C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kids and Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:22 AM
gee350z1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids and Corvettes

The other day i stopped to get some ice cream at the local Dairy Maid. While waiting to get served i saw a group of kids just hanging around my car admiring it but they were so close to my car i had to run outside and ask them to step back. The worse part was their parents that brought them there would not say a word to them. Then i look like the guy thats too paranoid about his precious car. I remember when i was a kid if i was hanging all over someones posession and my mother was there i would have gotten my ears pulled and told to get away from the car.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:44 AM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i read your post and i thought you describing the town in nj that i work in...then i saw you were from nj and had to comment.

havent you figured out by now that with a generation who doesnt even respect their own parents, how are they supposed to respect others (or property).
Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I'm missing it, what exactly were they doing besides looking at your car. Were they leaning on it, touching it or just peeping at it up close.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by gee350z1
The other day i stopped to get some ice cream at the local Dairy Maid. While waiting to get served i saw a group of kids just hanging around my car admiring it but they were so close to my car i had to run outside and ask them to step back. The worse part was their parents that brought them there would not say a word to them. Then i look like the guy thats too paranoid about his precious car. I remember when i was a kid if i was hanging all over someones posession and my mother was there i would have gotten my ears pulled and told to get away from the car.
Hard to say what I would have done because I was not there and it was not my car.

But maybe, if you'd taken a minute to show them the engine bay and just talk to them a little about it, you'd have been a hero in their eyes instead of as you describe yourself, the guy that's too paranoid about his precious car.

Just sayin'...
Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 AM
blackonblack2011
Racer

Originally Posted by Red Racer
Hard to say what I would have done because I was not there and it was not my car.

But maybe, if you'd taken a minute to show them the engine bay and just talk to them a little about it, you'd have been a hero in their eyes instead of as you describe yourself, the guy that's too paranoid about his precious car.

Just sayin'...
well said.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:07 AM
gee350z1
Instructor

Originally Posted by dvilin
I'm missing it, what exactly were they doing besides looking at your car. Were they leaning on it, touching it or just peeping at it up close.
One of them was running his finger over the clear bra on the front of the hood.Guess they noticed it and wanted to see what it was. Im not saying he was ripping it off the car but i dont like that. I have had adults do the same thing also. They see the film get a little closer then start feeling it to see what it is. i prefe for people to keep their hands to themselves thats all. Blame my mother for teaching me that. Hey and if you feel comfortable with a group of kids crowding your ride well more power to you.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If the kids weren't touching the car what's the problem? With respect to other people's property my parents raised me to "look...don't touch." From what you describe I don't fault the kid's parents for anything. Instead of rushing out to shoo the kids away I would have opened up the car and invited them to sit inside.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:10 AM
gee350z1
Instructor

Originally Posted by child_of_fire
i read your post and i thought you describing the town in nj that i work in...then i saw you were from nj and had to comment.

havent you figured out by now that with a generation who doesnt even respect their own parents, how are they supposed to respect others (or property).
Yes i live in Dover NJ where no one respects your property. My girlfriend has 2 boys and i make sure i teach them to keep proper distance from peoples property because they like to get close and touch also.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:26 AM
P0234
Pro

Any respectable parent would tell their kids to stay back, and especially not to touch your car. Its natural for kids to be curious, but they also need to know what is theirs and what isn't.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:34 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Damn parents these days....

Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 AM
gee350z1
Instructor

Originally Posted by LFZ

now thats funny
Old 04-24-2012, 11:42 AM
gee350z1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wayne O
If the kids weren't touching the car what's the problem? With respect to other people's property my parents raised me to "look...don't touch." From what you describe I don't fault the kid's parents for anything. Instead of rushing out to shoo the kids away I would have opened up the car and invited them to sit inside.
These kids were not my neighborhood kids. sometimes you want to do the noble thing but sometimes you get burned being that way. How do you get a group of kids who are strangers to me to cooperate in an orderly fashion while you give them the tour inside and out. sorry bro it was easier to just get outta there like i did. But i know what you're saying
Old 04-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

This is a toss up for me. If you look at the post entitled, "parking" I said how I feel about protecting my car. I would have been leary about this too and I would have gone out there after I got my ice cream and talked with them- while being nice about it. Their parents should have told them not to touch the car. On the other hand, kids want to "touch things" when they look at them. I probably would have talked with them nicely while asking them not to touch it. One of my best buddies always likes to look at my cars. But I notice he always has his hands all over it- getting his fingerprints everywhere. Then he'll lean on it with his hand while he talks with me......... I can let that slide. But when a guy goes out of his way to tick me off, he's telling you he wants to take it to the next level.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LFZ

This is a mistake, too. It's funny now, but wait until he and three of his buddies get into the garage when no one is around and they all do it while they scratch up the car. Then who's at fault?
Old 04-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Roush
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

That red Corvette is sweet. (the kid is alright too)
Old 04-24-2012, 12:23 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I get so sick of hearing how much better parents were in "the ole days". If the "greatest generation" raised today's awful parents, then it is obvious that they sucked at being parents too!

What I really see are a bunch of car owners who are so uptight they can't even allow kids close to their cars without running outside all freaked out. What happens when you aren't around it? Why even take it out in public if you are that freaked out? What do you think these kids will remember, the cool car or the old panicked dude?

And don't tell me it is a cost issue. There are plenty of pickups/suvs that cost as much as a Vette, yet they get beat up on a daily basis. Chill out...
Old 04-24-2012, 12:24 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by J Willis
This is a mistake, too. It's funny now, but wait until he and three of his buddies get into the garage when no one is around and they all do it while they scratch up the car. Then who's at fault?
Most likely his buddies will have more brains than his uncle...

Get notified of new replies

To Kids and Corvettes

Old 04-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Roush
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by LFZ
Most likely his buddies will have more brains than his uncle...
We can only hope
Old 04-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I get so sick of hearing how much better parents were in "the ole days". If the "greatest generation" raised today's awful parents, then it is obvious that they sucked at being parents too!

What I really see are a bunch of car owners who are so uptight they can't even allow kids close to their cars without running outside all freaked out. What happens when you aren't around it? Why even take it out in public if you are that freaked out? What do you think these kids will remember, the cool car or the old panicked dude?

And don't tell me it is a cost issue. There are plenty of pickups/suvs that cost as much as a Vette, yet they get beat up on a daily basis. Chill out...
You are right in one sense. I don't want to act like a crazed ol' man who jumps on some kid for looking at my cars. I love having kids interested in my cars and I enjoy showing them to the kids.......(paragraph)...... But let me ask you this: If you go to a car show, do you lean on people's show cars or touch them and get your fingerprints all over them? Do you notice at car shows that people park far enough away from each other so that they don't open the doors into the next car? Do you think of these people as "uptight"? .......(paragraph) Well, that's the way some of us feel about our cars that we have. Some of us have wanted something like this for a long time and have worked hard to get it. And we would prefer some clown didn't scratch/dent it all up because we were lax enough not to care......(paragraph) And another thing: Most pickup trucks and SUVs are made/bought to haul stuff in and will usually get torn up a lot faster than a Corvette. That's why people buy them. So, you are kind of comparing apples to oranges when you think of a pickup truck in the same way as a Corvette.

Last edited by Jimmy W1; 04-24-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gee350z1
It's the same everywhere ...

I recognize that!

Quick Reply: Kids and Corvettes