C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do the "dry sump" ls motors need a catch can

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:24 PM
JoeDAnnunzio
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Do the "dry sump" ls motors need a catch can

Last week I ordered a Halltech MF103 and Elite catch can from Marylandspeed.com. First off, I am very impressed with them. They had me tracking numbers within 3 hours of my order being placed.

I got the MF103 on Friday and after a taxing 20 minutes it was in and running. If you didn't catch the sarcasm it couldn't of been any easier. While I was cleaning and inspecting my TB I notice the all-but total absence of any blow by oil. If there was one drop throughout the whole assembly I'd be surprised. My GS has about 12k miles on it and they haven't been gentle. I expected to see some significant build up. Then I noticed the PCV routing through the dry sump reservoir and then to the intake. It appears the reservoir acts as a catch can, and from what I can tell a pretty good one.

Is anyone else running a catch can in addition to the dry sump reservoir (preferably on an LS3)? If so are you seeing any build up in the can? Do I just have a magical motor, or is this a fix to a known problem with performance motors? Before I install the Elite piece I want to make sure its even needed. The 170ish bucks could be better spent on say an MGW shifter if I don't need the can. I thought I was installing a preventative maintenance mod, but if its superfluous I'd rather drop the money on something else.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I don't think they are needed on any of the cars. I have never run one and have never had issues related to the so called oil in the throttle body/intake. Sure my cars used at least a quart of oil per day at the track but that never hurt the car. I have never seen any documented evidence that a catch can provides any benefit.

Bill

Quick Reply: Do the "dry sump" ls motors need a catch can