C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are there Not any tire problems with Base C6's, but there are with Grand Sports

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 03:17 PM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Why are there Not any tire problems with Base C6's, but there are with Grand Sports

Meaning Premature Tire wear and alignment problems ?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Grant Elis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not consider 14000 miles a problem as far as wear on a sticky tire. I ride motorcycles and the stickier the tire the shorter the life. A touring tire gets around 10000 miles on a motorcycle while a soft performance tire gets maybe 6000. Just to give an idea of the difference. You can put a harder rubber compound on a Vette but remember you WILL lose cornering performance!! It's a trade off. Always has been always will.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:33 PM
anotherone
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the tires on my gs have been lousy from minute one. Couldnt even make it home ; had to turn around and they took four off another gs. Never could get a ride with no shaking and now with 12k I need tires. I also drive very conservatively , no burn outs! They just keep finding tires that dont meet specs. Replacement tires wont be goodyear!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:38 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

You paid for the extra cost buy purchasing extra expensive options. This is why the base model is usually the best for most consumers.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

it's a good question. prior to the GS, i dont remember this many threads on factory tires.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

The GS has performance tires. Performance tires wear out much faster. We all knew this when we bought our Grand Sports. Thread after thread complaining about GS tire wear is very amusing to me.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:01 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Gen2's are treadwear 220. Only tire I have showing abnormal wear is the left front from track days. Damn right hand turns.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:16 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raazor
it's a good question. prior to the GS, i dont remember this many threads on factory tires.
The Z06 and ZR1 owners are less concerned about mileage as they paid a large premium for significantly increased performance.

With it's auto trans and removable top, the average GS buyer is coming from a different perspective.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:29 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

more aggressive alignment
Old 04-15-2012, 04:32 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by anotherone
the tires on my gs have been lousy from minute one. Couldnt even make it home ; had to turn around and they took four off another gs. Never could get a ride with no shaking and now with 12k I need tires. I also drive very conservatively , no burn outs! They just keep finding tires that dont meet specs. Replacement tires wont be goodyear!!!!!!!!!!!
sounds like you had a bad tire and a stupid a$$ for a dealer that couldn't figure that out.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:33 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I ditched my run craps when I put after market rims on at 4k and now I have quieter better gripping tires, also non run flats

Ours is a base vette.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:43 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01VETTECOP
Meaning Premature Tire wear and alignment problems ?
You have one? GS is advertised as track car with improved handling and grip. Ooops, you forgot to realize nothing comes free and your aggressive camber and high traction traction result in premature tire wear? Buyer beware I guess... Cannot have the cake and eat it
Old 04-15-2012, 05:07 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Seriously, this is also a potential issue for Z06 / ZR1, but they are not whining about it. I owned a C6 Z06 for 3 years, and I did not whine about it. I guess the problem is that since GS is much more affordable, some bought it only for its looks, etc., and did not consider any compromises they are getting into with their purchase. Yes, I am trying to say "quit whining" My fear is that GM listens to these whiners and messes it up soup next time GS model is out (for C7).
Old 04-15-2012, 05:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozer
Seriously, this is also a potential issue for Z06 / ZR1, but they are not whining about it. I owned a C6 Z06 for 3 years, and I did not whine about it. I guess the problem is that since GS is much more affordable, some bought it only for its looks, etc., and did not consider any compromises they are getting into with their purchase. Yes, I am trying to say "quit whining" My fear is that GM listens to these whiners and messes it up soup next time GS model is out (for C7).
The exact same tires that are on the GS came as OE on my Z06 and I'm guessing the same alignment also. I got 12,500 miles out of my OE tires with about 50% tread life remaining, except for the right front tire. I knocked the alignment out hitting a raised bridge deck, thanks to the Kentucky highway dept that scraped the asphalt down but did not put in any temperary ramps. If I had not knocked the front toe out, I would have gotten 20,000 miles easy out of that set. I now have the Bridgestone RE050A runflats and with ~5,000 miles on them I have ~85% tread left. And that's with running high speeds at Talledega and running the Dragon hard plus other twisties. When I installed the Bridgestones I had the camber set at -.9(was at -1.1) and the toe(front and rear) set at zero.

I don't like to spend money on tires anymore then the next guy, but you gotta pay to play, as they say.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-15-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:29 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Agreed, maybe C7 will include a widebody LOOKS ONLY option for the street user?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:04 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

A Z06 might be justified with a very aggressive alignment, but not a GS. Yes, more aggressive than a coupe, but not like a Z06. THAT is why most of us bought a GS. The problem is GM's ridiculous alignment tolerances. Camber can go from +0.2 to -1.1, which is pretty extreme. And that's what most of us seem to have. I haven't checked it yet (only 300 miles), but from the rear it's obvious they're at or near the max. The 0.45 'base' figure is what they should have IMO, which is aggressive, but not over the top. If somebody is going to exclusively track their car, then THEY're the ones who should change the alignment accordingly. Not the rest of us, who bought the car for spirited driving, not tracking. Main performance reason to buy the GS in my case was the brakes, suspension tuning, differential cooler (gets pretty hot in TX), dry-sump engine, and battery in the trunk. And looks too, especially wheel design, although wish we had less aggressive widths (again, in-between coupe and Z06), since they're not really needed with only 436HP. And we're carrying a lot more unsprung weight in vain IMO. But great car otherwise. Bottom line is GM puts those ridiculous specs to never be out of spec. And it's the luck of the draw if car will be at the extreme or not.

And yes, it's a legitimate problem, not 'whining'. Geez. The good news is it's an alignment away from fixing it. We just have to deal with it sooner rather than later. That reminds me to buy a tire gauge to catch excessive wear before it become obvious. Have a good one.

Last edited by JCtx; 04-15-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:09 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
A Z06 might be justified with a very aggressive alignment, but not a GS. Yes, more aggressive than a coupe, but not like a Z06. THAT is why most of us bought a GS. The problem is GM's ridiculous alignment tolerances. Camber can go from +0.2 to -1.1, which is pretty extreme. And that's what most of us seem to have. I haven't checked it yet (only 300 miles), but from the rear it's obvious they're at or near the max. The 0.45 'base' figure is what they should have IMO, which is aggressive, but not over the top. If somebody is going to exclusively track their car, then THEY're the ones who should change the alignment accordingly. Not the rest of us, who bought the car for spirited driving, not tracking. Main performance reason to buy the GS in my case was the brakes, differential cooler (gets pretty hot in TX), dry-sump engine, and battery in the trunk. And looks too, although wish we had less aggressive tires (again, in-between coupe and Z06), since they're not really needed with only 436HP. And we're carrying a lot more unsprung weight in vain IMO. But great car otherwise. Bottom line is GM puts those ridiculous specs to never be out of spec. And it's the luck of the draw if car will be at the extreme or not.
Alignment specs are a joke for any vettes to be fair, however, the results are more immediate with more aggressive compound and alignment, thus, the price GS owners pay... I saw the printout of my alignment and how much it was out in the rear, do I feel the car handles better now? Not really... the steering wheel is centered though, for now.

Get notified of new replies

To Why are there Not any tire problems with Base C6's, but there are with Grand Sports

Old 04-15-2012, 06:15 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

All the changes you're asking for would make the GS lose to pretty much every other car it's competing against. As petermj well put it, perhaps we should indeed have a model for looks only, and another model that also comes with the performance enhancements (like coolers, dry sump, better brakes, ducting, suspension, wider tires, etc.). Unlike what you stated, I bought GS for street/track duty, not just street, since it is one of the best bangs for the buck for track duty, and 436 HP is more than enough to lose grip even with the stickiest tires.

FYI, my alignment for the fronts are set at -1.4, which I think is a good compromise between street and road course use. Driving a Corvette with no negative camber would be just inconceivable, and sounds even dangerous to me.

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
A Z06 might be justified with a very aggressive alignment, but not a GS. Yes, more aggressive than a coupe, but not like a Z06. THAT is why most of us bought a GS. The problem is GM's ridiculous alignment tolerances. Camber can go from +0.2 to -1.1, which is pretty extreme. And that's what most of us seem to have. I haven't checked it yet (only 300 miles), but from the rear it's obvious they're at or near the max. The 0.45 'base' figure is what they should have IMO, which is aggressive, but not over the top. If somebody is going to exclusively track their car, then THEY're the ones who should change the alignment accordingly. Not the rest of us, who bought the car for spirited driving, not tracking. Main performance reason to buy the GS in my case was the brakes, differential cooler (gets pretty hot in TX), dry-sump engine, and battery in the trunk. And looks too, although wish we had less aggressive tires (again, in-between coupe and Z06), since they're not really needed with only 436HP. And we're carrying a lot more unsprung weight in vain IMO. But great car otherwise. Bottom line is GM puts those ridiculous specs to never be out of spec. And it's the luck of the draw if car will be at the extreme or not.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We went through 2 1/2 sets of Supercar tires on our Z51 C6, and got about 20,000 miles on each set. The alignment settings were moderate, but I don't slow down much for corners.

Given similar conditions, a set of GS Supercars should last about the same number of miles.

I suspect the GS alignment problem is not so much that it's aggressive, but that it isn't set correctly at the factory. Or changes as the car gets a few miles.
We have bought 2001, 2006, 2009 coupes, had the alignment checked on each car within the first thousand miles and each was out of the wide factory specs even at that point.

Yesterday I looked at prices on Tire Rack, a set of Michelin PS2 runflats were about $1,400 for a base car and $2,100 for a GS.

The GS is a great car for people who understand the tradeoffs, but most customers don't. In their typical "Get the money today and don't worry about tomorrow" style, GM has done little or nothing to help prospective buyers know what they are getting into.
Legal? Yes. Smart? No
Old 04-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

All the changes you're asking for would make the GS lose to pretty much every other car it's competing against. As petermj well put it, perhaps we should indeed have a model for looks only, and another model that also comes with the performance enhancements (like coolers, dry sump, better brakes, ducting, suspension, wider tires, etc.). Unlike what you stated, I bought GS for street/track duty, not just street, since it is one of the best bangs for the buck for track duty, and 436 HP is more than enough to lose grip even with the stickiest tires.

FYI, my alignment for the fronts are set at -1.4, which I think is a good compromise between street and road course use. Driving a Corvette with no negative camber would be just inconceivable, and sounds even dangerous to me.
Our 2006 got set to 0 camber 0 toe after an accident, I even autocrossed it that way and it felt quite normal. Cornering limits were lower, of course, but I simply posted slower times until it got corrected.

Quick Reply: Why are there Not any tire problems with Base C6's, but there are with Grand Sports