C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longtube headers... Cats or No Cats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 01:26 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Huskerman,

1 3/4" for normally aspirated engines, 1 7/8" for forced induction. The larger headers will work and give a little more power, just later in the rpm range. The 1 3/4" will give you a little more torque lower in the power band.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:31 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Huskerman
....so.....which is better? 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" headers for my LS3......I will use cats....and I have a Corsa Sport Cat back set up with x pipe already on the car.......just thought I would ask the brain trust.......
Assuming you don't go blown or big cammed, stick with 1 3/4".
LG Streets will produce more power from a bolton than the pros.
Z06 manifolds, cats, and H or X-pipe necked down to 2.5" at the rear, will produce about 2/3 the power of headers.
Don't forget that more air in and out, should include a tune too.
The following users liked this post:
mikeCsix (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 01:45 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,908 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Husky they gave you good advice. I have LG streets in 1 3/4 with their high flow cats. They are in my neck of the woods so they did the install and tune back in 08. No problems at all except the crappy tailpipe clamps GM uses.

If I had it to do again I would get them ceramic coated. As it is I changed the plug wires to high heat ones and put on kevlar boots. I also removed the hood weatherstripping up by the cowl to let some heat out.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,818 Likes on 1,966 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

so......LG's or ARH.....or Kook's...........which are the favored by the chosen one's......in modern times not back in year 12? 10-4 on the ceramic I had those on my C4 and they did a good job......

Last edited by Huskerman; 09-01-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:35 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Huskerman
so......LG's or ARH.....or Kook's...........which are the favored by the chosen one's......in modern times not back in year 12? 10-4 on the ceramic I had those on my C4 and they did a good job......
I think post #42 and #43 had the answers you needed.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:40 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,908 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I think post #42 and #43 had the answers you needed.
What do you expect from a slow Gser? That he can read and comprehend?
Old 09-01-2016, 11:06 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,818 Likes on 1,966 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

.....ok.......so only confusing answers so I am going to just pick the LG Streets........hope I'm right....... got a baser to beat.....

Last edited by Huskerman; 09-01-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:22 PM
orripid
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 08LS3Vette
No cats gives you a more raw throaty race car sound. I've always preferred no cats on any sports car I've owned. But like said, it depends on your setup. My last 08 Vette I had LG Street Longtubes, X pipe, no cats, and an SLP Loudmouth 1 axle-back. It would wake the dead but I loved it. And as for the smell, it's not too noticeable. It never bothered me but then again it's the smell of performance lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPxfPvXDqIE
Way to loud for a street car.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:42 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Kooks 1 7/8 long tube headers off road X pipe and Borla S type II axle back. No drone, not to loud. Can have a normal conversation or listen to radio. But you probably won't have the radio on because you'll love hearing those pipes with no cats. That's if you don't have to pass emissions. I don't understand people complaining that the smell is so terrible. Only time I smell it if I leave it running in the garage. And if you go with cats it not only cost you some HP you will have to replace them eventually. And even 5 or 6 HP it too much. You can never have enough.

Last edited by ONEBADZ; 05-01-2018 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-01-2018, 09:46 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by simplegto
Cat taste just like chicken.
So many cats, so few good recipes!
Old 05-01-2018, 09:49 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2011_Grand_Sport
Kooks 1 7/8 long tube headers off road X pipe and Borla S type II axle back. No drone, not to loud. Can have a normal conversation or listen to radio. But you probably won't have the radio on because you'll love hearing those pipes with no cats. That's if you don't have to pass emissions. I don't understand people complaining that the smell is so terrible. Only time I smell it if I leave it running in the garage. And if you go with cats it not only cost you some HP you will have to replace them eventually. And even 5 or 6 HP it too much. You can never have enough.
Have read here on CF that it's a 2 to 3 hp loss with high performance cats
Old 05-01-2018, 09:55 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Originally Posted by TomdaToolman
Have read here on CF that it's a 2 to 3 hp loss with high performance cats
I've read 2 to 6. My tuner said 5-6? Why would you want to loose even 2-3? Like I said unless you're in a state where you have to pass emissions.

And why would you want to have to replace them when they go bad?

Last edited by ONEBADZ; 05-01-2018 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Added
Old 05-01-2018, 10:45 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeff @ TPE
Without question, go with Cats.
Cats only cost you 4-6hp (aftermarket metal matrix cats). It is nowhere near worth the down sides. Between the black soot on the fascia, and raw fuel smell, its not worth it. Plus, if you already have an aggressive exhaust it will get very very loud. Especially the drone.
I've NEVER had black soot on the fascia. The ONLY time I notice a smell is if I leave the car running backed in my garage and I'm in the garage. I've never noticed a smell inside the car. Mine is Definitely not "very very loud". It's not even very loud unless I get on it and I can't even make it drone if I try to with the Borla exhaust. I don't have to pass emissions so why would I want to loose 4-6 HP and have to one day replace any cats?
That's the honest truth and not my opinion.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:57 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2011_Grand_Sport
I've read 2 to 6. My tuner said 5-6? Why would you want to loose even 2-3? Like I said unless you're in a state where you have to pass emissions.

And why would you want to have to replace them when they go bad?

Personally, I'm undecided, but am leaning towards going catless. The likely hood of high performance cats going bad on a NA is low, however on a SC engine it's another story, from what I've been told.

I'm presently stock with the mild to wild and would like it noisier at idle and while accelerating, but am concerned with drone on road trips when I add headers 3" crossovers, no cats, cam and Akrapovic axle backs w/ 5" cf tips.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:05 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I had a 1969 Vette back in the mid 70's w/ a lopey idle and never had a problem with bad smell/odor and that was with a carbureted engine. I believe a good tune should eliminate the raw gas smell and any black soot!
Old 05-01-2018, 11:20 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Personally, I'm undecided, but am leaning towards going catless. The likely hood of high performance cats going bad on a NA is low, however on a SC engine it's another story, from what I've been told.

I'm presently stock with the mild to wild and would like it noisier at idle and while accelerating, but am concerned with drone on road trips when I add headers 3" crossovers, no cats, cam and Akrapovic axle backs w/ 5" cf tips.
I have read and heard that the Akrapovic system is very nice. I can only speak with confidence that the Borla S type II has no drone with my headers and 3 inch cat less X pipe or with the stock manifolds and pipe. My car had NPP with stock exhaust when I bought it and to get the sound I left them open all the time and it had very bad drone at highway/interstate speeds at lower RPM. I bought the Borla axle back, put it on and honestly have no drone. I've read that the Corsa doesn't drone either. I would assume the Akrapovic doesn't either. I would also assume the system your putting on will sound great too. I also picked up 49 Hp with a tune on a mustang dyno. I don't have a cam though. I want one though.
TomdaToolman (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 11:29 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

I had a 1969 Vette back in the mid 70's w/ a lopey idle and never had a problem with bad smell/odor and that was with a carbureted engine. I believe a good tune should eliminate the raw gas smell and any black soot!
I had a carbureted 77 with hooker headers, no cats and 2 flowmasters.
It did have more of a smell than my 11 does but again I only noticed it when it was running in the garage or when standing outside of it while running. It wasn't very bad inside the car even with the T tops off.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:01 PM
southofHoustonVette
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 08LS3Vette
No cats gives you a more raw throaty race car sound. I've always preferred no cats on any sports car I've owned. But like said, it depends on your setup. My last 08 Vette I had LG Street Longtubes, X pipe, no cats, and an SLP Loudmouth 1 axle-back. It would wake the dead but I loved it. And as for the smell, it's not too noticeable. It never bothered me but then again it's the smell of performance lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPxfPvXDqIE
This is the set up I want. How was the drone ?
Old 06-13-2019, 05:41 PM
JD C6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by COKANE1
You will be disappointed with the LG headers. I know everyone has their own opinion, but ARH and Kooks are the top header choices. Customer service with LG is horrible as well. They also changed their way of making the headers and it's not as good of material.
All that said, each vette is different and so is the owner so to each their own.
My setup: ARH 1-3/4 headers, 3" x pipe, no cats, B&B bullets. Very aggressive, very throaty, but the best overall parts and gains in power.
No cats you'll have some smoke at WOT, and it'll be louder, the smell of fuel will only be at WOT as well, but that's behind you so you won't notice it anyway....
At the end of the day it's whatever you want for what you do, and if emissions matters....
I totally agree with COKANE!
Customer service with LG is horrible as well!!!!!
They sent the wrong size clamps for LG Headers and they tried to blame shop. 2 3/4 clamps will never fit 3inch tubing!
I had to spend the night in hotel as LG Motorsports could not overnight the correct clamps!
LG Motorsports would NOT reimburse my hotel bill!!!

Last edited by JD C6; 06-13-2019 at 05:42 PM.
southofHoustonVette (06-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Longtube headers... Cats or No Cats?