C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somebody Keyed My Car - Where to Park?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:48 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Somebody keyed My Wifes new Lexus recently.I glad I didn't catch him I would have beaten the snot out of him and probably landed in jail.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Johns94Z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People are messed up. I was at Best Buy the other day and im one of those guys that parks away from others. Now people generally have a bad view of people like me who do this. I dont do it because i wanna be different, because i think im too good to park with everyone else, or because i think my car is just too good to be parked next to other cars. I do it because i want to take care of it. No one can dispute that accidents happen, and also people have a general lack of respect for other people's property. I think this is the same reason most people park away. But for some reason people like to park near me when i try to park away and it aggravates the hell out of me because it defeats the whole purpose. Anyway, i was in my car sending a couple text messages about to get out and here comes this Chevy Cruze and a 98-02 Camaro. They park right next to me with me in the car. Now i felt a slight urge to point out that the parking lot is wide open and they could have left at least 1 spot in between us incase a gust of wind caught one of our doors or something which around here is totally possible. But they were kind of hot and about my age.. And they were lookin at me. So i let it slide haha. But then i got out to go in while they were about to head in and i for some reason had my fob out of my pocket so when i went to walk away the car honked at me to let me know i was an idiot who left his keys in the car. Fail...
Old 05-06-2012, 12:03 PM
BLK281
Racer

It seems like this crap is more commonplace with the economy in the tank. Jealous MFers who can't stand the fact someone has a nicer vehicle then them. And it's not confined to status cars. My neighbors new Hyundai was keyed in the WalMart parking lot last weekend. A HYUNDAI.

I never take my Vette anywhere I can't physically watch it. Period. Does it take some of the joy out of it? Absolutely. But it's just the way it is.

I have a Range Rover as a daily driver and when I park it I don't park it out of the way but I have started to park it where I know people can see it or better yet I know cameras are around. If it does get keyed the cowardly pukes better pray to god I can't identify them.

Then again- it might be A LOT of fun beating the crap outta scum bags like that.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:34 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

I’m sure most of us don’t put bumper stickers on our Corvettes, but having pro or anti gun, religion, politician, etc stickers may get some jerks riled up enough to scratch a car. Also license plates saying how fast or great your car is could do it. Staying below the perps radar may help. That’s why I generally don’t part WAY out away from everyone which makes the car stand out. I aim to park at the outer edge of the masses where people tend to leave spaces between cars but your car is not screaming “look at me”
Old 05-06-2012, 01:22 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by florida john
So you get a grainy picture of whoever did it! Then what? Ever try to get any police invovlement in any thing like this? They can't be bothered and consider you a pest.

I had just repainted my 420SEL many years ago, when some kids started shooting off bottle rockets from their car in creep & crawl traffic. One of those bottle rockets hits the side of my car and went down the side for the length of the car leaving a deep scratch. Kids rolled up their windows and locked their doors when I approached the car. I took theiar license plate numbers and description to police who almost laughed me out of the precinct house. Went to my insurance company to make a claim for paint repair and they told me to get lost (until I contacted their customer service hotline). Local clams office threatened to cancel my insurance if I pursued the claim, but did not follow through on their threat.

My point is knowing who did it is not going to help, unless you are going to go vigilante on them or try to find their parents to make things right.
Unbelievable. Plus, if you had done something to the kids or their car, they would have arrested YOU.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:37 PM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johns94Z
Anyway, i was in my car sending a couple text messages about to get out and here comes this Chevy Cruze and a 98-02 Camaro. They park right next to me with me in the car. Now i felt a slight urge to point out that the parking lot is wide open and they could have left at least 1 spot in between us
Simpler to just move your car.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:42 PM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thrill6
As soon as I saw the title, I said to myself "I bet he was parked out in the middle of nowhere". When you park you nice car away from all the other cars, your car sticks out like a sore thumb attracting the exact kind of attention you are trying to avoid.
I have parked my "Yo! Officer!!" Yellow C6 out in the middle of nowhere for 7 years so far and have never once been keyed. Never been door-dinged or hit by a shopping cart, either.

I'll continue to take my chances and park in the South 40.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:11 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by florida john
So you get a grainy picture of whoever did it! Then what? Ever try to get any police invovlement in any thing like this? They can't be bothered and consider you a pest.

I had just repainted my 420SEL many years ago, when some kids started shooting off bottle rockets from their car in creep & crawl traffic. One of those bottle rockets hits the side of my car and went down the side for the length of the car leaving a deep scratch. Kids rolled up their windows and locked their doors when I approached the car. I took theiar license plate numbers and description to police who almost laughed me out of the precinct house. Went to my insurance company to make a claim for paint repair and they told me to get lost (until I contacted their customer service hotline). Local clams office threatened to cancel my insurance if I pursued the claim, but did not follow through on their threat.

My point is knowing who did it is not going to help, unless you are going to go vigilante on them or try to find their parents to make things right.
It's an eye for an eye. Take care of business now no paper work or nothing.
We don't call 911.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:14 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Johns94Z
People are messed up. I was at Best Buy the other day and im one of those guys that parks away from others. Now people generally have a bad view of people like me who do this. I dont do it because i wanna be different, because i think im too good to park with everyone else, or because i think my car is just too good to be parked next to other cars. I do it because i want to take care of it. No one can dispute that accidents happen, and also people have a general lack of respect for other people's property. I think this is the same reason most people park away. But for some reason people like to park near me when i try to park away and it aggravates the hell out of me because it defeats the whole purpose. Anyway, i was in my car sending a couple text messages about to get out and here comes this Chevy Cruze and a 98-02 Camaro. They park right next to me with me in the car. Now i felt a slight urge to point out that the parking lot is wide open and they could have left at least 1 spot in between us incase a gust of wind caught one of our doors or something which around here is totally possible. But they were kind of hot and about my age.. And they were lookin at me. So i let it slide haha. But then i got out to go in while they were about to head in and i for some reason had my fob out of my pocket so when i went to walk away the car honked at me to let me know i was an idiot who left his keys in the car. Fail...
You do not want to get hit with one of those doors from a Camaro. They are heavy and long.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:17 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BLK281
It seems like this crap is more commonplace with the economy in the tank. Jealous MFers who can't stand the fact someone has a nicer vehicle then them. And it's not confined to status cars. My neighbors new Hyundai was keyed in the WalMart parking lot last weekend. A HYUNDAI.

I never take my Vette anywhere I can't physically watch it. Period. Does it take some of the joy out of it? Absolutely. But it's just the way it is.

I have a Range Rover as a daily driver and when I park it I don't park it out of the way but I have started to park it where I know people can see it or better yet I know cameras are around. If it does get keyed the cowardly pukes better pray to god I can't identify them.

Then again- it might be A LOT of fun beating the crap outta scum bags like that.
The Occupy Movement. If your car is parked when an event like that draws out all the slime it attract, cars and anything in their path get destroyed.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:28 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
Yes it shows how far we have degraded. Back in the day for me in the early 70's I drove any one of my four Z28 's anywhere i wanted and even to the bars and restaurants at night. Left them out there half the night. We all did. I never heard of anything like that happening and don't even remember it crossing my mind. ...
No argument intended from me, but keying cars occurred in the Chicago and Pittsburgh areas in the 60s and on into the 70s.

I'm sure there are more lowlifes today (larger population) and more targets (one car families were the norm in the 50s and 60s), but vandalism is nothing new.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:31 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jackhall99
No argument intended from me, but keying cars occurred in the Chicago and Pittsburgh areas in the 60s and on into the 70s.

I'm sure there are more lowlifes today (larger population) and more targets (one car families were the norm in the 50s and 60s), but vandalism is nothing new.
Here we do have a overpopulation problem.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:31 PM
rgauchey
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you park properly. By that I meen 1 stall. I've seen people park away from everyone but take 4 stalls. I always thought that was asking for trouble from some a$$.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:37 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Actually, back in 'the day', a knife into the sidewall was a form of vandalism that was worse. Not sure if that happens today as much.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 PM
pmt67usa
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Somebody Keyed My Car

Originally Posted by rgauchey
Did you park properly. By that I meen 1 stall. I've seen people park away from everyone but take 4 stalls. I always thought that was asking for trouble from some a$$.
Yes, I was parked in a single space at the end of a row.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:16 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WarDriver
I have parked my "Yo! Officer!!" Yellow C6 out in the middle of nowhere for 7 years so far and have never once been keyed. Never been door-dinged or hit by a shopping cart, either.

I'll continue to take my chances and park in the South 40.
OK. You take the South 40, and I'll take East Bumfawk.
So far, so good.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:42 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Someone was Jealous

Get notified of new replies

To Somebody Keyed My Car - Where to Park?

Old 05-06-2012, 07:57 PM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Does the lot have security cameras?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This crap happens to all cars/trucks at one time or another. I had my 03 Silverado keyed about a month ago. Whatayagonnado?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:04 PM
LPT2011
Instructor

Totally sucks !!!

I ALWAYS park away from the crowd. I've seen my share of "stupid" people in parking lots. And the vast majority of "key scratches" are actually "shopping cart scratches". If you park with the crowd .. don't be surprised if your car gets scratched

Quick Reply: Somebody Keyed My Car - Where to Park?