C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual owners - Skip Shift Eliminator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 04:16 PM
2012CGS
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed the blown smart fuse last night on my 2012 GS.
Works for me.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
That is alot of trouble to you? Good lord.....for the FEW times it happens it is not a big deal. I CAN decide, for that 1 second extra of shift time you think it really matters? At that speed you are not racing so the amount of time lost means nothing. The other thing is that I can notice the light come on (even while watching the road) and give a little more gas and guess what home slice? I can shift in to 2nd.

Its not THAT critical/important to me to have the CAGS eliminator at this time and it may never be. My GTO I never put one in and my 94 Vette was bypassed. I can install one just fine thank you very much.

I have swapped engines, transmissions, rear ends, tore down engines....etc so I am sure that wouldnt be much of a task. I love how you imply that because people havent done it that they cant.
Yes, I know how to defeat CAGS with my right foot. And I know that the light does not come on that often. However, even you mention having to watch for the shift light. To me, over a period of years that IS more trouble than installing a CAGS elimination once and being done with it.

To each his own.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:13 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just my luck, the skip shift would activate exactly when I need to accelerate in an emergency situation...I used the blown LED fuse on my car when first got it 36,500 miles ago and it's worked flawlessly ever since.

I wonder if the lawyers ever thought of computer takeover in critical times when acceleration might be needed????
Old 04-29-2012, 11:16 AM
MotorCityPete
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just operated on my 2006 C6. I followed Craig Leres' excellent and easy-to-follow instructions. http://xse.com/leres/z06/cags.html Thanks, Craig. Even a caveman like me could do it.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by MotorCityPete
I just operated on my 2006 C6. I followed Craig Leres' excellent and easy-to-follow instructions. http://xse.com/leres/z06/cags.html Thanks, Craig. Even a caveman like me could do it.
Pete, I just did the same with a smart fuse, but the skip still takes over. Any idea what I did wrong? I can see that the smart fuse is blown.
PS I was just out at the Shell station, and a beautifull 56 was there.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:29 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy C-6
Pete, I just did the same with a smart fuse, but the skip still takes over. Any idea what I did wrong? I can see that the smart fuse is blown.

Those are the same instructions I used,, my light still comes on but it does not stop me from shifting to 2nd.

You put the blown smart fuse in right next to the 20amp fuse between the relays?

Last edited by hig4s; 04-29-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought one of these

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...rvette+c6+cags

shortly after buying my car. Only later then I learned about the smart fuse.

Best thing I have done to my car. Added one of the units on the transmission to the CTS-V. I don't understand all these hairy chested, "just drive it right" types, who don't see why anyone would want to disable the CAGS. Do you all run around town in traffic at high rev's just to sound racy?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:01 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Both the Camaro SS and the C6 have the CAGS eliminator installed. I never leave home with out it.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:04 PM
MotorCityPete
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Jimmy C-6
Jimmy, I am the opposite of an electrician, I merely poked a hole in a smart fuse with a tiny nail and hammer. Then I replaced the factory 10 amp fuse with my modified smart fuse. I started the motor and peered under the hood. The LED was glowing on the smart fuse, so I knew it was blown. Try reversing direction (flip the fuse around). Or repeat the procedure and modify a new fuse. Craig's website xse.com/leres has great photos and text.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:44 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by florida john
I bought one of these

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...rvette+c6+cags

shortly after buying my car. Only later then I learned about the smart fuse.

Best thing I have done to my car. Added one of the units on the transmission to the CTS-V. I don't understand all these hairy chested, "just drive it right" types, who don't see why anyone would want to disable the CAGS. Do you all run around town in traffic at high rev's just to sound racy?
Awe c'mon John. You know that shifting at 4,000 rpm vs. 2,000 rpm means your ***** is twice as big.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was the only mod the previous owner had done to my car. I had it also on the GTO I had prior but with the GTO if you just waited a split second you could shift into 2nd. Not sure if that is the case with the vette CAGS but I've never had to find out.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:08 PM
djoneser
Intermediate

CAGS eliminator installed by DEALER for me (obviously not warranty service)

Edit: I brought in the part.

Quick Reply: Manual owners - Skip Shift Eliminator?