to them.

So after driving about 5 minutes, I quickly realized these tires are much more comfortable going down the road than either the stock run-flats or the Kumhos. I drove on side roads up to 45mph as well as the highway up to 70mph. I did some quick side to side movements to get a feel for their responsiveness and as others have noted they do feel a bit softer than others. I don't know that I'd go so far as to say they float or feel like jello as some have...but this is my daily driver, I'm not a racer and I don't track or drive public roads like I'm in Germany. But they did seem to feel a bit different. The same slight movements didn't quite feel like instant changes in direction, but I didn't feel like there was any loss in traction. In fact I think they seem to feel a good bit more connected to the road, but the softer sidewall accounts for some of the more fluid feeling to them.

This also accounts for why they feel more comfortable on the road, which is probably something I'd prefer in the long run over the more responsive/track performance type feel of something more rigid. Went over a few speed bumps and some other types of bumps in roads that seemed to make the car jolt when on the Kumhos. The Contis didn't feel as affected by these types of things in the road, and while I still felt the bump, the car didn't seem to absorb as much of the impact itself. The tires and suspension did.

As far as noise goes, I always drive with the stereo on and the windows down if it's warm so I don't really pay much attention to that. No complaints and no real means to compare anything here since I don't normally notice that.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase so far. I hope I can get some decent tread life out of these tires, and I have a good feeling of their dry road performance combined with their comfort. It remains to be seen how they feel in wet or colder conditions, but for less than $1000 I'm pleased. If they hold up longer than the Kumhos, I'll be happy.

***UPDATE***

So having driven on these tires a bit more, and now also in heavy rain, I have to say these tires are great, and perform wonderfully. I don't really notice too much of the softness everyone mentions. I don't really drive it too hard, and I may notice a slight softer turn in, but it's not enough to take away from the pluses. These tires feel well connected to the road and even in a strong downpour, I felt as confident as driving on dry pavement.

Time will still tell how they hold up over time, but I'm much happier with these than the stocks or the Kumhos at this point.

Last edited by ShockwaveGT; 03-26-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:14 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

I had a set of these on a MB SL500. They were the summer tire with a tread wear rating of 340. They only lasted 10,000 miles under easy driving. I replaced them with the same tire but all season. Tread wear rating 540. Should get around 40,000 miles with these. Easy driving.

Both tires quiet and comfortable. Better than The OE Michelin
Old 03-21-2012, 01:26 PM
BAMAGOLFER
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'10-'11

Default The DWS tire

Did you consider the DWS tire that has the 540 rating?
I'm looking at new tires and the DWS's are about $100 cheaper with very similar ratings.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I GOT DWS!!! AWESOME TIRE! Don't need the "S" as I live in Houston...

but for the treadwear... it is fantastic!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

I considered the DWS, but with the extra treadware comes more of a tradeoff of the performance and feel. They were also heavier.

So I wanted something more in the middle of performance and life...so felt the DW was a good balance.

If these wear out super fast, maybe I'll go for the DWS or something all together different...by then the new BFG tires will be available, so probably those.

since these aren't directional...do you guys rotate these tires? Fronts side to side and rears side to side?

Last edited by ShockwaveGT; 03-21-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:02 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm having a set of DW's installed later this afternoon
After months of research I decided to go with a tire that has a reputation for a very comfortable & quite ride, without giving up too much in ultimate traction.

FYI - Continental has temporarily halted manufacturing of certain sizes of the DW in order to increase the load rating. This includes the 245-40-18, which is base coupe front tire size. Tire Rack told me that they are increasing the reinforcement in the side wall. This may be due to the common complaint about these tires being soft in turn-in, and lacking steering feel. I emailed Continental & they told me that they will start manufacturing the new tire, in the 245-40-18 size, at the end of April, and to allow 4-6 weeks for them to make their way to the vendors.

I need new tires now, and I decided not to wait.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:10 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Originally Posted by car2fast4you
I'm having a set of DW's installed later this afternoon
After months of research I decided to go with a tire that has a reputation for a very comfortable & quite ride, without giving up too much in ultimate traction.

FYI - Continental has temporarily halted manufacturing of certain sizes of the DW in order to increase the load rating. This includes the 245-40-18, which is base coupe front tire size. Tire Rack told me that they are increasing the reinforcement in the side wall. This may be due to the common complaint about these tires being soft in turn-in, and lacking steering feel. I emailed Continental & they told me that they will start manufacturing the new tire, in the 245-40-18 size, at the end of April, and to allow 4-6 weeks for them to make their way to the vendors.

I need new tires now, and I decided not to wait.
Interesting. But that sounds like it will just end up heavier and probably have less tread life as a result of those things. So ya, that would shift it more to the performance side of things.

I also needed new tires or I might have waited for BFG to make their new Comp something or others in the rear size.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 AM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

So having driven on these tires a bit more, and now also in heavy rain, I have to say these tires are great, and perform wonderfully. I don't really notice too much of the softness everyone mentions. I don't really drive it too hard, and I may notice a slight softer turn in, but it's not enough to take away from the pluses. These tires feel well connected to the road and even in a strong downpour, I felt as confident as driving on dry pavement.

Time will still tell how they hold up over time, but I'm much happier with these than the stocks or the Kumhos at this point.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:41 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by BAMAGOLFER
Did you consider the DWS tire that has the 540 rating?
I'm looking at new tires and the DWS's are about $100 cheaper with very similar ratings.
The DWS tires are very sloppy in the corners. I hated the way the 245/40/18s felt on my GTO. I could shove the car and watch the wheel move around on the sidewall.

Get notified of new replies

To Initial Reaction to Continental ExtremeContact DW Tires

Quick Reply: Initial Reaction to Continental ExtremeContact DW Tires