C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Wonder Why Sirius is in Financial Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Default No Wonder Why Sirius is in Financial Trouble

I just purchased a new kenwood hu for my 08, which can receive Sirius, Pandora, and Aha. I tried emailing Sirius last night to sign up for a trial subscription.

I explained I had a new HU, not a new car. I got a response back saying that I needed to check with my automobile dealer to see if a trial subscription is available.

So, I get on Sirius live chat this morning to sign up, and according to the topic I had to choose to start the chat (Trial Subscription Eligibility). So I talk with one rep, who asks me if my kenwood dealer said anything about a trial. I said no.

Then he comes back with he didn't know if I was eligible for trial, and I would have to call customer service.

I was in the middle of writing a response, he cut me off and closed the chat, with his final words...call customer service now.

So, I was so pissed, I started another chat to voice my displeasure.
I get a new rep, and I copy and pasted my discussion with the first rep, saying that I was not done. He could not help me with a trial subscription. I told him that I wanted his supervisor to call me, and that no wonder they are in financial trouble if its this hard to get a trial subscription.

He told me to wait a minute, and asked if it was ok if he transferred our conversation to his supervisor (and I agreed that was ok).

He came back three minutes later.....asking if I could tell him what I wanted to discuss with the supervisor. I told him no, that this conversation and my comments needed to be conveyed by me to the supervisor.

He promptly closed the chat.

If its this hard to get a trial subscription, I can't imagine how hard it would be to resolve a billing dispute.

The new hu can also play pandora and Aha internet radio (via bluetooth). I am not fooling with Sirius anymore.

They can kiss my behind(the rated PG word).

Thought I would let everyone know the customer service experience I had with them (or not).
Old 04-25-2012, 12:04 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Chevy uses XM technology. Wouldn't a new HU still plug into the existing XM module? If so an 08 car used it's trial sub when it was purchased. I do agree they could have extended you a new trial & the cust service is terrible. I never joined when my trial ran out. I use a plug n play Sirius. Much happier with the Sirius division of company.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:13 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Do a search of xm issues. You will find that they are probably the worst run company around, the worst customer service. Of course you know that now but once my contracts run out with them they are history. Never have I been so frustrated with a companies customer service. Go elsewhere!
Old 04-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

They are in trouble regardless. With the popularity of smartphones, tablets, touchscreen NAV's, etc.. & fast mobile internet (3G/4G). Its only a matter of time before people stop paying monthly fees or signing annual contracts for subscription satellite radio & use free streaming music services instead.

I started using Pandora about 4 years ago and during that time you couldnt find a single car that offered Pandora streaming as OEM option. These days, half of the vehicles available have an OEM solution to stream Pandora. Considering media streaming (both audio & video) is only getting more popular by the day. Now the ESPN, iHeartRadio, Spotify, iTunes Cloud, etc are all online and available in several mobile solutions.. Its just a matter of time before these satellite radio companies all but disappear.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 04-25-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:19 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I dont know how, but my 2008 Z06 is still playing XM and I have not paid a dime for it. Even though I have that, I bought a PAL and use my iPod (that I have just for the Z). I never ever listen to the XM. Even for free.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:23 PM
jc9767
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cliff notes: You wanted something for free that you weren't entitled to and they said no.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:26 PM
jc9767
Racer

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
They are in trouble regardless. With the popularity of smartphones, tablets, touchscreen NAV's, etc.. & fast mobile internet (3G/4G). Its only a matter of time before people stop paying monthly fees or signing annual contracts for subscription satellite radio & use free streaming music services instead.

I started using Pandora about 4 years ago and during that time you couldnt find a single car that offered Pandora streaming as OEM option. These days, half of the vehicles available have an OEM solution to stream Pandora. Considering media streaming (both audio & video) is only getting more popular by the day. Now the ESPN, iHeartRadio, Spotify, iTunes Cloud, etc are all online and available in several mobile solutions.. Its just a matter of time before these satellite radio companies all but disappear.
Music streaming is not free, you pay for it out of your data plan. With the restrictions in data plans increasing I see the price of these services going up. I'm not for either group, I only listen to sports on AM, otherwise I drive without the radio. Wife likes XM, we have a lifetime contract, so no billing issues. That said, poor customer service will doom them in the long run.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:27 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Never had a problem with them. I usually use the phone though and usually within seconds the issue is resolved...I avoid online chat help like they are the plague...traded my z06 for a zr1, called to CAN the account on the z06, they asked if I traded the car, said yes, and they promptly turned my new "trial" on...2 min tops, and credited my account for the un-used portion of time on the z06...
Old 04-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Wyndridge3
Drifting

No surprises here. Get an iPod.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:01 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I had no issues with XM for the 3 years I had it, when I decided on Pandora and a new head unit I canceled in writing with zero issues ahead of my renewal.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:21 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Wyndridge3
No surprises here. Get an iPod.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Salty Dawg
Salty Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Stern!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I just listen to the Corsa cans and on road trips drop in a book on CD, which is free from the library.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:34 PM
2010SilverVette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default SiriusXM

I purchased the lifetime Sirius for my SSR. I have had it for a total of eight years and never had a problem with calling in and getting help. I did however try to get an XM account added to my account but they would not let me add because I purchased a lifetime membership. I now purchased two more XM accounts one for the Corvette and one for my wife's Malibu. I called to re-establish my account and they offered me one year for 99 dollars. You might want to ask for that.

Get notified of new replies

To No Wonder Why Sirius is in Financial Trouble

Quick Reply: No Wonder Why Sirius is in Financial Trouble