C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla ATAK II fitment issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:48 AM
harveyjoe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla ATAK II fitment issue

Installed my new Borla ATAK II system in my 07 coupe manual gearbox. I have not been able to keep the driver side exhaust from hitting the outboard rear hanger bolt when it is fully heated up. After removing the system and re-installing it 3 times I finally gave up and took it to the dealer and had them try. They had the same issue even after I had them shave the head of the hanger bolt. I have about 1" of clearance on the left can from the hanger when cold. Could anyone tell me what you have for clearance?
I wanted to hear the sound of the exhaust not the clanging of metal to metal!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:07 AM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry to hear of your issue. Can you go to an exhaust shop and have them expand the x-pipe to rear section connection deeper so the pipe slides in further to give you more room in the back?

DJ
Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 AM
All2Easy
Racer

These issues with Borla fitment are starting to concern me as the setup I ordered arrives tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:13 AM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by All2Easy
These issues with Borla fitment are starting to concern me as the setup I ordered arrives tomorrow.
Keep us posted, hopefully everything goes just fine.

DJ
Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 AM
All2Easy
Racer

Originally Posted by djbrun
Keep us posted, hopefully everything goes just fine.

DJ
Will do so....thanks for the nice writeup in the other thread.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 AM
beefster39
Intermediate

I have had a Borla S-type II axleback on for a few weeks and I have fitment issues as well. After the car warms up, one of the bolts is clanking against the car. The installer said he would have to shorten the length of the crossover pipe to get more clearance.

Fortunately, I can only hear it at certain RPM/acceleration and over speedbumps. It is the 2nd best sounding exhaust I've heard (the original stingers being #1) but I'm disappointed in Borla's quality this time around.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:05 AM
harveyjoe
Advanced

Originally Posted by djbrun
Sorry to hear of your issue. Can you go to an exhaust shop and have them expand the x-pipe to rear section connection deeper so the pipe slides in further to give you more room in the back?

DJ
The over axle pipe is seated all the way in the "H" pipe right to where it turns up. When looking at the can it does not sit parallel to the rear frame the top is about 1/2" or so closer to the rear than the bottom of the can. It looks like either the over axle pipe or the inlet to the can are not at the correct angle. Off to the shop again today for a complete re-seat of everything and then see what happens.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 AM
All2Easy
Racer

Originally Posted by harveyjoe
The over axle pipe is seated all the way in the "H" pipe right to where it turns up. When looking at the can it does not sit parallel to the rear frame the top is about 1/2" or so closer to the rear than the bottom of the can. It looks like either the over axle pipe or the inlet to the can are not at the correct angle. Off to the shop again today for a complete re-seat of everything and then see what happens.
Thanks for the detail.

I was going to install the system at my house, but may elect to carry it to a muffler shop since it would seem that this may not necessarily be a plug-and-play deal.

If the drivers side over-the-axle pipe were cut down slightly, do you think the driver's side exhaust would better align? Any issues with the passenger side fitment?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 AM
harveyjoe
Advanced

Thanks for the detail.

I was going to install the system at my house, but may elect to carry it to a muffler shop since it would seem that this may not necessarily be a plug-and-play deal.

If the drivers side over-the-axle pipe were cut down slightly, do you think the driver's side exhaust would better align? Any issues with the passenger side fitment?
Passenger side fitment is fine. Drivers side is difficult at best. The brake lines run very close to the over axle pipe due to the bend. Moving the over axle pipe away from the lines to the center of the car causes the exhaust can to move rearward and this looks like what is causing the interference issue.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:27 AM
All2Easy
Racer

Has anyone reached out to Borla yet? If so, any response from them?

For the number of bones everyone is throwing down on these, I would not expect the customer being put in a position of modifying the product further to make it fit properly.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 AM
harveyjoe
Advanced

Has anyone reached out to Borla yet? If so, any response from them?

For the number of bones everyone is throwing down on these, I would not expect the customer being put in a position of modifying the product further to make it fit properly.
I have been in contact with Borla and provided pictures. They have asked to ensure the over axle pipe is fully engaged in the "H" pipe. I am going to verify this today at my local dealer today. In the end I am sure the pipe is fully engaged.

They do sound good to my ears!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Silver99v6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did the same thing when I first put mine on a few years ago. Make sure that the muffler section is completely seated in the hangers. I had to give mine a few hard tugs. After doing this, it made the over the axel pipes fall into place and away from the bolt.

If that doesn't help, I have heard of people hitting the pipe with a rubber mallet while it is warm.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:31 PM
All2Easy
Racer

One more question gents.

If I back the car onto a couple of ramps, would I gain enough clearance off of the ground to change out the axle back?

I have jack stands, but have never been comfortable about putting a car on them knowing I may be tugging and pulling on things that could cause the car to move around a bit.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 PM
harveyjoe
Advanced

One more question gents.

If I back the car onto a couple of ramps, would I gain enough clearance off of the ground to change out the axle back?

I have jack stands, but have never been comfortable about putting a car on them knowing I may be tugging and pulling on things that could cause the car to move around a bit.
I did mine on jack stands on the back and the front on 3 pieces of 2"x10". I put blocks under the back wheels just in case. There is a good thread here with pictures. If I had to it again I would just pay for the install.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:43 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

I have actually changed mine 4 or 5 times, it gets easier the more times you do it of course. If you have nothing to do, it's a good way to pass the time. You can clean the under side of your car while your at it. Also, take advantage of this time to check things out, I found one of my CV boots leaking a little, I wouldn't of noticed it until it was too late otherwise.

Now if your pressed for time and can trust the shop, then it is nice to drop it off and then get it back the way you want it.

I will have the guys at my machine shop at work fix my X-pipe tomorrow. I will have to cut a slit so that the left exiting pipe of the x-pipe could be straightened and then have my welder weld her back up. It should be good to go after that. My answers from Borla were not what I would call good customer service.

DJ
Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 AM
All2Easy
Racer

Have an appointment setup with a muffler shop I have used before.

They did a great job on the Charger SRT8 with a Magnaflow install, and I believe the manager is a GM nut.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:34 AM
vettro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Borla is just .... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!

Had an 03 Z06 bought stingers and had fitment issues (after paying $1000 THEY BETTER FIT $%# &^*% IT) seems it's just SOP for them - I wouldn't buy their CRAP again if they gave BJ's with the purchase... Bottle of Johnny Walker blue, maybe, cause you'll need it after installing their J U N K ...

Last edited by johnodrake; 04-20-2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Inappropriate Language

Get notified of new replies

To Borla ATAK II fitment issue

Old 04-05-2012, 12:35 PM
harveyjoe
Advanced

Originally Posted by Silver99v6
Mine did the same thing when I first put mine on a few years ago. Make sure that the muffler section is completely seated in the hangers. I had to give mine a few hard tugs. After doing this, it made the over the axel pipes fall into place and away from the bolt.

If that doesn't help, I have heard of people hitting the pipe with a rubber mallet while it is warm.
It looks like either the over axle pipe or the pipe that exits from the rear of the can is not at the correct angle. It the can is moved back enough to get clearance the over axle pipe hits the brake lines. Not good. Borla has agreed to exchange for a new one. This time I will have it installed.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:44 PM
All2Easy
Racer

Mine is being installed tomorrow....I will report out the results.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 PM
All2Easy
Racer

Okay

Got the Borla (11811) put on today.

Glad I took it to a shop....while I enjoy wrenching as much as I can, I could see myself loosing patience with worming the old cans off.

Everything is lined up about as perfect as possible.....and no issues with anything touching. At first, the left can was bumping up against a hanger bolt, but the installer got it sorted. Seems the can was not fully seated on the pipe that goes over the axle.

Sound is exactly what I was hoping for.....very deep tone, and no drone at highway speeds.

Only one issue......as I ease the clutch out in first gear, the deep harmonics are just right to get something in the back of the car to rattle just slightly. At first, I thought maybe it was the license plate. So I applied some foam isolator tape to the back of my plate to get it "off" of the car a little more. After a quick test drive, I thought I solved it. But, when backing into my garage feathering the throttle and slipping the clutch a bit, I could hear the rattle again. I noticed there is a tin heat shield above the exhaust components....maybe the culprit??? I definitely know the exhaust is not hitting anything.....I can grab both cans and jiggle them around a bit without touching any surrounding pieces.

So, 95% success to this point.....just need to figure out the rattle part.

Anyone experience this?

Last edited by All2Easy; 04-06-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Borla ATAK II fitment issue