C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla ATAK II fitment issue

Old 04-15-2012, 01:09 PM
yellow96
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a pic from underneath. You can see how the driver's side is angled from front to back of muffler. It is as much as 3/4" to 1" high in the back of the muffler. This causes the top of the front of the muffler to tilt forward which is why it rubs against the muffler bracket. This tilt is why the driver's side pipe looks like its at a different angle from the back view of the car. I called and talked to Borla about 2 weeks ago and they are supposed to be sending me a different over axle pipe. They said it would be 2-3 weeks they have none in stock. I hope they redesign a new one. I am trying to be patient with this, but not sure how long I can hold out. May be taking them off if I don't get satisfied soon.

Last edited by yellow96; 04-15-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:42 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow96
Here is a pic from underneath. You can see how the driver's side is angled from front to back of muffler. It is as much as 3/4" to 1" high in the back of the muffler. This causes the top of the front of the muffler to tilt forward which is why it rubs against the muffler bracket. This tilt is why the driver's side pipe looks like its at a different angle from the back view of the car. I called and talked to Borla about 2 weeks ago and they are supposed to be sending me a different over axle pipe. They said it would be 2-3 weeks they have none in stock. I hope they redesign a new one. I am trying to be patient with this, but not sure how long I can hold out. May be taking them off if I don't get satisfied soon.

That is awful! You have at least two wrong bend angles on that pipe. So either they are designed wrong and their QC inpection parameters match these angles, or their program for their bender is wrong and they don't QC them. It is an easy and quick design fix, but this shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Do you have a protractor to send tham the angle differences? With that info alone they could change the bend angles to make them match perfect.

Thanks for the photo.

DJ
Old 04-15-2012, 01:56 PM
yellow96
Racer

No problem!! I don't have a way to check angles at the present time. I really don't want to take them off until I have the replacment pipe. I will call them before I do the reinstall. I want to make sure someone has addressed the problem and I have the redesigned pipe. I am sure they have heard from several owners and I would think they have addressed the issue. Hopefully it will work out....I really do like the sound of Borla exhaust. Thanks!!
Old 04-15-2012, 02:32 PM
beefster39
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pic yellow96. I know there are some Borla reps on this forum, have you gotten a response from them?
Old 04-15-2012, 02:46 PM
yellow96
Racer

Originally Posted by beefster39
Great pic yellow96. I know there are some Borla reps on this forum, have you gotten a response from them?
Hey there...thanks! Nope at the current time. These guys need to address this because its going to hurt sales. There have been several owners having fitment issues. There is one guy on here that has his brand new system for sale and is buying a Corsa system. He says his system only has 100 miles. I might not be far behind him if Borla doesn't address the problem. Thanks for you support!!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:13 AM
All2Easy
Racer

Hey there...thanks! Nope at the current time. These guys need to address this because its going to hurt sales. There have been several owners having fitment issues. There is one guy on here that has his brand new system for sale and is buying a Corsa system. He says his system only has 100 miles. I might not be far behind him if Borla doesn't address the problem. Thanks for you support!!
Yep....that would be me.

Was frustrated with the situation, and ordered up a Corsa Xtreme system.

Yes....very expensive move on my part, but I don't have time to go back and forth with Borla over crap like this.

If I were trying to rig up a system on a beater '78 Chevy pickup, I would go into it knowing that I would have to "caress" things. But this is a brand new Vette and a parts manufacturer advertising a direct fit. Borla should have held back on release of their product until they were confident of the fit of the system.....they sound great, so kudos to them for that at least.

I am absolutely comfortable with my decision to buy the Corsa system. While I did like the sound of the Borlas (minus the metal on metal contact with my car !), I like the Corsa Xtremes even more. In fact, my wife likes the Corsa sound better as well. According to her, she thinks the Corsa sound fits the car better, and I agree. Also, the fit of the system is fantastic.....the alignment of the tips fell into place once I tightened everything down with very little to no manipulation on my part.

Good luck gents.....I hope Borla comes back and makes this right for you all. I have moved on......
Old 04-16-2012, 10:20 AM
kctay
Instructor

These are mass produced systems that my shop installs nearly daily. Nearly all of them need tweaking, I'm mystified why the OP simply didn't take his car down to a custom exhaust shop and have it tweaked.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM
All2Easy
Racer

Originally Posted by kctay
These are mass produced systems that my shop installs nearly daily. Nearly all of them need tweaking, I'm mystified why the OP simply didn't take his car down to a custom exhaust shop and have it tweaked.
I guess we need to define tweaking.

Is tweaking moving the pipes around in their clamps a bit for alignment? If so, I am good with this.

Or, does tweaking involve the cutting or bending of the parts that came in the box to achieve a satisfactory fit?

If it is the second point....sorry, that type of tweaking is a no go in my book. Others may be cool with this, but not me.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:51 AM
harveyjoe
Advanced

That is exactly what mine looks like. I have sent pictures to Borla yesterday. Let's see if they respond.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:12 AM
kctay
Instructor

Originally Posted by All2Easy
I guess we need to define tweaking.

Is tweaking moving the pipes around in their clamps a bit for alignment? If so, I am good with this.

Or, does tweaking involve the cutting or bending of the parts that came in the box to achieve a satisfactory fit?

If it is the second point....sorry, that type of tweaking is a no go in my book. Others may be cool with this, but not me.

Just my opinion.
Sometimes 'tweaking' requires cutting the factory weld at the muffler and re-positioning the muffler, then tig welding the muffler back on again in the new position. The weld will nearly be identical, and nobody is ever going to see it in the position it is in anyway. Bending the parts? Heavens no, the vast majority shops have 'compression' benders, you can hardly put an adjustment bend in a mandrel bent pipe with that. Moving the pipes around can be accomplished by any 'hack'. If you will only accept moving the pipes around at their connections, you will never have one of these kit systems fit perfectly.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 AM
vettro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyjoe
That is exactly what mine looks like. I have sent pictures to Borla yesterday. Let's see if they respond.
Do you drive that car...? Looks like I could eat my lunch off the undercarriage of your car -
Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM
All2Easy
Racer

Sometimes 'tweaking' requires cutting the factory weld at the muffler and re-positioning the muffler, then tig welding the muffler back on again in the new position. The weld will nearly be identical, and nobody is ever going to see it in the position it is in anyway. Bending the parts? Heavens no, the vast majority shops have 'compression' benders, you can hardly put an adjustment bend in a mandrel bent pipe with that. Moving the pipes around can be accomplished by any 'hack'. If you will only accept moving the pipes around at their connections, you will never have one of these kit systems fit perfectly.
Thanks for the detail.

My Corsa system fit without any of the aforementioned. In fact, the tips are more centered than the stock system was.....they aligned beautifully once everything was torqued down.

How about this....every manufacturer should make a note in the install instructions that some cutting, welding or other light fabrication may be required for fitment /alignment challenges to be overcome? This way, the customer will know from the onset that the part may not be a simple install, but one that requires more expense and time in addition to the cost of the part itself.

I have had aftermarket exhaust systems installed on many of my previous vehicles. Quite honestly, I have never had fitment issues until the Borla install on my Corvette.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:29 PM
kctay
Instructor

Originally Posted by All2Easy
I have had aftermarket exhaust systems installed on many of my previous vehicles. Quite honestly, I have never had fitment issues until the Borla install on my Corvette.
You lead a charmed life my friend!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:31 PM
All2Easy
Racer

You lead a charmed life my friend!
Indeed I do.....and I don't take a minute of it for granted
Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Shostopper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone had fitment issues like this with the Catback system or just the Axleback system?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:18 PM
RICHARDS 97
Instructor

I wish I would have read all these problems before I ordered and had mine installed. I have a 2011 and the right side is hitting up against the car. I have taken it back three times to the GMC dealership and it still is doing it. I emailed Borla this morning. I think now I will call them. The axleback system # 11810 (touring). They do sound good when I am not hearing rubbing sounds. I should have followed my past expereince and went with Corsa.

Update -- just got off the telephone with Borla. I will receive another over the axle pipe but will not ship for 2 weeks.

Final update-- called Borla and said that waiting two weeks is unacceptable for a product that should have been correct to start with. There shipping from there Tennessee plant a replacement no later than 2 days. I just hope the dealership does not charge me another big fee to correct this problem and if so Borla will be getting the bill.

Last edited by RICHARDS 97; 04-17-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Final update
Old 04-16-2012, 05:47 PM
harveyjoe
Advanced

Originally Posted by amallano
Please let us know your progress. Upon inspection, mine is the same (left shorter than right). You can only really notice when standng over the rear deck and look straight down, but knowing its shorter is enough. I was out on the track on Friday at NJ Motorsports Park and there were no apparent issues and it didnt move after a full day of hard driving.
Nothing back from Borla yet. I have one adjustment fee and replacement fee I have paid for to date with this exhaust system and still the same issues (not including the original install by me). Reading this thread shows its an issue on Borla's side. Lets see if they can provide a suitable resolution.

Get notified of new replies

To Borla ATAK II fitment issue

Old 04-16-2012, 06:03 PM
DHack
Intermediate

I too am having the same fitment issues which causes the rattling with the S-type II's. I'm extremely disappointed and regretting my purchase. I will say I'm glad I'm not alone and hopefuly Borla will make some changes to make it right. A big thanks to those sharing your results. I do appreciate your efforts.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:14 PM
yellow96
Racer

I totally agree with All2Easy.....I didn't expect to have to pay extra for the system to fit. I installed a Corsa system on a '96 about 5 years ago and it fit perfectly. If the system required "tweaking" for a correct fit it should have been stated. I don't fell I need to spend more money to get the system to my satifaction. My replacment pipe was supposed to ship in 2-3 weeks and it has been 2 weeks as of today. Hopefully they are working on this. I am about to get a refund and do what All2Easy did. I am just afraid I can't sell the Borlas with all the complaints with fitment. Guess I will give them a chance to correct.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 PM
yellow96
Racer

Originally Posted by vettro
Do you drive that car...? Looks like I could eat my lunch off the undercarriage of your car -
Well it does get driven. Pretty protective of the conditions it is in. It's an '06 with about 19,000 miles. I bought it from a 63 year old lady, the original owner, who said she wasn't sure she ever had it over 70. I think it was a grocery getter for her on nice days. I haven't exposed it to much inclement weather the 8 months I have owned it. I have put about 2,000 miles on it. I am kinda of a clean freak too!! Thanks for asking....LOL!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Borla ATAK II fitment issue