C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cosmetic advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 12:59 AM
inner3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cosmetic advice

My 05 should be coming out of the body shop in about a week now after getting the zr1 body kit and carbon fiber side skirts, front lip spoiler, and rear spoiler. (also z06 chrome wheels) I'm also doing a lot of carbon fiber pieces inside such as the bezel, under arm rest (not cushion, everything under that), the speedo instrument cluster, and "pork chop". Over the summer I will convert the engine bay, not sure what yet. (ideas on theme welcome...either carbon fiber or maybe red covers with skulls)
My car is Victory Red. I want one more mod for the body shop to add before leaving. Should I go with the carbon fiber rear diffuser which will almost not be seen by anyone, or the more in your face carbon fiber halo much like the real ZR1. Not putting badges on so not trying to pass the car off as the zr1, just like the body styling. But even though it would be great to spend the money for both diffuser and halo, I'd like to save some things for later. Just taking sort of a poll on what you all think the next step should be. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:23 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

diffuser It will tie in the skirts, lip, spoiler.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:37 PM
inner3
Pro

Good idea. Just found out that because the body shop waited to order the parts my stuff is on backorder. They had it monday but sold out that day, body shop called Tuesday instead of monday. Whatever. Just a backorder until May 21, so not so bad. I have time now to decide. I will also do the A-pillar pretty soon which is why I considered doing the halo now. But any one think about using the carbon fiber vinyl wrap on the diffuser? I saw some threads about this stuff before and of course people gripped. But it is used on hoods and trunks for show cars...that actually win so it looks good. Any thoughts if that could be a temporary option until I can buy a diffuser? Just can't throw down the cash right now, spent so much on everything else. I know some will complain and trash talk me, but it might look pretty good, then I could do the halo in CF because that is very exposed. Just thinking about 500-1000 dollars on something that is hardly seen, is it really as prominent as the halo?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:16 PM
inner3
Pro

Hmmm, found some posts about it possibly peeling so may avoid this idea. Plus the halo is tough to find I stock. May just go with the diffuser but want to avoid spending a ton if i can.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I did the rear diffuser first since it tied everything together, as the other forum member mentioned. A few months later I got the halo in CF along with the door handles.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:54 PM
inner3
Pro

Got a problem. The company I was going to get my halo from is stopping production. The store has a good relationship with them so they will make another for me so I need to move on this now before its too late. So the diffuser will have to wait. Still tempted to look at the vinyl, will read up on it tonight because so little of the diffuser is exposed. If you have the extra money its a great buy because it looks awesome, but I'm spending quite a bit and don't even have my car, almost two months in the shop. I may try out the vinyl on a couple of interior parts and see how it works. Thanks for not poo pooing on the vinyl idea, still may not do it. But before I pay for that I need to take care of the engine compartment and possibly a compartment door (under arm) that has python or gator skin. We shall see!

Get notified of new replies

To Cosmetic advice

Quick Reply: Cosmetic advice