C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Johnny O'Connell Stage 1 Signature Series Suspension Kits - C6

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Default Johnny O'Connell Stage 1 Signature Series Suspension Kits - C6

Johnny O'Connell
Stage 1
Signature Series Suspension Kits

Looking for the most bang for the buck in your Corvette Suspension
Upgrade, then look no further than the the Johnny O'Connell Stage 1
Suspension Kit.

This kit comes with everything you need to Upgrade your Corvettes
Suspension to track level performance, while still keeping the drivablilty
of a street car. Upgrading these components will give your Corvette
a better balanced, better performing and more easily managed
suspension on the street as well as the track.

Each Kit Includes:
- (4) Tuned Johnny O'Connell Shocks
- (F/R) Johnny O'Connell Sway Bars
- Upgraded Sway Bar End Links
- (4) Sway Bar Bushings

Get your Stage 1 Package
with

CCA
Johnny O'Connell Stage 1 Corvette Suspension Package

Regards
Chip

Attached Images     

Last edited by CCA Corvette Parts; 01-13-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Anybody on the fence should just do this. Made my base model Vette into a whole new car. Very predictable on a road course and comfortable enough for daily driving. Even on rougher roads.
The following users liked this post:
Hepcat (09-18-2019)
Old 04-20-2012, 02:39 PM
CCA Corvette Parts

Originally Posted by jon6.0
Anybody on the fence should just do this. Made my base model Vette into a whole new car. Very predictable on a road course and comfortable enough for daily driving. Even on rougher roads.
Thanks for the post

Peace
Chip
Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 AM
gqllc007
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does the factory Z51 suspension compare to this kit?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 AM
CCA Corvette Parts

Originally Posted by gqllc007
How does the factory Z51 suspension compare to this kit?
This will be firmer and have a more tuned feel.

It will flatten out the body roll.

The car will act more predictable and controllable

The shocks and sway bars are tuned together so it
works well for both the street and light track use.

Peace
Chip

Last edited by CCA Corvette Parts; 05-01-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:56 AM
gqllc007
Advanced

Originally Posted by CCA Corvette Parts
This will be firmer and have a more tuned feel.

It will flatten out the body roll.

The car will act more predictable and controllable

The shocks and sway bars are tuned together so it
works well for both the street and light track use.

Peace
Chip
Thanks...I would be interested in hearing from other Z51 owners who went to this mod...
Steve
Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

i bought the stage one two weeks ago for my '12 coupe. i just installed the bars for now as i wanted to see the performance increase(or decrease) in each stage of the mod. the front stock bar is like a little toy compared to the JOC bar, as the JOC bar is alot bigger, beefier and alot heavier to the tune of 12lbs. the rear bar is a little bigger than stock and i have it set in the middle position. the car stays flatter in turns and i noticed a little better steering response, not much but it is there. all & all just the sways are a nice little mod with decent performance and i will try to give a little more input when i install the shocks next week and then i can see how the two mods perform together and what additional benefit(if any) the new shocks (along with the new sways) will provide.
BTW im a big believer in the non placebo effect. just because i spend a 1000 bucks on sways and shocks im not tricking my mind into thinking WOW what a difference, been there done that. if the performance IS better then i will feel it and so far so good.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by red2012
i bought the stage one two weeks ago for my '12 coupe. i just installed the bars for now as i wanted to see the performance increase(or decrease) in each stage of the mod. the front stock bar is like a little toy compared to the JOC bar, as the JOC bar is alot bigger, beefier and alot heavier to the tune of 12lbs. the rear bar is a little bigger than stock and i have it set in the middle position. the car stays flatter in turns and i noticed a little better steering response, not much but it is there. all & all just the sways are a nice little mod with decent performance and i will try to give a little more input when i install the shocks next week and then i can see how the two mods perform together and what additional benefit(if any) the new shocks (along with the new sways) will provide.
BTW im a big believer in the non placebo effect. just because i spend a 1000 bucks on sways and shocks im not tricking my mind into thinking WOW what a difference, been there done that. if the performance IS better then i will feel it and so far so good.
You will be very surprised with the shocks. I went from base to JOC also and it is noticeably firmer than stock and handles bumps mid corner with ease.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I did the same thing with my 2000 FRC. Added the bars first, drove it for a week then put the shocks on. Like others have mentioned, the shocks are stiff and does make the car ride harder but it really handles bumps well. I did have a chance to test it out at Road America last fall and I like it. Can't wait to get it on a shorter technical track later this month.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:24 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I love this product but I wish the bars were a different color. I don't know how yellow would look on red. My friend had them on his silver C6 and I wasn't too crazy about them. Any word on if they are designing a black version with maybe yellow writing?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:35 AM
CCA Corvette Parts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I love this product but I wish the bars were a different color. I don't know how yellow would look on red. My friend had them on his silver C6 and I wasn't too crazy about them. Any word on if they are designing a black version with maybe yellow writing?
No plans that I am aware of.

You can always have them powder coated for about $35 bucks

Peace
Chip
Old 05-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

I also wonder how this package compares with a Z51 equiped car. My car is actually pretty stiff already and handles roll pretty well. The biggest issue i see is the dreaded wheel hop during cornering on uneven surfaces.

The color is also a factor give my black car but i might be able to deal with that. It's not like the bars are that visible.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:41 PM
CCA Corvette Parts

Originally Posted by Mrc100
I also wonder how this package compares with a Z51 equiped car. My car is actually pretty stiff already and handles roll pretty well. The biggest issue i see is the dreaded wheel hop during cornering on uneven surfaces.

The color is also a factor give my black car but i might be able to deal with that. It's not like the bars are that visible.
The R&D provided to make a very stable set up.

While road surfaces and tire compound play a big part in wheel hop,
you should see some improvement.

Peace
Chip
Old 05-09-2012, 12:48 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
i just put them on my torch red "12 coupe. how's the look? hmmmmm.
not bad but i would have preferred red to match the car but my mechanic had a free bay the day i got the kit so he rushed me to put them on before i could have them painted(he is a good friend and great mechanic and does not charge me for little stuff like this so i didn't complain). but the bars do work very well; next up, installing the shocks probably next week.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:17 PM
red2012
Safety Car

i just put them on my torch red "12 coupe. how's the look? hmmmmm.
not bad but i would have preferred red to match the car but my mechanic had a free bay the day i got the kit so he rushed me to put them on before i could have them painted(he is a good friend and great mechanic and does not charge me for little stuff like this so i didn't complain). but the bars do work very well; next up, installing the shocks probably next week.
well i just installed the shocks today to complete the JOC package and i can tell you they really compliment the sways. the ride is stiffer but not harsh corners even more flatter than just the sways and definitely more stable with better steering response. a great package at any price. well worth the money. PDFAT definitely got it right with this one.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:42 PM
CCA Corvette Parts

well i just installed the shocks today to complete the JOC package and i can tell you they really compliment the sways. the ride is stiffer but not harsh corners even more flatter than just the sways and definitely more stable with better steering response. a great package at any price. well worth the money. PDFAT definitely got it right with this one.
Tks for the post Ron

Peace
Chip
Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

I just ran Devil's Hwy(Hwy 191 in Arizona) with a few other C5's that all had stock suspension. A few of the corners that were washboard caused them to step out a little. I never had that problem and I was leading the group by a good margin. It was mostly a 25-35mph marked road and very twisty.

Get notified of new replies

To Johnny O'Connell Stage 1 Signature Series Suspension Kits - C6

Old 05-16-2012, 11:05 AM
CCA Corvette Parts

Originally Posted by jon6.0
I just ran Devil's Hwy(Hwy 191 in Arizona) with a few other C5's that all had stock suspension. A few of the corners that were washboard caused them to step out a little. I never had that problem and I was leading the group by a good margin. It was mostly a 25-35mph marked road and very twisty.
Tks for the review

Peace
Chip
Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 PM
CCA Corvette Parts

All current orders are OTD

Peace
Chip
Old 06-15-2012, 07:20 PM
pntrackman
Navigator

Originally Posted by gqllc007
Thanks...I would be interested in hearing from other Z51 owners who went to this mod...
Steve
2005 Z51 that now has the JOC Stage 1. Long time Porsche 911 C4S owner and PCA HPDE Instructor who recently went to the "dark side" in PCA HPDE events with a C6 that I had the JOC Stage 1 done to before going to a 3-day HPDE last weekend at NJMP Lightning that included five hours of open track time for advanced drivers.

Best $1,000 I have ever spent on a car. For the track the ability to corner flatter and noticeably less dive on high speed track braking while still having comfortable street driving is pretty amazing.

Car feels slightly firmer on the street while noticeably better on the track. An absolute bargain compared to the $5K plus for the Bilstein PSSS9 I had on my last P-car that was then to stiff on the street on the softest setting.

If you're just going to street drive your car I wouldn't spend the money as the stock Z51 suspension works fine because there is only so much you can push your car on the street when you can't use the entire road due to the possibility of traffic coming the opposite way. If you're going to do both I can highly recommend the JOC Stage 1. Since I am going to continue to use this car on the street and not turn it into a track only car I specifically wanted a suspension set up that would provide acceptable performance on the track while still being comfortable on the street. It proved to be way more than "acceptable" on the track while only being mildly firmer on the street.

Hat's off to Pfadt and Johnny O'Connell on the development / tuning of the shocks and sway bars - they hit the mark for what they were trying to provide. I was a little skeptical at first, but I'm a believer now.

Quick Reply: Johnny O'Connell Stage 1 Signature Series Suspension Kits - C6