C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tornado and Hail in DFW

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:06 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

wow that sucks so bad... sorry it happened to your vette man.... at least it didn't end up in the air like some of the trailers i saw on the news in the tornados.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:17 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

I grew up in Irving so I know how violent the weather can be. Corvettes do reasonably well with hail but at some point it will no longer be forgiving just like any other car when the ice chunks get big enough. My parents still live there and I don't know how they fared. Good luck with those with damage and I hope insurance minimizes the pain you feel.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Sorry to see the damage done to your Corvettes. Was watching the coverage live on FNC and agree that the storms were very scary. Glad to hear there were no apparent serious injuries or death. Obviously many millions of dollars in property damage. Hope the repairs go smoothly.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Ouch. Been there.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:38 AM
2toys
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our hearts and prayers go out to all who lost their homes and vehicles. The news services reported no one had died, thank you Lord.

Every time I see these natural disaster reports my second thought is how many classic vehicles of all makes and models are lost forever. My '07 could be replaced easily, my pristine '65 roadster would be tragic, to me.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 AM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

to all our brothers (and sisters) in the DFW area, I hope you are all ok!! Car damage can be repaired.. Tornados have a way of doing more than that... that looked very serious on the news up here last night. Be safe!!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 AM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran

That sucks!! but glad to hear that there were no fatalities or major injuries being reported at lease as of last night........

Mark
Old 04-04-2012, 11:27 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So the lesson here is keep 'em in the garage AND be careful what Corvettes you buy from the DFW area in the near future!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:36 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

wow that sucks!

on the brightside, you could take the insurance money and upgrade to a cf hood and katech lexan windshield...
Old 04-04-2012, 12:41 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
damn man...im sorry!!!!!! that suks!
Good luck with the repairs
Old 04-10-2012, 09:34 AM
AV8ForFun
Racer

Man, I went by the shop to get a parking sticker off my car's windshield before they replaced it, and this is what I found. They were hard at work on it. The hood, roof, both rear quarters and both front fenders were off of it. They were wet sanding everything except the two doors. It was a mess.....even a bunch of footprints in the seat, with an obvious footprint on the armrest!?!?

What can I do?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 AM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

oh Jeez... tell them to protect the interior.. that's just crazy to be wet sanding and doing all that work with the passenger area open to the shop... Man, I'd be pissed!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Slick64
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely would have taken all the pics I could and asked to speak to the owner.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree on taking as many pictures as possible

if you say something, be as polite as possible (leaving any emotion/ frustration out of it) and mention how the car is new and it took a long time for you to save up for it etc

this way youre more likeable and look less like "another rich snob complaining about his car" (obviously this isnt my opinion, but it is a negative stereotype some service people hold toward corvette owners that have complaints about their cars)

good luck

Last edited by el es tu; 04-10-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 AM
AV8ForFun
Racer

Originally Posted by el es tu
I agree on taking as many pictures as possible

if you say something, be as polite as possible (leaving any emotion/ frustration out of it) and mention how the car is new and it took a long time for you to save up for it etc

this way youre more likeable and look less like "another rich snob complaining about his car" (obviously this isnt my opinion, but it is a negative stereotype some service people hold toward corvette owners that have complaints about their cars)

good luck
That's been my approach....mostly because it's true. Otherwise, there's alot of things that a pissed tech can do to it at this point to make matters worse.....can't trust anyone these days.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by AV8ForFun
Man, I went by the shop to get a parking sticker off my car's windshield before they replaced it, and this is what I found. They were hard at work on it. The hood, roof, both rear quarters and both front fenders were off of it. They were wet sanding everything except the two doors. It was a mess.....even a bunch of footprints in the seat, with an obvious footprint on the armrest!?!?

What can I do?

EEEEEK! My '12 GS Centennial Edition is at Classic's body shop right now (hit a flying re-tread on the highway, repainting front), I dropped it off on Monday, April 2, on my way to DFW to fly to Tokyo. Back now, it should be done soon, as in today...hopefully mine was inside the whole time during the storm...and hopefully it didn't get the "loving treatment" yours did (no offense)!

Our office is off of Main and Hwy 114 and apparently we didn't get hit with much hail, pea-size at most from what folks tell me.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:42 AM
AV8ForFun
Racer

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
EEEEEK! My '12 GS Centennial Edition is at Classic's body shop right now (hit a flying re-tread on the highway, repainting front), I dropped it off on Monday, April 2, on my way to DFW to fly to Tokyo. Back now, it should be done soon, as in today...hopefully mine was inside the whole time during the storm...and hopefully it didn't get the "loving treatment" yours did (no offense)!

Our office is off of Main and Hwy 114 and apparently we didn't get hit with much hail, pea-size at most from what folks tell me.
My car was parked at work at Hwy 114 and 121....just at the north end of the runways for DFW. Everything in our lot was pretty much wiped out. Classic is a few miles away, maybe it wasn't too bad over there. I hope they get yours fixed right.

I know I'm going to be breaking out the pics and screaming if there's even a piece of lint on the interior. The more I think about it, the angrier I get. I understand that you have to crack some eggs to make an omelet, but they could have, at the very least, put some plastic over the interior, and certainly kept their feet off of the leather!

I'm afraid that it's never going to be right after this.

Get notified of new replies

To Tornado and Hail in DFW

Old 04-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

AV8 - I hear you. They did a great job on my '11 vert last year (got backed over by a truck, just a little damage on the front bumper, see a trend? LOL). From what everyone is telling me, the hail in Grapevine was so minimal compared to the area where you were...and just East, as in Freeport & 114, apparently that area got hammered, very localized.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 AM
AV8ForFun
Racer

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
AV8 - I hear you. They did a great job on my '11 vert last year (got backed over by a truck, just a little damage on the front bumper, see a trend? LOL). From what everyone is telling me, the hail in Grapevine was so minimal compared to the area where you were...and just East, as in Freeport & 114, apparently that area got hammered, very localized.
I'm at Freeport and 114.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

i'm just taking a wild guess ,but did your ins.send you there ? sorry to see that me i would get it fixed and sell it the same day .why the hell would someone tear the car apart to wet sand hell damage
best of luck

Quick Reply: Tornado and Hail in DFW