C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Coupe OR Convetible, what to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:48 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LabShark
It is a personal preference issue. I like the lines of the coupe better and with the removable top - you have the best of both worlds.
You may have two different worlds, but far from the best!

A topless coupe vs a convertible with the top down? Puleeze
Old 04-25-2012, 07:00 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Attle
Thanks, I know you are right. But my goal is to learn from others before I buy. My last Vette was a 1967, and I had the hard top as well as the soft top. I test drove a 2012 coupe and was surprised about the huge blind spots. I'm sure I would adjust to it and use the mirrors. Still I wonder what members have to say about the differences in the two models as far as road noise, wind, radio play, and room for a small bag for weekend trips. I know I need to test drive a vert and plan to soon. Who knows what can be learned, so I asked.
If you think that the coupe has blind spots, I can assure you that the vert with the top up is worse. I have driven corvettes from 1954, and other sports cars along the way. Both coupes and verts.

Just look at the different window size. They both have the same side view mirrors. Adjust them as you like, but the straight back rear view is limmited because of the obvious difference in size.

I love the verts with the top down. Love the wind in my hair. Oops,forgot, now at 72, no hair!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
One thing surprised the hell out of me....The vert is actually much quieter inside the cabin than the coupe. The wall behind you in the vert dampens tire roar and road noise substantially. And yes, I own a coupe.
Ditto that.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 PM
RickintheOC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a brand new C6 Vert two weeks ago. My intent was to buy the coupe. With the top up on a Vert, it really isn't that noisy compared to the Coupe, so I was sold on it. I live in sunny Southern Cal, where you can have the top down year around. There is nothing like driving down the coast on a sunny day in my Vert. I am very happy with it. I really think that your region and type of weather you have can make the decision for you.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

This is like asking Blond or Brunette? I have owned 17 coupes, 1 hardtop, and 6 convertibles. For me it is when I find a color combo I like it doesn't matter coupe or convertible. I will say there is nothing like driving on a summer night with the top down!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
This is like asking Blond or Brunette? I have owned 17 coupes, 1 hardtop, and 6 convertibles. For me it is when I find a color combo I like it doesn't matter coupe or convertible. I will say there is nothing like driving on a summer night with the top down!!!
That, I will go for...Blond!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,986 Likes on 1,675 Posts

I've owned both (but my last three have been verts). The decision is simple:

Get a Vert: If you plan to enjoy the open air and sun frequently, don't mind the road and wind noise, and money is not an issue.

Get a Coupe: if you prefer a quieter ride, occasional top off rides, intend to track the car, and you want to watch what you spend.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Attle
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow

I really wanted to thank all of you for taking the time to reply. So many funny remarks too! I did glean some good information from everyone. I do not plan to drive on a track, but easily see why the coupe is best for that. Interesting to hear the base models are more streamlined and faster than the GS. This is my nice day, weekend car, not my DD. I still need to drive a vert, but I'm thinking that is for me.

I partner in a few cars (hot rods mostly) with my friend in Detroit. We have a 27 T turltedeck roadster. We had it in Autorama this past February, and I'll be driving it at the Detroit Dream Cruise in August this summer. I can't seem to explain to my girlfriend how much fun that car is to drive! You all know, the sound of those headers, the smells, the open air, nothin like it! Yeah, it will be a vert Vette for me. The heck with an overnight bag.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,986 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by TOBASCO
But if you want the flexibility of both, then a couple gives you that option.
By a "couple" do you mean Two Girls?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:46 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

very welcome. glad to see you joining the "roadster" club. and as to the overniter bag? good new: it'll fit!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:13 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Attle
Interesting to hear the base models are more streamlined and faster than the GS.

Thanks again everyone.
Yes.........interesting.....

And you'll have more room for luggage in a Vert with the top down than in a coupe with the roof panel stored in the back! It's nice to be able to put the top down on a trip.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:45 PM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

The vert. Cause you're "in the wind."

Downside: You will need a roll bar to track it (HPDEs)
Old 04-26-2012, 12:02 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by jon6.0
There are no blind spots with properly adjusted mirrors. Lean your head on the drivers window. Turn that mirror out until you can just barely see the side of the car. Next lean over toward the center of the car and adjust the passenger mirror the same. Now you will be able to see traffic coming up in your rear view and then blend into the side mirrors. As the vehicle image leaves the side mirror it will be right next to you in your peripheral vision.
Exactly how the highway patrol sets it's mirrors !

Quick Reply: C6 Coupe OR Convetible, what to buy