C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie and an unfriendly encounter

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:04 AM
nsx2C6
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie and an unfriendly encounter

Greetings! I figured I would introduce myself. I am a newbie to the realm of Corvettes and recently acquired a pristine 09 Velocity Yellow 3LT A6. My boss has a Red 07 C6 and he was kind enough to let me drive his car one day and I became intoxicated with the power and performance of the vehicle. After that I decided to get one myself. I looked for quite sometime for a perfect specimen and recently found one.

During my drive from Chicago to Minneapolis, I saw numerous other Corvette owners and they all would smile and wave at me. From the paper plates, they could tell that I was a newbie and they all seemed pleasant. Heck, when I stopped to fill up with gas, people would approach me to chat about the car. It was a really neat experience.

Because I enjoy driving the car so much, I now find myself running errands for my wife that I used to shun. Recently, she asked me to go and pick up some pizzas for the kids. When I got to my destination, I parked out in the middle of nowhere and hiked to the my destination (I don't know how resilient the body is to door dings so I just park it far away from others). My car has the setting for the auto activation of the alarm after exiting the vehicle. Since the car is new to me, I seem to find myself turning around to make sure it does indeed activate. I demonstrated this same behaviour this time around as well. On my walk to the pizza place, I noticed a guy in a SUV glaring at me. I thought nothing of it and went in to get my pizzas. I was in the store under 5 minutes. As I approached my car, I noticed a note on my windshield. My initial thought was that some local Corvette guys were inviting me to a drive or something like that, for my prior experiences were all so warm. To my dismay, it was a hateful (and stupid) note. Normally, such pettiness wouldn't bother me, but recently I have recently noticed that there has been a rash of hate towards those that are successful (anti-1% BS even though one is not part of the so called 1% crowd).

I transcribed the words from the note, but did not keep the note for it was unusually oily and stained. Here is the message left behind:

"Just because you have a overpriced flashy ride, you dont need to stair & watch people park. People like you are why there are so many poblems in world!" .... NOTE: I did not make typos, the message is exactly as was written (stair instead of stare and poblems instead of problems).

So I suppose part of this message is the question, do others have such experiences and how do you handle it? I will add that the note did not alter my appreciation for the Corvette and I drive the car daily because it does put a really big smile on my face! I guess now I will simply be more cognizant of my surroundings.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:15 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The note is just a one-off encounter...the rest of the attention is the norm. Relax and enjoy
Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

I've never come across it.

That said, people driving division in this country will rue the day they started it. It's a cancer and needs to stop.

Most people, tho, are good people. Some of them are genuine performance car people, and nearly all of them are great folks. You'll meet some fantastic people just because you own a Corvette.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the note-writer is the one with the problem. I wouldn't think twice about it. You can come across unpleasant people no matter what you drive. Most experiences with your Corvette should be good ones!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:21 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Only had the most enjoyable experiences thus far. Stupid exists everywhere, so its bound to happen some day.

File the paper, ignore it. Put your smile back on and enjoy!!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:22 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

I would forget about it, you can tell the intelligence level... Probably drug addict.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Ramblin On
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on your purchase. You have a fine car to drive and enjoy. Do not let an a$$ diminish your joy. I am a newer member of this forum, but I never had any such response to my Corvette. I once had a gentleman ask how much I paid for it. I noticed he was driving a nice, late model crew cab pickup truck, so I responded I paid about as much for my Corvette as he did for his truck. If you have priced newer pickup trucks, SUVs, etc. you know this is a fairly accurate comparison. I think it tends to defuse many situations. Use it if you want to.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:52 AM
justinkscott
Advanced

I have endured this sort of people a lot. You just have to realize they are envious, and lashing out at you to make themselves feel better. Try to take it as a complement. If they are still present, and you are feeling bold and spiteful.. Laugh as you read the note; put it back where you found it. Then take out your phone and video record the note, then slowly sweep the rest of the parking lot. You can delete the video later; it is just to make them self conscious.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:54 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I looked at Chevy crew cab diesels that were more than my C6. I ended up with a gas motor 2500HD that still almost ran me $40k. I will never pay $70k for a truck. Never. That being said, never mind the idiot that left the note.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:55 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on a GREAT ride!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:25 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Look at the bright side man: He didn't key your car . Even though you paid a lot less than a new one, most people can't tell what year it is, and perceive the car as 'expensive', so you need to watch where you park it. I'd definitely avoid Walmarts and such, where it'd be too easy for somebody to 'accidentally' scratch or ding your car. And at least with GSs and above, you also need to watch where you pull over, since they tend to scrape everywhere. My chin spoiler is still intact, but sometimes I have to park a block away to avoid scraping it . But walking is good for your health . I'm not paranoid, but lots of envious people that would love to harm nice cars if they think the can get away with it (at least where I live). That's why I rarely like to drive my brother's exotic cars by myself. My mundane GS is bad enough. Ha ha. Enjoy your car .

Last edited by JCtx; 04-30-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:33 AM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've never ran across something like that.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Congrats on the Corvette and welcome to the forum

Enjoy your Corvette and don't worry about crazy people. I have had people come up to me and my car to complain about me buying a gas eating Corvette.

I totally enjoy asking them to take a look at my MPG on the DIC
Old 04-30-2012, 01:41 AM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had more motorcycles and cars pull up wanting to race. Also got a couple neighbors on the block that think it's nice to have money to buy corvette. If they spent less on booze, they could own a vette too.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:43 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

1. Congratulations on the new purchase and welcome the Corvette world and forum!

2. Be grateful the guy didn't do any damage.

3. Get out there and enjoy that new car and drive it like you stole it!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:55 AM
Salt
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats and welcome Dont let the hate crap bother you, as said before, ENJOY the ride
Old 04-30-2012, 04:46 AM
1-USA
Advanced

Great letter and much appreciated.

I have two planes and two Corvettes in my hanger. Working hard to acquire them among other things and at the age of 58 let me tell you this.
The world is full of underachievers, jealous and envious people. The problem here belongs to them, not you.
You mostly likely worked hard for your beautiful car…you are proud….congratulations!

Remember, you could be God and people will hate you….Jesus proved that!

Have fun and enjoy the ride!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie and an unfriendly encounter

Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Congrats on the 'new' car and welcome to the Forum.

You've encountered some of the best and worst sides of Corvette ownership in a short period of time.

Clueless morons are everywhere, just try to avoid their spawning grounds and otherwise ignore the pretenders.

Enjoy the car and wave.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:56 AM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I think the funniest thing that ever happened to me was at a night car show with all types of cars. I had my new to me 08 vette there and I do alot research etc... before I buy anything and was explaining to a group of people what I had and what I had done to it. What I hadn't noticed was an older gentleman giving me a eat crap and die look, (I was 27 at the time so I guess i was a punk kid to him). I later heard that he told another guy that he couldn't believe a young kid like myself could afford a car like that. What he hadn't realized is at the time I make good money and my wife also makes good money and we hadn't yet had a kid so I had alot of extra money to play with. I guess some folks get jealous of what others have and that's their issue not yours.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:04 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

This is my 3rd Vette and I have had a few cars a lot more expensive than this. I have never encountered a problem.
Maybe because of this....
Friday night I was at the local cruise in, I was carrying my gun as I usually do when out. I guess someone saw the bulge under my T shirt. I was checking out Joe G's ride when two cops walked up to me and one said,
Cop, "Good evening sir, someone said to us that they think you are carrying a gun"
Me "yes sir".
Cop " Do you have a concealed carry permit"
Me "yes" and I showed him
Cop "Enjoy the rest of your evening sir"

Met two foum members for the first time that night, Joe G and Jpulia.
Both great guys.
Don't sweat people who leave notes on your car, they aren't worth it.
David

Quick Reply: Newbie and an unfriendly encounter