C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I remove Air Dam side pieces??

Old 04-13-2012, 02:13 PM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteright
I'd take 'em off. I'm quite positive that the GM engineers had absolutely no reason at all for including them in the first place.
Yes, carefull, removing any of the 3 pieces might make the whole car fall apart. GM engineers obviously put everything on the car as a whole, so doing anything, however small it seems, will render your Corvette totally useless...

OP is asking the value of it so he can make an educated call to remove it or leave it. It's a very valid question!
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

To say I want to take them off because they scrape just make no sense to me at all...and yes mine scrape evey day I drive it in the driveway...
Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
To say I want to take them off because they scrape just make no sense to me at all...and yes mine scrape evey day I drive it in the driveway...
What will you gain by taking any part of it off except not hearing it scrape? It's not hurting anything.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Wyndridge3
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
Keep it, better to find out you are scraping the cheap air dam than the front lip spoiler or the bumper itself.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just leave them on and let them grind down, no worries. Its not all that easy getting them off.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by okie08vette
I would not because they direct air up to the radiator but have no experience with removing them. Have you though about this product, don't know if it really works or not but if the scraping is that bad it may be worth a try.
http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...-3-pc-set.aspx
$375 for a ramp?
Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 AM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default For those who have removed air dam side panels...

Did you also remove the clips through which the six screws (three per side) attach??? The clips are certainly movable but they don't seem to come out easily... I took my two side panels off tonight and will store them, the side screws and the two push pins away for at least a while. Do you think I should also try to remove the clips or might that get me into something I should instead just leave alone?? What did other folks who removed their side air dam panels do about the clips???

thanks... bob..
Old 04-14-2012, 03:21 AM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeMaster
Yes, carefull, removing any of the 3 pieces might make the whole car fall apart. GM engineers obviously put everything on the car as a whole, so doing anything, however small it seems, will render your Corvette totally useless...

OP is asking the value of it so he can make an educated call to remove it or leave it. It's a very valid question!
You are putting words in my mouth - I said nothing of the sort and I did not say that it wasn't a valid question. By all means he should take 'em off if he wants to. And anything else he wants to take off of his car. I'm sure that there are lots of pieces that could come off and the car would still function. Don't need the wipers unless it rains; don't need the headlights till its dark, don't need the horn unless you want to honk!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:37 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I have seen very few driveways that can't be entered at enough of an angle to avoid scraping the front air dam. If it scrapes then try going in at even more of an angle.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:14 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeMaster
Uhm no, the OP is bothered by the fact it scrapes and wants it out not to hear the noise. It has been already pointed out several times that the air dam is there to improve aerodynamics, specifically to reduce the front lift and on top of it, it is a good idea to leave it on as an early warning system against scraping the bumper itself. Seems like you are mocking something you do not understand, aerodynamics specifically.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:11 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by okie08vette
I would not because they direct air up to the radiator but have no experience with removing them. Have you though about this product, don't know if it really works or not but if the scraping is that bad it may be worth a try.
http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...-3-pc-set.aspx
Hi... Yes I did consider the gutter ramp but unfortunately my problem occurs not there but three feet further up at just about where the sidewalk meets my driveway and the driveway starts climbing at 7 degrees... When that happens the rear tires are still well out in the street and they are still up on the "hump" if you will of the street... So the rear is up while the nose and air dam are starting to try to dig into the up sloping driveway but the street gutter is actually under the middle of the car when all this happens... What I do is turn sharply into or out of the driveway and that minimizes how high the rear tires get out in the street... I did copious tests on a borrowed GS and even on my old car (Infiniti) by hanging paint stir sticks on the front of the Infiniti to simulate the corvette clearance... Not as good as when I brought the real GS over but it all helped... It's doable just not trivial... thanks... bob...
Old 04-14-2012, 01:54 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Originally Posted by diitto
What did other folks who removed their side air dam panels do about the clips?
I just left the clips on.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:56 PM
scootertrash19
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-15-2012, 04:32 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scootertrash19
This is your driveway? You will scrape even with a hummer I would consider getting helper wheels/protectors upfront and keep the air dam no matter what.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:22 PM
bugsas99
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that is just crazy. and you are worried about vette scraping on that driveway.????
Old 04-15-2012, 07:43 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

That pic's been around for a while.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:56 PM
Shomp
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed the two side pieces, took the one in the middle off and bent it on a 45 degree angle to scoop the air to the radiator. No problems, never scrapes. I guess you need the two side pieces at 150 miles per hour for aerodynamics. I also ride beauty queens in parades never gets hot.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I remove Air Dam side pieces??

Old 03-19-2019, 11:59 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by diitto
Did you also remove the clips through which the six screws (three per side) attach??? The clips are certainly movable but they don't seem to come out easily... I took my two side panels off tonight and will store them, the side screws and the two push pins away for at least a while. Do you think I should also try to remove the clips or might that get me into something I should instead just leave alone?? What did other folks who removed their side air dam panels do about the clips???

thanks... bob..
I removed my on my 08 many years ago...No change in coolant temp and since i don't tract my car no brake cooling needed.I left the clips in and they are still there....No need to remove them.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:49 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Back from the dead.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:44 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Shomp
I removed the two side pieces, took the one in the middle off and bent it on a 45 degree angle to scoop the air to the radiator. No problems, never scrapes. I guess you need the two side pieces at 150 miles per hour for aerodynamics. I also ride beauty queens in parades never gets hot.
Welcome to the forum.

One quick tip. When you search for some subject, check the date of the last post. If it's more than 6 months old, you'll get better responses by starting a new thread, rather than adding to the old one.
The following users liked this post:
Shomp (03-20-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I remove Air Dam side pieces??