C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 12:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Listening to iphone music on car's Bluetooth ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by georgec114

BTW, one option so many people ignore is to burn some CDs with your MP3 music on and use the player built in to your radio. If you have the 6 CD player, it stores hundreds of files. All controlled from the steering wheel or radio.
That's exactly what I used do. However, the Gov shut down LimeWire, so I don't have a source anymore to download free MP3 files and burn them to a CD.

Personally, I could care less about listening to music my wife has on her iPhone ... She just asked me if there was a way to listen to her iPhone music through the car's audio system ... hense my silly questions to everyone here.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by vettenevodrvr
Just buy a cable with the 3.5 on both ends. Plug one end into the headphone jack of the iPhone and the other into the car's stereo.

Just remember, this will drain the iPhone battery.

You won't be able to control music tracks from the stereo.
Well, my wife does have a recharger wire that plugs into the cigarette lighter, so she can keep the iPhone charged while in the car.

But, you have a point about not being able to control the music tracks from the car's radio or steering wheel controls ... but she can do that with the iPhone herself.

I just wonder how good the sound quality would be from the iPhone being attached to the car's audio system though a wire with 3.5mm stereo plugs on each end?

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 04-08-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Well, my wife does have a recharger wire that plugs into the cigarette lighter, so she can keep the iPhone charged while in the car.

But, you have a point about not being able to control the music tracks from the car's radio or steering wheel controls ... but she can do that with the iPhone herself.

I just wonder how good the sound quality would be from the iPhone being attached to the car's audio system though a wire with 3.5mm stereo plugs on each end?

I have my iPod connected to the charger in the center console. I've left it plugged in overnight but I usually try to unhook it just in case it will drain the battery too much. I have the 3.5mm cable running from the iPod to the radio out of the center console. It doesn't get in the way and doesn't look too bad sticking out.

As for quality I haven't noticed any drop in quality from the regular radio stations to my iPod. I would make sure the EQs are both set up fairly close to each other if you can change both of them. I have a cheap-o cable and it works great.

Either get a good mix setup or have it somewhere where you can easily change the songs.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Ok .... Thank's everyone for all the great info you have provided.

I am just going to buy a cheap wire with a 3.5mm stereo plug on each end from Radio Shack and connect that between the iPhones headset plug and the plug on the car radio.

If it works, it works ... if it sounds like crap, I will dump the wire and tell my wife to start listening to CDs .. and use her iPhone to make telephone calls like it was intended for in the first place.

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 04-08-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:20 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok .... Thank's everyone for all the great info you have provided.

I am just going to buy a cheap wire with a 3.5mm stereo plug on each end and connect that between the iPhones headset plug and the plug on the car radio.

If it works, it works ... if it sounds like crap, I will dump the wire and tell my wife to start listening to CDs .. and use her iPhone to make telephone calls like it was intended for in the first place.

There are also several options that will also charge your phone, while you connect through the AUX port. I recommend one of these, as you can charge your iPhone or iPad while you use it.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:39 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

If the music sounds good from the ipod, it will sound good from the cars stereo speakers. I use mine with my coupe that does not have the nav. Its a 4LT 09 GT1 coupe but if the car has nav, it will not have the mp3 connector on the dash. Enjoy, be sure to set the radio to Aux!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:17 PM
John in MD
Instructor

When you first plug it in and switch to AUX you might not hear anything. If this happens, turn up the volume on the iPod/iPhone. The first time I tried it I thought it was broken just because I had the iPhone volume too low.

Sound quality going this way isn't as good as going through USB, but it is acceptable.

I just ordered a Kenwood DDX-719 from DoubleDMods so I can just plug in and charge the iPhone at the same time. This unit will also display the Garmin nav screen which is pretty cool.

John
Old 04-09-2012, 03:27 AM
salmonarmvette
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is another option for you. Do a search for Techmart Wireless FM transmitter for Ipod iphone. I have one for my ipod it just plugs into the bottom of the ipod etc. and set the fm radio to an unused frequency and the same on the transmitter and your in business. Also it recharge the ipod through the cig lighter. Works like a damn.

Last edited by salmonarmvette; 04-09-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Wideout
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by John in MD
I just ordered a Kenwood DDX-719 from DoubleDMods so I can just plug in and charge the iPhone at the same time. This unit will also display the Garmin nav screen which is pretty cool.

John
You're going to love it. I just had the 719 installed last week (bought from Dennis as well) and am very satisfied. I had the rear camera installed...that works great too.

As a consequence, the newer Kenwoods do support streaming audio via bluetooth (including the DDX719).

"Built-In Bluetooth A2DP Music Streaming - Enjoy wireless music playback from your Bluetooth device like a smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth through your in-dash receiver."
Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 AM
sportcruiser
Pro

All,

Just be aware that BlueTooth will degrade the sound quality noticeably versus being directly connected, and given that your iPod already degrades the sound significantly versus the CD, you are working your way back towards LP-like sound quality. Just wanted you to know. Don't use an FM transmitter unless you are VERY tolerant of poor sound quality, static and music bleeding over from others doing the same as you pass them on the street.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:32 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sportcruiser
All,

Just be aware that BlueTooth will degrade the sound quality noticeably versus being directly connected, and given that your iPod already degrades the sound significantly versus the CD, you are working your way back towards LP-like sound quality. Just wanted you to know. Don't use an FM transmitter unless you are VERY tolerant of poor sound quality, static and music bleeding over from others doing the same as you pass them on the street.
See post #2!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Wideout
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

All,

Yep, I think we all realize that CD is better quality than aux/Ipod or Bluetooth. It's also pretty obvious that buying digital media online has overtaken CD sales and is the norm now. Having more options to connect and play digital files or stream music is what I'm after. I don't blast my stereo very often so the slightly lesser quality sound doesn't typically bother me. It is hardly noticeable at low or medium volumes.

You're right though, I don't know why anyone would use an FM transmitter these days.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Well, so much for that idea.

But here is another ... There is a little input connector on the upper right hand corner of the OEM radio.

Can a wire with that type of plug on the end be connected between the iPhone and the car's radio so I can listen to music that playing on the iPhone through the car's audio system?

If not, what the hell is that input jack on the car's radio even good for?
Thats how I connect my Droid Razr phone to listen to my music on my phone and for internet radio(pandora,slacker) I even have a neat phone holder that fits in the cup holder. Just go out and buy a 3.5mm audio cable for $10!!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Cup holder mount.....

Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

All,

Just be aware that BlueTooth will degrade the sound quality noticeably versus being directly connected... Don't use an FM transmitter unless you are VERY tolerant of poor sound quality, static and music bleeding over from others doing the same as you pass them on the street.

It's a shame that more companies haven't adopted the lossless Bluetooth audio codec that was published, and instead continue to use A2DP. But that's purely a reflection of consumer wants.

given that your iPod already degrades the sound significantly versus the CD, you are working your way back towards LP-like sound quality.
The iPod doesn't degrade song quality. Poor lossy recordings stored on an IPod degrade SQ. The iPhone/iPod use pretty high quality Wolfson DACs, so theyre really not the culprit.

And LPs really don't have bad SQ either. Well mastered LPs with good quality playback devices (needle, turntable, etc) can arguably sound better than CDs.

Last edited by WAwatchnut; 04-10-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:38 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut

It's a shame that more companies haven't adopted the lossless Bluetooth audio codec that was published, and instead continue to use A2DP. But that's purely a reflection of consumer wants.

The iPod doesn't degrade song quality. Poor lossy recordings stored on an IPod degrade SQ. The iPhone/iPod use pretty high quality Wolfson DACs, so theyre really not the culprit.

And LPs really don't have bad SQ either. Well mastered LPs with good quality playback devices (needle, turntable, etc) can arguably sound better than CDs.
I understand the theory, and I understand that it is not the iPod that degrades the sound, but rather it's the nature of the compression used on the audio files that degrades the sound. Still, if you take the exact same music and do a head-to-head bake off in your car, you will hear a major difference between the iPod and the CD.

Regarding LP's, sure, with the very best equipment and a brand new LP that is not warn they sound pretty good, but in a practical sense, for the average person, there is little comparison; and if I recall, the CD has about 15db more dynamic range.

In any event, do what I did, go buy Amaryllis by Shinedown on iTunes and CD (and LP if you so desire), and play them both in your car. The CD is markedly better sounding... more range and much sharper. I was surprised too.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:01 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Well, so much for that idea.

But here is another ... There is a little input connector on the upper right hand corner of the OEM radio.

Can a wire with that type of plug on the end be connected between the iPhone and the car's radio so I can listen to music that playing on the iPhone through the car's audio system?

If not, what the hell is that input jack on the car's radio even good for?
Yes you can!!

Get notified of new replies

To Listening to iphone music on car's Bluetooth ?

Old 04-10-2012, 04:01 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Originally Posted by Wideout
Yep, I think we all realize that CD is better quality than aux/Ipod or Bluetooth. It's also pretty obvious that buying digital media online has overtaken CD sales and is the norm now. Having more options to connect and play digital files or stream music is what I'm after. I don't blast my stereo very often so the slightly lesser quality sound doesn't typically bother me. It is hardly noticeable at low or medium volumes.

You're right though, I don't know why anyone would use an FM transmitter these days.
Yeah, and while I "realized" CD was better, I was surprised just how much better. I see people posting about improving their sound system all of the time... kind of ironic as we have all chosen to degrade the input.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

I have a DIY for what you want to do. Please see the following link.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...adio-08-a.html
Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 PM
jh61408
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Use this for your iPhone as it will charge and control it with your controls on your steering wheel, Best unit out there.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...te-owners.html

Quick Reply: Listening to iphone music on car's Bluetooth ?