C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Gage Accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:46 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Have used a Moroso gauge since my old drag racing days. I would much sooner trust it's readings to be more accurate than the tmps's, though in my case they are fairly consistent.

Spending 50 to 130 thousand dollars on a car and then not religiously checking a simple item that can significantly effect traction, handling, braking, tire wear and ride quality is akin to being satisfied with running on 7 cylinders.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Just picked this up from Harbor freight for $10!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:31 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

The DIC on my 08 C6 was exactly 3 psi lower than 2 gauges I had back then, now the same thing with my GS. Altitude screws up the TPMS.

I use the gauge on the left now. As Wolfdogs said the digital ones are a waste of money.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When we bought our C5 in 2001, people on CF recommended the Accutire digital gauges. I went out and bought 4 (one for each car and one for the shop). They all gave the same readings, and also continue to give the same readings as four other different brands of digital gauges I've bought as gifts for people in the years since then.

About two years ago, one of the Accutire gauges started becoming intermittant. The readings were still accurate when it worked, but occasionally in cold weather it wouldn't read at all. I pitched it and got another.

So three of the four gauges are still working after 11 years, and they all appear to be accurate too. I'm a happy customer.

Quick Reply: Tire Gage Accuracy