C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somebody Keyed My Car - Where to Park?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 10:19 PM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry that really sux
Old 05-05-2012, 10:34 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

That is why I'm tempted not to buy a real nice daily driver. I currently have an 07 Impala SS and it has a couple dings and scratches. I don't worry about it to be honest. People get pissed off at just about any vehicle these days.

Knocking on wood but my Vette has only been screwed with once. Two screws ended up in the rear tires somehow in the exact same place on each tire, about 1 inch inboard. While I cannot prove that someone put it there I'm guessing they did or I should drive down to Vegas. Maybe not since I would be real unlucky to get a screw in different tires.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
The paint can still be scratched from errant door edges though.

I park away from other cars, but try to keep it some place visible. But as RLSebring said, it could happen anywhere.

Sorry about the scratches. People who do s$#t like that should be caned and then imprisoned. And then forced to hard labor to pay for the stuff they've damaged.

complete scum...
Old 05-05-2012, 11:17 PM
GCRoberts
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe it's time for a class action lawsuit against the DNC for stirring up all this 1% ********. You probably had some ******* thinking he was making a stand against the man!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:19 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
complete scum...
Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

So sorry about your damage. Corvettes have always been a prime target for all sorts of vandalism, and these days it's very much in vogue to vilify anyone who looks like they may be better off than you. (Hell, it's even one of the cornerstones of Obama's re-election campaign.)

I no longer park my Vette where I cannot see it at all times -- it just takes a few seconds to really mess up a paint job. I wish that wasn't true -- but it is. So much for freedom.

Even if the perps are somehow caught and convicted, nothing much really happens to them.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:26 PM
VetteTrpr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I caught the scrum he wouldnt be making a stand ,or for that matter even standing for long................
Old 05-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

I think mjcourt has it about right. I am over the top with my Corvette so I just don't drive it anywhere and everywhere especially if I know I have to leave the car for a significant period. I would rather leave it in the garage than drive to a higher risk area although shix heads are everywhere. I don't buy the it is just a car and can be fixed view. The fix is never factory original aside for the hassle and cost. When possible, I also park near landscape on one side or an end space where any one who parks beside me can only park on one side. I park out away from the pack and I never take two places as I think that is going to draw undue attention and some jealous *** may want to key the car for spite. Sad world we live in. Protect your car and yourself.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Yes it shows how far we have degraded. Back in the day for me in the early 70's I drove any one of my four Z28 's anywhere i wanted and even to the bars and restaurants at night. Left them out there half the night. We all did. I never heard of anything like that happening and don't even remember it crossing my mind.
Now I hear of it all the time and seems to be getting worse. I never park my Z anywhere ever these days where it is not in my sight at all times. That's why my mileage is ridicously low. It's also why I'll probably never buy another Vette again. So many tricked out cars you can buy now that just blend in. Nothing subtle about our cars- they are designed to grab attention and not let go!!!

Last edited by Frankie2blue; 05-06-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:16 AM
lemgomez
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually park mid lot next to a tree or something, I always say those who make their cars stand out as obviously trying to avoid damage are the most likely to get f'd with. Especially parking across multiple parking spaces, thats a good way to get your car keyed.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It doesn't seem to matter, if there's someone intent on keying they'll get you wherever you park.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:38 AM
IowaGuy
Intermediate

We camaro folks suffer the same jealous wrath unfortunately. I suspect Ford red necks with chip on their shoulder are responsible for a fair share.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 AM
morgaa01
Heel & Toe

Maybe it's me - but I always try to park in the most empty area of a parkling lot - like at the mall or Home Depot/Lowes - almost always I come out and another car is parked right next to mine - I guess they just want to take a look at the vette
Old 05-06-2012, 10:58 AM
BadgeZ28
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know what it is, but I try parking away from other cars and when I return I have a car parked on either side. The ironic thing is there are still lots of empty spaces away from it.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Wyndridge3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer

I no longer park my Vette where I cannot see it at all times -- it just takes a few seconds to really mess up a paint job. I wish that wasn't true -- but it is. So much for freedom.
Same here. I'd drive it a whole lot more otherwise...
Old 05-06-2012, 11:05 AM
velomaxx
Intermediate

I don't buy the blame the victim arguments about bringing it on yourself by where the car is parked. That is over thinking the whole thing in my view. It is bs vandalism, pure and simple. I don't think it matters where or how we park, it is opportunistic, and parking next to other cars will guarantee door dings. Even parking in employee/private garages where people know each other door dings happen with regularity. So I try to park away from other cars, and away from likely walking paths, and if I can take a corner or spot where I can give extra room I will. If you've had this done to you it is not your fault.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:24 AM
gar4403
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's aweful. It happens to all cars ...daughters 8 year old Rav4.

Maybe we could keep the haters away if we all had stickers in our cars that said "your SUV cost as much as my car" or "not a hybrid, but 26 MPG"

I agree with previous post ...it's pure an simple vandalism. Only place to keep it safe is in your own garage.

Get notified of new replies

To Somebody Keyed My Car - Where to Park?

Old 05-06-2012, 11:29 AM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I wonder if where we park makes any difference. If some clod cant respect anyones "stuff", the location probably makes no difference.

Sorry to hear about the paint, I hope it can be corrected without too much BS.

One more thing. When I see a lone vette parked, if I'm in my DD I will go out of my way to park next to it, carefully to perhaps act as a buffer. Probably a worthless action, but it makes me feel better.

Last edited by vettman96; 05-06-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: addition
Old 05-06-2012, 11:37 AM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

OH booDoesn't it make you want to

If I can park on an end up close and really hug the line, then I park right at the front. If not, NEVER in between other cars. I will park out but where there are other cars sort of around. I do think that if you park so far away from other cars, then you're just a target waiting for some low life to come along. OH! And NEVER by one of those cart return things.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 AM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
If you have any idea where/when it happened, maybe there is a security video of the crime. Wouldn't that be nice!
So you get a grainy picture of whoever did it! Then what? Ever try to get any police invovlement in any thing like this? They can't be bothered and consider you a pest.

I had just repainted my 420SEL many years ago, when some kids started shooting off bottle rockets from their car in creep & crawl traffic. One of those bottle rockets hits the side of my car and went down the side for the length of the car leaving a deep scratch. Kids rolled up their windows and locked their doors when I approached the car. I took theiar license plate numbers and description to police who almost laughed me out of the precinct house. Went to my insurance company to make a claim for paint repair and they told me to get lost (until I contacted their customer service hotline). Local clams office threatened to cancel my insurance if I pursued the claim, but did not follow through on their threat.

My point is knowing who did it is not going to help, unless you are going to go vigilante on them or try to find their parents to make things right.

Quick Reply: Somebody Keyed My Car - Where to Park?