C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freaking Awesome, Someone Stole My Rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:03 PM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylor Pierce Apps
Nice so should I tell them it had Nittos or tell them it had stock run flats?
You tell the insurance company the truth in case the tires are recovered from the thieves.
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There are some pathetic people in the world.. and unfortunately your car met some of them. I know exactly how it feels to have your toy vandalized/theft by a stranger and its horrible feeling. Someone just broke the rear hatch window of my C6 on Easter Sunday that cost me $500 deductible to repair.

I dont know what it is.. that makes people think they can screw with someone else's possessions and get away with it. I truly hope those responsible for your (and mine) misfortune are caught and held accountable for it.. to the highest degree allowed. Hopefully it sends the message they need to keep their hands off what doesnt belong to them.
LionGS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me on my TBSS, boy do I hate that feeling.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:04 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Nice so should I tell them it had Nittos or tell them it had stock run flats?
Tell them the tires were stock. They're worth more, and you'll get less flak from the insurance company as compared to aftermarket parts. Many insurance companies try to nickel and dime you when you tell them you have parts that aren't factory stock.

Originally Posted by turbod
You tell the insurance company the truth in case the tires are recovered from the thieves.
GOOD POINT. I retract.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Taylor Pierce Apps
Instructor

Originally Posted by SDB_FTW
Tell them the tires were stock. They're worth more, and you'll get less flak from the insurance company as compared to aftermarket parts. Many insurance companies try to nickel and dime you when you tell them you have parts that aren't factory stock.

GOOD POINT. I retract.
Lets be honest. I feel there is a better chance of my tires being personally delivered to me by Jesus riding a Unicorn than the Police finding them.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:11 PM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
Damn bro my heart goes out for you and I hope you find the criminal and get your wheels back, and like you if I came upon my car being raped I would use my 40 mm
Whoa!!! 40mm... that's harsh!

I think the OP's .45 would be a better choice. Maybe even a .40 S&W SIG.

Last edited by HarleyB; 04-24-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:12 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Lets be honest. I feel there is a better chance of my tires being personally delivered to me by Jesus riding a Unicorn than the Police finding them.
TRUE , but it sure would suck to have the insurance wash their hands of it completely because you lied. Your Nittos aren't the cheapest tire out there, so the difference in cost might not be worth the risk...
Old 04-24-2012, 03:17 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Damn, terrible...Hope these thieves are caught!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Radioman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyB
Whoa!!! 40mm... that's harsh!

I think the OP's .45 would be a better choice. Maybe even a .40 S&W SIG.
Anything will a barrel and projectile will work IMO...
Old 04-24-2012, 03:27 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

This happened my cousins maxima and Chrysler 300 srt8... I'm surprised they went after the Vette though. Sorry this happened man. That's why we have insurance though!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:30 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by SDB_FTW

GOOD POINT. I retract.
I know you retracted so don't want to belabor, but for anyone reading for future use, these are tires -- not generally considered "aftermarket parts" Tires are a wear item and I'm guessing very few consumers replace with exact stock tires, this isn't like headers or other mods, the insurance company shouldn't have a problem with what tires were stolen, they will only want to know for defining value. And, not to be to soap-boxy, insurance is to make you whole, not try to get back more money than you lost.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:35 PM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

How did you get the car home or to a shop?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:53 PM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Don't forget to add the cost of the TPMS sensors for the insurance. They're about $250 for a set of 4 as well.

Now something that I have wondered about before:
Every TPMS sensor has a unique serialnumber, stored in the Vettes computer when you calibrated them.
Would there be a way to recover those 4 serialnumbers from the computer (by dealer,...) so that in case a set of wheels shows up somewhere that you think are yours, those serailnumbers can be matched to the physical sensors in the wheels as proof?

Sonny
Old 04-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Taylor Pierce Apps
Instructor

Originally Posted by Radioman
Anything will a barrel and projectile will work IMO...
Haha I saw 40mm and was like damn he's busting out the Thumper lol. CoD reference ..... Anyone?

Thank god the car is in my parking garage at my apt complex.

Funny story the landlord asked if I can move it, because it is now "an eye sore" I said sure thing Ill just go pick it up. lol
Old 04-24-2012, 04:04 PM
kthomas
Racer

Our Escalade loaner car from Crest had the wheels stolen one Friday night in far north Dallas. The caddy wouldn't fit in the garage w the Vette. The stole it all on a hill. It sucked. $500 out of my pocket.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:05 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

It's amazing that GM didn't put a shock or tilt sensor on this car. It should be standard on every Corvette made. Even my Firebird had one from the factory.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If my car is screwed with in any way it will call my phone and let me know, it also has a battery back up. When the phone calls I and going to check with my pistol. If I catch a person steeling my rims, radio, ash tray, etc I am going to send rounds down range as quick as I get the lazer on them. Would I take a human life over a car part, you can bet the house on it!

Get notified of new replies

To Freaking Awesome, Someone Stole My Rims

Old 04-24-2012, 04:09 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by z28lt1
I know you retracted so don't want to belabor, but for anyone reading for future use, these are tires -- not generally considered "aftermarket parts" Tires are a wear item and I'm guessing very few consumers replace with exact stock tires, this isn't like headers or other mods, the insurance company shouldn't have a problem with what tires were stolen, they will only want to know for defining value. And, not to be to soap-boxy, insurance is to make you whole, not try to get back more money than you lost.
I should have been more specific. I was referring to the tire sizes more than the brand. OP is running 355 tires. This is not a factory stock tire size, and some insurance companies don't like to pay for things like this when they can be significantly more expensive than the stock part, tires or otherwise. That's not the case in this instance, but the point remains.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:16 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

It was nice of them to protect your rocker panels. Most thieves just dump the car on the ground. They must like you for some reason.

Tom

Last edited by TCW; 04-24-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I don't think the insurance co is gonna care one way or the other what tires were on it truthfully. They offer replacement value and move on. We're not talking a $60,000 loss.

Sorry for the hassle for you though man, but maybe its a sign from the corvette gods to lose those ricer touches. The types that steal stuff like that are attracted to the Autozone accessory section to pimp their "rides" if ya get my drift.

Last edited by Zap City; 04-24-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Freaking Awesome, Someone Stole My Rims