C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door panels rattling w/ base

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 01:27 PM
scapegoat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door panels rattling w/ bass

So it would appear i can't put any amount of bass through the speakers because the door panels on both sides rattle. anyone else noticing this issue? have a fix?

i love this car, but the biggest drawback is that this 2010 vette's interior is about a decade behind the 2010 mustang gt i traded in for it...

Last edited by scapegoat; 05-04-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Surf2602
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used sound deadening material in the doors. Problem solved
Old 05-04-2012, 02:43 PM
djohnsto
Intermediate

I agree with Surf. Sound deadening material, like Dynamat, will work wonders. It's excellent to stop base rattling and road noise.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure the panels are rattling? Maybe it's blown woofers?

Never had problems with rattling with the stock speakers, and I played them pretty hard. Replaced all the door speakers, added insulation, and I play it really loud, and no issues. But the key is, there isn't much in the door that could "rattle" because of bass.

There is one wire harness that could possibly be hitting the panel or door, but thats taped up and shouldn't make much noise (I wrapped mine in foam when I redid the speakers just in case), and there's the door panel itself.

My door panel came from the factory broken... Mounting tabs on the upper panel were shattered, so the panel could have hit against the lower panel, but it would be unlikely that would happen to both doors.

Other than that, there's not much in the door that can move.

I know people love to complain about the interior, but seriously, the interior is built just like every other interior out there, and shouldn't cause any more issues than most. Sure, Chevy went the lighter and/or cheaper way, and didn't wrap the plastics in nice squishy materials, but when you take it apart, it's held together in the same way as most other cars.

Last edited by WAwatchnut; 05-04-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:45 PM
0Supervettes LLC
Supporting Vendor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

We use Dynaudio 9.5" Midbass Drivers with 200 watt RMS each, with a 1.4" MDF speaker plate ring, and Hushmat sound deadening. Zero rattle, tons of bass.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by scapegoat
So it would appear i can't put any amount of base through the speakers because the door panels on both sides rattle. anyone else noticing this issue? have a fix?

i love this car, but the biggest drawback is that this 2010 vette's interior is about a decade behind the 2010 mustang gt i traded in for it...
I test drove the 5.0 (2012) and the interior is not nicer than the Vette in any way. The Vette isnt great but its no worse than the Mustang.

Why people think that is beyond me. Mustang is JUST as much plastic and the leather is not as good.

Let me ask you, does it matter is the window is down or up? Just be glad you didnt spend the extra money on the Blows system.

Easy fix is to put in some new speakers.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:17 PM
scapegoat
Advanced

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
Are you sure the panels are rattling? Maybe it's blown woofers?

Never had problems with rattling with the stock speakers, and I played them pretty hard. Replaced all the door speakers, added insulation, and I play it really loud, and no issues. But the key is, there isn't much in the door that could "rattle" because of bass.

There is one wire harness that could possibly be hitting the panel or door, but thats taped up and shouldn't make much noise (I wrapped mine in foam when I redid the speakers just in case), and there's the door panel itself.

My door panel came from the factory broken... Mounting tabs on the upper panel were shattered, so the panel could have hit against the lower panel, but it would be unlikely that would happen to both doors.

Other than that, there's not much in the door that can move.
i think it's the panel, if i hold my elbow against it the sound stops. this is with the windows up (it's been raining(... i'll test again w/ them down.

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
I test drove the 5.0 (2012) and the interior is not nicer than the Vette in any way. The Vette isnt great but its no worse than the Mustang.

Why people think that is beyond me. Mustang is JUST as much plastic and the leather is not as good.
i feel that the fit, finish, quality, and design of the mustang was better and more enjoyable. the vette just feels a bit aged inside... the dated interior doesnt match the more updated exterior. the shifter boot is rubbish and the seats are too slippery since they're so smooth. overall interior design is rather dull and not very inspiring. but i didn't buy the car to be inspired by the interior

the corvette is a true sports car though, and a chevy, so i expect to lose some things like interior quality . overall though, i enjoy the corvette so much more than i did the mustang... and i've had it for less than a week.

Let me ask you, does it matter is the window is down or up? Just be glad you didnt spend the extra money on the Blows system.

Easy fix is to put in some new speakers.
definitely going to get some new speakers... looking at putting in an avic-z140bh, not going to neglect upgraded speakers dumping that kind of money into a nav haha

Last edited by scapegoat; 05-04-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:34 PM
0Supervettes LLC
Supporting Vendor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

i think it's the panel, if i hold my elbow against it the sound stops. this is with the windows up (it's been raining(... i'll test again w/ them down.

i feel that the fit, finish, quality, and design of the mustang was better and more enjoyable. the vette just feels a bit aged inside... the dated interior doesnt match the more updated exterior. the shifter boot is rubbish and the seats are too slippery since they're so smooth. overall interior design is rather dull and not very inspiring. but i didn't buy the car to be inspired by the interior

the corvette is a true sports car though, and a chevy, so i expect to lose some things like interior quality . overall though, i enjoy the corvette so much more than i did the mustang... and i've had it for less than a week.

definitely going to get some new speakers... looking at putting in an avic-z140bh, not going to neglect upgraded speakers dumping that kind of money into a nav haha
Give us a call, we have perfected the setup for C5/C6's...

Dynaudio Esotec 3way Components are absolutely incredible in these cars. Tons of bass... most don't even need a separate sub... IF you do, we got you covered there as well. They are a little pricey, but worth every penny... as far as components, we have used Focal, JL Audio, CDT Audio, Image Dynamics, Rockford Fosgate, etc... nothing compares... zero ear fatigue, loud, clear, smooth... (100% of the individuals who have heard these systems we install say they are the best they have ever heard in a Corvette!

We use a combination of hushmat and our own pre-cut sound/heating/cooling insulation, and it makes a night and day difference.

The interior is very simple in these cars, and for that reason, not a lot of time or money went into taking care of the rattles and cricketing noises at the GM plant... - however, these small changes make a world of difference. We also use some hushmat around each individual clip to hold them in place and stop any potential rattling at all. Its a new experience driving these cars when we're done with them.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:29 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The main sections of the door panel are held in place by fasteners that lock on pretty tight. The top of the panel though is just secured by tension (spring clips) and there is both metal to metal, and metal to hard plastic contact. Could be where the noise is coming from. One benefit of adding a sound barrier (like ensolite) is you get rid of gaps and add a buffer in between hard contact points.

It's also possible that the previous owner may have removed the door panels at some point, and broken one or more of the fasteners. They break pretty easily, and are really expensive at the dealer to replace, so maybe a broken one was reused? You might want to try to pull up around the edges of the door panel (back edge, bottom, front edge) and see if there is any play in the panel. There should be none. The fasteners are spaced about 8" apart all around those edges. If the fasteners are in good shape, it takes a lot of pull to actually remove the panel.

Last, you can check the torx bolts that secure the door handles and panels to the doors - if you look up at the panel, you'll see little covers in the plastic - pop those off and you can get to the bolts.

There really shouldn't be much noise in the door, so I'm thinking something's not quite right.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:21 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So it would appear i can't put any amount of bass through the speakers because the door panels on both sides rattle. anyone else noticing this issue? have a fix?

I had rattles like this, loose bolts on window channels. I would not waste my money on sound deadener, fix the hardware and you should not have any rattles.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I still have an 09 Coupe with 12,000 miles on it. It has the Bose System. Every once in a while I get a rattle from the door panels. I also have a 12 Equinox. I would say the Equinox Sound System is much better than my Corvette...I sure hope the C7 gets a different Sound System...
Old 05-16-2016, 09:17 PM
Waylanddenton
1st Gear

I'm having the same problem with my 09. Certain bass notes vibrate the door panels on both sides. Thinking about doing a dynomat treatment to try and solve the problem. Anybody tried that?

Get notified of new replies

To door panels rattling w/ base

Quick Reply: door panels rattling w/ base