C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double faced tape for front plate bracket

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:16 PM
ecarbone
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Double faced tape for front plate bracket

Got my 12 GS last September and had the GM painted front plate bracket put on by the dealer. By the time winter set in it was sagging so this spring I pulled it off before I lost it. I reside in NY and a front plate is required. While i'm not crazy about wanting it on the car the GM painted one isn't horrible looking so to avoid hassle from LE I want to put it back on. The tape they used was black in color and kind of "rubbery". Where can I by the wide double faced tape that won't fall off. Local auto parts stores only carry the narrow (1/2, 3/4) size. I need some about 1 1/2" and it has to be real strong.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:31 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Loewes or Home depot maybe??As an alternative, There is a front plate bracket for around 45 bucks that you can mount under the front fascia and pull up as needed.No Corvette tax,15 minute install.Beats the hell out of that 150 removable thing out there.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

If you feel you have to mount the front plate at least spend a few bucks and get the one from Topflight. The GM version looks terrible.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:38 PM
wysiwyg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvilin
If you feel you have to mount the front plate at least spend a few bucks and get the one from Topflight. The GM version looks terrible.

It was the first mod I did although I no longer run a front plate.
The car does not look right with a front plate installed.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 PM
JK C6
Advanced

I used 3M Trim Adhesive in a tube. Apply it liberally to three areas on plate frame, press frame to vehicle for about 30 seconds, pull away for 30 seconds and then press frame onto car. You'll have to find a way to hold frame there for about 12 hours. I used wood pressed between garage door and plate. Tape won't work and wait until it's 70 degrees out. Put a level on top of frame when finished. I know how important that is.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:55 PM
BLU JET 07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best alternative would be to get one from Topflight. They are a reasonable priced, quality made product. Have bought two of them and are superior in every way. Just my .02.....
Old 03-30-2012, 12:15 AM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Get the Topflite bracket. Messed around with the GM bracket on my mom's car for a while (no front plate on mine, I take my chances) and no matter what double sided tape I used and no matter how clean the surface was it would come loose eventually. It's a poorly made piece. If you look at it closely you'll see that all 3 areas do not touch the bumper evenly, so the bracket itself is always trying to pull itself off the car. The Topflite one fits and looks much better.

PS - the edges of the GM one WILL rub the paint from wind resistance. I had to do a little wet sanding when I went from the GM to the Topflite bracket.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:19 AM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marc8090
Get the Topflite bracket. Messed around with the GM bracket on my mom's car for a while (no front plate on mine, I take my chances) and no matter what double sided tape I used and no matter how clean the surface was it would come loose eventually. It's a poorly made piece. If you look at it closely you'll see that all 3 areas do not touch the bumper evenly, so the bracket itself is always trying to pull itself off the car. The Topflite one fits and looks much better.

PS - the edges of the GM one WILL rub the paint from wind resistance. I had to do a little wet sanding when I went from the GM to the Topflite bracket.
My stick on scratched the front from the vibration of the plate holder when the stickies broke loose.

I run the removable plate now. It's all good!

Get notified of new replies

To Double faced tape for front plate bracket

Quick Reply: Double faced tape for front plate bracket