C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there any mods that really hurt resale value of C6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:27 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are there any mods that really hurt resale value of C6?

I do not think any really increase the value and surve mainly for enjoyment of the owner but what are the mods that turn majority of buyers away? I do not consider salvage title a mod
Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

A hitch for a trailer.
A 3" lift kit.
Repainted to a nice shade of Barbie pink.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:56 PM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the items , that are NOT deal breakers are exhaust , and rims. After that most people want a car as close to stock as possible.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:57 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

I would shy away from anything not stock. I want to do my own mods.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:02 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Well, when I was searching for a previously-owned Vette, if I saw any engine mods listed, I knew that it was not for me. Couldn't shake the feeling that with all those mods, either it had been beaten to death or they'd gone wrong and somebody was trying to unload it on an unsuspecting buyer.

I know, I know, probably most of the guys who mod their engines are careful drivers and don't beat the cars to death. But still.....ya never know for sure.

Ended up with a like-new coupe on which the owner had installed the Corsa catback exhaust system w/x-pipe. I had no problem with this because that's the same mod I'd had on my C5.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by boraxman
I would shy away from anything not stock. I want to do my own mods.
boraxman, what if the private seller has all the paperwork for the parts, and labor, of all the mod's done to his car and the parts were bought from known CF vendors and the labor was done by a reputable shop? Or would you not look at a private seller Corvette unless it was stock??
Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
I do not think any really increase the value and surve mainly for enjoyment of the owner but what are the mods that turn majority of buyers away? I do not consider salvage title a mod
I'd say most mods don't necessarily decrease value but I would say that they may narrow the market for resale.

And I'd also say that a quality set of wheels can increase the value somewhat. There's no denying a nice set of forged wheels.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Anything that might void the warranty tends to decrease the value of the car, by anything from 1% to 100% depending on the prospective buyer.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:22 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Mach2
boraxman, what if the private seller has all the paperwork for the parts, and labor, of all the mod's done to his car and the parts were bought from known CF vendors and the labor was done by a reputable shop? Or would you not look at a private seller Corvette unless it was stock??
I guess it would depend on how it was priced, I sure wouldnt pay any extra and if it wasnt to my taste I definitely would pass.

I prefer a car as close to stock as possible. I was lucky finding my former 06 GTO and my current Vette without one thing done to them.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:34 PM
DallasZ06*
Instructor

As long as it's not something that would void a warranty, I consider it a plus (exhaust, intake, etc). Any engine or tuning I run.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasZ06*
As long as it's not something that would void a warranty, I consider it a plus (exhaust, intake, etc). Any engine or tuning I run.
If your servicing dealer chooses to get "picky" any aftermarket intake "could" void the warranty.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:56 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Mods to the body of the car, the motor and tunes that kill the warranty are the top resale killers for most buyers.

Any of the above and I will not buy the car no matter how cheap they will sell it. I have bought around 25 vettes over the years and other than one C5 that had B&B Route 66 mufflers and an after market stereo head unit they have all been without exception bone stock.

Simple things like air intake filters, wheels, simple exhaust, simple audio and the like that can be reversed very simply are not bad for resale as long as the original items are included with the car sale. If they are not I deduct the cost of buying the necessary items and the labor to install them.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KABAL182
I think the items , that are NOT deal breakers are exhaust , and rims. After that most people want a car as close to stock as possible.
I would add tinted windows to that list but not sure I agree with exhaust. After market exhaust could substantially reduce pool of potential buyers.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:04 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any mod I don't like! Seriously, mods are so personal, the more it has the less likely I will want the car.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:07 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by designerRob
I'd say most mods don't necessarily decrease value but I would say that they may narrow the market for resale.

And I'd also say that a quality set of wheels can increase the value somewhat. There's no denying a nice set of forged wheels.
If the car becomes much harder to sell, isn't this effectively a decrease in value? I personally think that anything that can be easily removed before sale and then resold, is a good mod. I am not sure how supercharging/turbocharging affect the value, if the car is under warranty and mod voids the warranty, I think the car value goes down... Even rims, if lower profile tires are used, may create problems.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

Supercharger
Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

If it doesn't effect the engine (intake, headers, and any so-called "tunes" etc.) drive line, or suspension (like lowering) I don't think it decreases car value much, unless of course it is in poor taste/illegal like blackening out lights and windows, look at me wheels, aftermarket exhausts, or other ill-advised Joe Six-pck mods.

Get notified of new replies

To Are there any mods that really hurt resale value of C6?

Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by DSOMC6

A hitch for a trailer.

A 3" lift kit.

Repainted to a nice shade of Barbie Pink.
I would have to agree that the pink paint job would make the Corvette very hard to sell.

But, a supercharger or a turbo kit would be almost as tough to sell ... As much as we all like high HP, how many of us are wiling to buy an expensive late model C6 with an aftermarket supercharger when we don't even know who the last owner was, or the hell the car had been through by the previous owner ... Just something to think about when you get the urge to pluck down $7,000 plus for a supercharger kit.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:42 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by laconiajack
If it doesn't effect the engine (intake, headers, and any so-called "tunes" etc.) drive line, or suspension (like lowering) I don't think it decreases car value much, unless of course it is in poor taste/illegal like blackening out lights and windows, look at me wheels, aftermarket exhausts, or other ill-advised Joe Six-pck mods.
widebody conversions? ground effects?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Just Buy It
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

IMHO, I would not MOD the car if you are concerned about the resale value. Is anyone really looking for a moded out C6? If you went to look for a C6 and it had all kinds of crazy mods you would walk away. If you want to mod it for yourself then fine and enjoy it. You will never get any mod money back on a resale of any car. I see guys with super charged C6's pumping 700 HP and ask why? If you want to drag race it fine. If you want to lose the 7K you dumped in to it when you try to sell it thats fine too. Its not a Corvette thing. Its a moded car thing. We all know you never get your money back from a mod.

Quick Reply: Are there any mods that really hurt resale value of C6?